YEA! Back in the Klipsch Family

teknoid

After a more than 3 year absence of Klipsch speakers in my house I'm very pleased to say that the drought has ended.

Last night I gave the finishing touches to a Heresy project that I've been working on for more than a year.

I had a pair of cabinets that I don't recall where I got them from. Gradually as budget allowed I picked up the various bits and pieces and last weekend the final parts arrived.

Then came the required crossover updates and mods. As I wasn't able to afford the Atlas squawker drivers I opted for the Selenium drivers mated to the K700 horns. This required the use of Mr. Crites tweeters and the -4500 mod to the crossovers.

As they are right now they have K22EF woofers, K700 squawker hours with Selenium D250-X drivers, (borrowed) CT125 tweeters, and E2-4500 dividing networks updated with Solen capacitors.

So the obvious question is "how do they sound?". Well... They sound a heck of lot how I remember Heresys sounding. That's a good thing. They could stand a bit more bass but that's nothing a decent subwoofer can't fix.

As time passes and "extra" $$ dribble in the plan is to change out the woofers to a pair from Mr. Crites and purchase my own pair of of CT125 tweeters.

This is what it all currently looks like:

Stereo_zpsm0joqr5b.jpg

Forgive the dust. I'm a single guy and housekeeping is not my thing.

Edited by teknoid
  • Like 8

How's the Onkyo Integra A-9711 holding up?

The input selector has gone wonky. An easy fix with a can of compressed air and perhaps some DeOxIt but I haven't taken the time to tear in to it. For now just spinning the knob rapidly a few times is all it takes to make things right.

Edited by teknoid

How's the Onkyo Integra A-9711 holding up?

The input selector has gone wonky. An easy fix with a can of compressed air and perhaps some DeOxIt but I haven't taken the time to tear in to it. For now just spinning the knob rapidly a few times is all it takes to make things right.

That's what I had to do every few months or so.  If it got daily use, the "problem" rarely reared it's ugly head.

Bill

I suspect that regular usage is part of the problem. Where I was it didn't get used a whole lot. I've moved out of my house (long story with an unhappy ending) and in to half of a duplex about 7 miles away. As such this kit is now my main audio system. This should mean something like daily use. Especially since it's a pair of pseudo-Heresys  making the sound.

I've been in here less than a week so I'm still in "where the heck did I pack ???" mode in order to do things as simply as eating.

What I do find kind of funny is that my Sister who lives a couple of doors down dinged me for prioritizing my stereo over pretty much every thing else. All I could respond with was "So?'

What I do find kind of funny is that my Sister who lives a couple of doors down dinged me for prioritizing my stereo over pretty much every thing else. All I could respond with was "So?'

You forgot the..............and? :D  

Bill

You forgot the..............and? :D  

Bill

My stereo gear has always been the last to be packed and first to be unpacked and set up. I don't see a problem here at all.

Welcome back!

Bruce

• Like 1

• Moderators
After a more than 3 year absence of Klipsch speakers in my house I'm very pleased to say that the drought has ended.

Man that's a long time without Klipsch!  Talk about withdrawals.  Glad to hear they are back in your home Jeff.

Jeff, I have you partially to blame for my fall into Heritage territory.  Yours were the only other pair of LaScalas I've ever heard and they were amazing.

My stereo gear has always been the last to be packed and first to be unpacked and set up. I don't see a problem here at all.

Me too.  My wife used to get mad when we moved because I would be hooking up cables so we could have some tunes while we unpacked the rest of the house.  LOL  Trust me Jeff....we all get it.  :D

I've moved out of my house (long story with an unhappy ending) and in to half of a duplex about 7 miles away

Truly sorry to hear that.  Hang in there bro.....Hoping good times are ahead.  :D

Well it was fun while it while it lasted. During a particularly spirited listening session last night the amp dropped the left channel. CRUD!

I knew it was coming. The left channel has been kind of twitchy for a while. I thought it was a dirty source switch so I gave it a bath in Deoxit a couple of months ago. It didn't help any. A bit of research about this particular amp series shows this to be a common problem. Turns out that the switch is built out of unobtainum.

My boss recently upgraded his AVR and has offered me his Pioneer VSX-521-K for $100. I may pull the trigger on it just to have tunes in the living room.

• Like 1

Well it was fun while it while it lasted. During a particularly spirited listening session last night the amp dropped the left channel. CRUD! I knew it was coming. The left channel has been kind of twitchy for a while. I thought it was a dirty source switch so I gave it a bath in Deoxit a couple of months ago. It didn't help any. A bit of research about this particular amp series shows this to be a common problem. Turns out that the switch is built out of unobtainum.

Jeff,

I am so sorry.  What can I do to make it up to you?

All I ever experienced is what I thought was dirty pots.

Bill 

You don't need to do anything. Part of the risk of buying used stereo hardware is that it may fail at some point. I'm OK with that. Besides... I haven't torn in to it yet. It may be an easy fix. I'm on the hunt for a schematic. Once I have that I'll be able to do some testing to determine exactly what the problem is.

In the mean time the mentioned Pioneer AVR is on it's way to me. I suspect I won't like the sound but at least I'll have tunes to dance to in the shower tomorrow morning.

Now THERE'S an image you'll have trouble getting out of your head. ;)

You're welcome

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I've been listening to my pseudo-heresys driven by a Pioneer AVR pretty much every night for about a month and I'm happy to report that I was completely wrong. I really expected the Pioneer AVR to totally suck sound wise when used as a 2-channel receiver. As it turns out it doesn't "suck" but rather it does what an amplifier should do: Take a small signal and turn it in to a big signal without any form of coloration.

Color me surprised.

No matter... I'm back to listening to my favorite tunes at a volume that pisses off my neighbors. They can just get the #$% over it.

I really need one of those "pissing off the neighbors since..." T-Shirts.

• Like 3

As it turns out it doesn't "suck" but rather it does what an amplifier should do: Take a small signal and turn it in to a big signal without any form of coloration.

Jeff,

That's the way I like my gear to perform.  

Source material in, source material out. :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:  

I really need one of those "pissing off the neighbors since..." T-Shirts.

Let your music do all the talking. ;)  :D 

Bill