Panasonic Plasma 50 inch?

billybob

Hello HT,

I have a chance to pickup this monitor for a song and want to know your opinion on the set.It weighs in at 97 lbs. and is in good condition with remote. Made in 2005, I have read on Amazon reviews that this is still a desireable set to own.

Having a 40 inch Sony Bravia already, we are happy :).

http://www.mediacollege.com/equipment/panasonic/tv/th/th50phd7uy.html

Is it worth the effort to haul this beast around and back to our place?

And, been awhile but, could this set be placed on it's back in our wagon or, does it need to be carried in an upright lengthwise position to prevent damaging unit?

As per always, thanks for opinions...

Edited by billybob

I have a chance to pickup this monitor for a song and want to know your opinion on the set.

It's according what you mean by a "song".  Less than $300.00, maybe worth it.

Plus, no digital(HDMI/DVI) connection and only native resolution of 768p.

Just a few things to consider. 

• Like 1

Thinking the case was upright. Nice to be reminded of such a thing. Glass may have something to to with weight and video quality. Will have to see. If used for a monitor, thinking I need to find a slotcard HDMI from source to view it.

Do appreciate the inputs...thanks for helping me to decide.

2 man operation?

Edited by billybob

I still have a 720P Panasonic plasma I bought new many years ago and it works flawlessly. If you can afford it, and have a safe way of transporting it home I would say get it. The picture even in 720P mode is fantastic on the Panny plasmas.

• Like 1

Hello HT,

I have a chance to pickup this monitor for a song and want to know your opinion on the set.It weighs in at 97 lbs. and is in good condition with remote. Made in 2005, I have read on Amazon reviews that this is still a desireable set to own.

Having a 40 inch Sony Bravia already, we are happy :).

http://www.mediacollege.com/equipment/panasonic/tv/th/th50phd7uy.html

Is it worth the effort to haul this beast around and back to our place?

And, been awhile but, could this set be placed on it's back in our wagon or, does it need to be carried in an upright lengthwise position to prevent damaging unit?

As per always, thanks for opinions..

it really makes no difference how you move it -if you cant put it upright due to it's height  -  take a kid's mattress or a piece of foam and put it under - basically it has to be padded underneath - we dont want it to flex -although these have a strong frame -

-in the movie industry , plasmas are moved around in big cases - and they dont brake unless they are dropped -

• Like 1

I have a 50" plasma Pioneer Elite (no HDMI and I don't need it and don't miss it. In fact, my TV's that do have it I still hook up with component. Not a fan of HDMI) and they will be prying it out of my cold, dead hands.

And, because of the awkwardness of it's size I would ABSOLUTLELY make it a 2 man job. 50" and 97lbs doesn't sound like much until you're trying to hang that in the wall all by yourself.

• Like 1

The best plasma's ever made were the Pioneer Kuro's and were only 720p,  they smoked the competition and my 50" weighs 84 lbs soaking wet.  It wasn't until Pioneer sold Panasonic their technology(some not all) that Panasonic became number 1 when Pioneer retired. They retired because their plasma's were just to expensive then to the average household at around $3500 for the 50" and $5000 for the 60". 

The Panasonic Viera is a nice unit, but the last run of the Panasonics in 2013/2014 before they retired from the plasma business is the top of the line. I have a 65VT60 and this beast is smokin(137 lbs) and by the richness of the blacks it truly gives the Kuro a run for the money with a contrast ratio of 6,000,000:1! 

You can now score Pioneer 50" Kuro's in the $600 to $900 range used and even the newer Panasonic T series are going for $1000+ for the 55-60" . Any Panasonic is a good Plasma and if the price is right for you then pull the trigger and enjoy!

As for transporting it, newer model plasma's can be laid flat, older ones must be upright due to the pressure, I would investigate for your model. 

Edited by boomer9911
  • Like 1

Thanks guys and the last 4 posts above seems to have worked out.

When I picked up set it was lying flat on a comforter. face down. I cringed but hauled it face down and it arrived basically unscathed. Thought I heard a crack and tried to reassure myself that a $4000 dollar monitor would have glass with a decent temper.

It has composite and component cardslots,VGA, and RS-232 connector. No HDMI installed. Maybe find a slotcard later but yes, it is just beautiful with just the composite hooked. Just realized my DVD was hooked up on the Sony using component, so I will hook component up next. :)

The unit has the L/R speaker terminals so, hooked up a pair of RSX-5 Klipsch to them. Excellent sound quality and built-in sound amp adequate for volume due to the speaker efficiency. Truly awesome with analog/surround,bass treble, adjustment options.

I did not want to have the set continue to ride in back of wagon, so was forced to do a 1 man haul to the inside.

Nancy was behind me to push me up a ramp with it. I did it but, guess I could have backed closer... :) I do have the wall mount for it and, yes, hope someone is around to hope me out!

So yes, thanks all for helping me decide. ATM, very ... :)

Edited by billybob