RF-7 Crossovers

Bonzo

A very nice pair of original RF-7's in maple finish followed me home the other day. Being a Heritage/modified Cornscala guy, I had low expectations. My expectations are no longer low. These speakers sound great and have authority. There is some brightness in at various frequencies but not terrible by any stretch. I am using a vintage Sansui AU-717 integrated amp that has been re-capped. I was able to tame them some with the high filter and backing off the treble a bit. I would like to hear from RF-7 owners who have had crossover modifications and your opinions. I am hoping to hear from DeanG as I'm sure he still works some magic on them. Here's a couple pics of one next to the modified Cornscala.

post-16545-0-36040000-1427494215_thumb.j

post-16545-0-01160000-1427494238_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I will do some more research. I did send Dean an E-mail with some questions. I have to say, I am really liking what I'm hearing. Years ago I had a pair of RF-5's and they were pretty good. They did work much better with a sub-woofer. I had just never had the opportunity to listen to let alone own a pair of RF-7's. I guess I didn't know what I was missing.

• 2 weeks later...

A very interesting read. Kudos to you for the obvious hard work you put into your findings.

I haven't done anything with the crossovers or drivers at this point. I did spend some time with placement and have them dialed in pretty well in that regard. Vocals are dead center, provided the song was recorded that way. Some of the best pin point imaging I have heard. I'm getting very good depth of soundstage and separation of instruments/vocals. Some digital recordings do have their fair share of harshness somewhere in the upper mid-range, lower high range. The old fashion 10k High Filter on my Sansui AU-717 integrated amp helps that quite a bit. I am anxious to try it with a tube amp to hear the difference in overall sound. So far, they are not broke enough for me to fix them. I have yet to get to the point where I have to turn them off or risk permanent horn speaker fatigue.