Any chance this might be an interesting LaScala mod?

I guess this answers my question:

"The PR should never be down-firing, the high Mms will cause the diaphragm to be displaced downward immediately. The spiders will eventually be stretched permanently by this treatment, and the unit will need to be rebuilt."
(from www.aespeakers.com/PRFAQ.php ).

Ok then, the next question could be: rather than port the modded bass bin with 4" ports, could a backward facing passive radiator, something like the Forté, work? Maybe two small ones The above website has alot of info about choosing the proper PR, though like I said, I don't know a QTS from a Xmax.

The KLIPSCH KP 320 had a 12 inch downfiring passive radiator - and had no issues with reliability

KP-320 pdf.pdf

here is the picture of the KP 320 - you can see the down-firing passive radiator at an angle - that is sufficient for long term reliability - and perfectly adaptable to the scala as long as the passive radiator is properly positioned in the dog house opening -

091128102505909454949384.jpg

The Table Tuba or THT is your best choice for adding bass to your LaScala's, they are a big step up from your standard direct radiating types.

Trade off is size but you have the option of making it into a nice looking piece of furniture that blends with its surroundings like a table, TV stand, column or whatever suits your needs & taste.

I would take one good subwoofer over multiples of a lesser type myself, the downside may be a room null but multiples of crappy sound just leads to more crappy sound minus the null.

Get the proper tool for the job and save the headache.

I would take one good subwoofer over multiples of a lesser type myself, the downside may be a room null but multiples of crappy sound just leads to more crappy sound minus the null.

Get the proper tool for the job and save the headache.

:emotion-21:  The reason to have a big horn is to reduce distortion. Why would you want to muck up the La Scala sound with a non horn sub.

Edited by tromprof

• 4 years later...

Funny turn in this old thread.  I have La Scalas and was going to port mod, then got a deal on two table tubas and will use one with the La Scalas.  Looks like most agree that is the way to go. 

26 minutes ago, Adker said:

Could one build the tuba home theater as a riser for the LaScalas? On the dance floor, I'd love to raise mine up at standing ear level, and add some bass. Currently, there is a sacrificial pair acting as speaker stands. 

Table tuba has a big footprint.  30 x 30 x 16 per the website.  https://billfitzmaurice.info/TT.html

Mine are 36 x 36 x 24. La Scala is about 24" x 24", so I think you want a sub that is 24 x 24 x 12" high or maybe 16" high.

Here is a Bill Fitzmaurice design that will fit, the bigger one is 20 x 22 x 15.

https://billfitzmaurice.info/AutoTruckTuba.html

You can also post in the subwoofer section.  I think this was done with Belles before. 

On 3/28/2015 at 1:39 AM, Ray_pierrewit said:

I guess this answers my question:

"The PR should never be down-firing, the high Mms will cause the diaphragm to be displaced downward immediately. The spiders will eventually be stretched permanently by this treatment, and the unit will need to be rebuilt."
(from www.aespeakers.com/PRFAQ.php ).

Nonsense.  Passive radiators are used firing downward regularly.   Klipsch did it in a KP-480.