ISO: klipsch rf-5's, rf-7's, rf-83's or rf-63's

trailblazers75

• Moderators
Hi, im working on a new home theater system but before i get started i want to find my mains

I think that is a very wise decision.  Electronics only get better and cheaper the longer you wait so it's futile to build a system around "gear".  Starting with your mains will help dictate what direction for the rest of your setup.

I've owned two pair of RF-5's, three pair of RF-7's and a pair of RF-83's.  I've heard willland's RF-63's.  All 4 of them would be fantastic. 

Have you heard the RF-83's in comparison to the RF-7's?  If not, just realize they are on opposite ends of the spectrum in sound.  Both fantastic, just different.  RF-7's are "in your face" while the RF-83's are silky smoothe and refined.  RF-7's can get a bit bright or harsh at extreme levels while the RF-83's never heard my ears at extreme volume.  I posted my thoughts of them in my RF-7 vs RF-7ii vs RF-83 Comparison including lots of pics.

• Moderators

It just really depends on what type of sound your ears prefer.  To my ears, there wasn't any noticeable difference in the bass, it was mostly in the sound of the tweeters.  To me, the RF-7ii have the best qualities of both speakers and have a sound that not too bright but not too smoothe.

• Moderators

The 5's have not quite as large of a sound as the 7's.  Since I don't run a sub in the 2ch setup, I have a pretty large room with high ceilings and open to 3 other rooms so I needed something with more bottom end and ended up with the 7ii's.  Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of those speakers.

Those would be a little out of my price range lol, then id still have to build the rest of my hometheater to match!

2,000$ shipped right to your door. :) deals are out there on palladium stuff. I said I'd buy if I ever win the lottery. Well I didn't but deals came up so I jumped and glad I did.
  • Like 1

Well I will tell you the palladium center channel is better than the rc-64 hands down. So if your searching for the best in the Klipsch line up then it's it. As far as comparing anything side by side I've only hooked up the p-17's for about 30 minutes to play a little stuff on them. As for me diving into the 5.1 set. They aren't going anywhere soon. They sound good. And I have high expectations with my cinema gear in my basement. Cause the reference stuff don't stand a chance to the cinema gear. The palladium stuff is getting me much closer in a much prettier cabinet.

• Like 2

I gotta say, investing in Klipsch reference is the best audio purchase I've ever made. I have the full RF-3 ii surround system and have enjoyed it for years. Recently I was considering going up in the Klipsch reference line, but instead decided to do a crossover network upgrade. It took some trial and error, but once I got it down, WOW, what a difference!! I have so far modded my RF-3 ii towers and they sound better than RF-7 ii stock towers. I am not exaggerating, the difference is truly out of this world! You will not regret buying Reference speakers. The upgrade potential alone makes them worth it.