Klipsch chorus 2

bobcat30

The C-7 is a good alternate to the Academy for mixing in,as mentioned above. Another is the KV-4 center on Klipsch.com search.

Mind you, the timbre match for each have a signature so,keep that in mind as primary decision for now and future system match.Keeping in mind leaving a good bit for a decent AVR or other. Nice electronics around and a buy now, if you shop, or research. If 2 or 3 people can get to a sitdown position, you may be a good candidate so, enjoy those Chorus II.

Edited by billybob

The C-7 is a good alternate to the Academy for mixing in,as mentioned above. Another is the KV-4 center on Klipsch.com search.

Mind you, the timbre match for each have a signature so,keep that in mind as primary decision for now and future system match.Keeping in mind leaving a good bit for a decent AVR or other. Nice electronics around and a buy now, if you shop, or research. If 2 or 3 people can get to a sitdown position, you may be a good candidate so, enjoy those Chorus II.

i was interested in the Onkyo TX-NR828 any thoughts?

Take your pick as the marketplace is crowded as is.

Probably a fine unit to get it started.

Good fortune to you

The Academy is the only real timbre matched center and or surround.  Anything else is a compromise.  Timbre matching is the most important criteria for a surround system.  I have been there and done it.

Totally agree OT, but did not say so...

Bobcat30,

TX-870 is pretty old...... I remember back in my younger days having TXV7M which was Onkyo's first Av receiver. Is the 870 worth anything..... Not much as far as resale. I would make a good garage 2 channel system..... But you are going to need a strong shelf. As far as your question about rears RS series

5 inch woofer or larger. Heresy would be great. Stands to get Heresy's high enough will be tough..... Possibly something like a mission style plant stand. Keep cruising Ebay/CList and this forum.

You will eventually find everything.

Edited by oldred

The Academy is the only real timbre matched center and or surround. Anything else is a compromise. Timbre matching is the most important criteria for a surround system. I have been there and done it.

The Academy is a closer match to the original Forte and Chorus... As they all use 90x40 exponential horns for the midrange and tweeter.

The Forte 2 and Chorus 2, though they have 90x40 exponential tweeter horns, use the larger tractrix horns for the midrange.

The KLF-C7 also uses a tractrix horn and has better sensitivity and power handling. It's also easier to find and generally less expensive than the Academy.

I used a C7 between Forte 2's, Chorus 2's and KLF-20's and it's more than capable of keeping up with any of those speakers. But the best center channel for Chorus 2's is another Chorus 2 or a Forte 2.

Just my $0.02...

The heresy better than the ksp?

The Heresy is the better speaker... But depending on your listening preferences (more movies or music listening?), your room setup and the location of the surround speakers, the KSP may work better.

If you have the ability to get the Heresy up near ear level... and the room to put it off to the sides (and just slightly behind) the main listening position, it would do a great job for both movies and music. I prefer direct radiators as my surround speakers (versus bipole/dipole), so I'm slightly biased.

Either one will do the job, so your particular circumstances and preferences would be the determining factor.

• Like 1

A little late to the thread but whatever you power the Chorus IIs with make sure it is powerful. It takes a lot to bring the woofers to life. I pushed mine with a Marantz rated at 125wpc and they were Ok. When I stepped up to a external amp rated at approx 250wpc they came alive.

I ran an Academy as a center and it worked well for on axis listening. 30 degrees of center and you will not appreciate it as much.

• Like 1

I am a huge fan of Onkyo, I own the TX-NR717, but the Onk's have had HUGE and well-known problems with the HDMI boards. 

Before you buy an Onk I strongly suggest you Goggle the 828 and see if it has the HDMI problem (aka network problems, the network is affected by the HDMI daughterboard)  I would tell you if I knew the answer, but I am not as familiar with that model as the older 717 and 818, which DO have that problem.

I'll let others who own the C2's recommend specific brand AVR's which are known to work good with them.

Edited by wvu80

The RS speakers have wide dispersion.  Some people will aim them down if they are up high.  I just use the keyhole and mount them flat to the wall.  They should work fine either way.

I have my RS-7's up high on the sides and angled down to the MLP. Best option for my room.......ymmv

Mount8_zpsu0odc9dl.jpg

• Like 2