klipsch kg 5.5 vs rf-82ii,rf-5

Hi, im wondering if anyone can give me any insight on how the kg 5.5 stack up against the newer rf series i can get either pair i listed above kgs being the cheapest and will do crites upgrades also if i get them but would like to know how they stack up against the others. Thanks

Edited by trailblazers75

What makes you choose the rf 5 over the kg besides being newer? Do they sound better?

IMO...from the look, sound and value, the RF5's win!  Again, only if the prices were the same between the KG5.5 and the RF5.

Edited by cheric

I currently own the 82ii's and have owned the KG 5.5 (now in my sons possession) with crites upgrades. If it was for a two channel system I would go with the KG 5.5s. For HT I would lean to the 82ii's. I have heard the RF3s and was quite impressed so I guess the 5's would be awesome.

Have fun with your search.

I currently own the 82ii's and have owned the KG 5.5 (now in my sons possession) with crites upgrades. If it was for a two channel system I would go with the KG 5.5s. For HT I would lean to the 82ii's. I have heard the RF3s and was quite impressed so I guess the 5's would be awesome.

I agree. I have the KG 5.5 with Crites titanium tweeters and love them. The only thing about the 5.5 is its extremely difficult to find a center channel to match them for HT application. Phantom sounds good but if you are off axis it takes away from the effect.

• Like 1

I would go with upgraded KG5.5 you will push the same amount of air as an RF7 ll does (dual ten inch woofers) you will get the horn up to a much better listening height (compared to the smaller RF5)the horn is a better size (larger) in the KG 5.5. Just my 2 cents on the options given. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

The CF-3 MTM was D/C'd in 1994, the same year the KG 5.5 TMM took over.  Both had a pair of 10's, and the horn was similar 60x90. using a K-85-K to replace the K-63 CD.  Was the 5.5 considered an upgrade, or was the sound just different?

I love the MTM sound in a two-way, but getting that HF horn in the 5.5 to ear level had to be a design upgrade.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I agree. I have the KG 5.5 with Crites titanium tweeters and love them. The only thing about the 5.5 is its extremely difficult to find a center channel to match them for HT application. Phantom sounds good but if you are off axis it takes away from the effect.

Suprisingly the best matching center that I found for KG 5.5's .Was a Boston VR-12. My daughter is still running that same front end and if I had to go back to that setup and I would still be very happy !

• Like 1

Suprisingly the best matching center that I found for KG 5.5's .Was a Boston VR-12. My daughter is still running that same front end and if I had to go back to that setup and I would still be very happy !

That is contrary to conventional thinking about "timbre matched" but my experience agrees with yours.  I like my dome tweeter mis-matched center.

I like the sound of 6.5 to 7" midwoofs in an MTM front.  My center uses all Usher drivers, a pair of 7"s and a 1" dome.  I love the sound of my center as well especially for TV and movie listening with a lot of dialog.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

I realize this is an older post. I own KG5.5. The 2-way vs 3-way arguments are mostly give-n-take. On first listen a 3-way speakers would win due to a more prominent mid range which grabs immediate attention. But long term listening may reveal the deficits of a 3-way design which is less coherent than a more simple 2-way counterpart. It is just much more difficult to make 3 speaker drivers working together/coherently than just dealing with two. This has been my experience.

Edited by maxchau