Can an Amp Create a Larger Soundstage?

Youthman

I asked earlier what settings to use and did not receive a response.

Match levels by measuring across the speaker terminals while playing a CD with relevant test tones on it. Switch back and forth between the two signal paths and set gains until the levels match within 1% which is about the same as 0.1 dB. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Match levels by measuring across the speaker terminals while playing a CD with relevant test tones on it. Switch back and forth between the two signal paths and set gains until the levels match within 1% which is about the same as 0.1 dB. 

I own a multimeter but don't use it very often.  The question I was asking was what setting do I use?

• Like 1

I don't see the need for all these tests and measurements. We participate in this hobby as a form of enjoyment. If one amplifier gives you more pleasure than another, why does it matter if you are blind folded when you make that decision? It's not as if he's comparing a ten thousand dollar model to a 200.00 receiver. They are both very inexpensive devices, so the outcome shouldn't be a controversy. It really doesn't matter either way. You can't be swayed by a fancy faceplate or name badge in this instance.

Double blind listening is fraught with problems, but I'm not gonna go too far down that road. Just enjoy what you enjoy and leave the measurements and specs to the people that get off on that type of thing. You know who you are........

Shakey

• Like 3

I heard the same speakers using my VK 2100 vs one of the big McInstosh amps.  My amp sounds good but, it ain't no McIntosh.  There was a SQ difference.  The only caveat was that we did not level match the amps.  But, I have had the VK 2100 for several years and new things were slightly different. 

Michael, you have been at this audio stuff for sometime and trust your ears.

I don't see the need for all these tests and measurements. We participate in this hobby as a form of enjoyment. If one amplifier gives you more pleasure than another, why does it matter if you are blind folded when you make that decision? It's not as if he's comparing a ten thousand dollar model to a 200.00 receiver.

I could not agree more.

Michael,

Enjoy your wider and deeper soundstage. :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:  :D

Bill

• Moderators

This morning, after everyone left for school and work, I sat down for some quiet listening. To help eliminate room reflections, I set the receiver to 65dB and played a Sam Smith's "Lay Me Down". It's a very soft song, piano and vocals only. This is a different song and artist than what I played the other day.

Guess what? Even at 65dB, I experienced the same wider soundstage with the Acurus vs just the HK's amp.

Just for kicks, I set the receiver at -40dB and listened to the Receiver. When I added the amp, I turned it down to -50dB which was audibly a lower volume and the Acurus at -40dB still sounded better than just the Receiver at a higher volume of -30dB.

I think that's all the testing I need to satisfy me that my system does indeed sound better with the HK AVR3490 + Acurus A200 vs just the HK by itself.

Other great choices for a reasonable price that sound fantastic are DBX CX-2, DBX CX-3, Nice ones on eBay right now.

Lexicon, and Yamaha C-85, CX-1000 are also great choices. All these are sub $300 and high quality components.

Edited by Frzninvt

• Moderators
What is your budget?

Shooting for < $300.

Tubes or SS?

I've never heard any tube gear so I'm not sure which I would prefer.

Frankly I prefer passives, but we can probably find you something.

Passives meaning.....?

An Acurus RL-11 would be a perfect match.

Never head one myself.  Wish it looked more modern like the Rotel 1070

What's most often not discussed in amps (especially the newer digital ones) in regards to the topic of soundstage is phase response.

NOT to be confused with the phase response of a single channel, using one impulse mind you,

Introduction_ControlFrequency_01.png

or...

splphaseplot.jpg

but rather the overlay of both channels driven with a dynamic signal (ie. more inline with what we actually hear).

The plot looks something similar to this:

mono%20space1.jpg

which can prove very difficult to interpret...

With mobile devices and other integrated sound processors the difference between "meh" and "amazing" could be a simple tweak of the DSP inside.

When discussing tube amps, transient behavior of the phase inverter is often left at the front door. 

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

I don't see the need for all these tests and measurements.

Double blind listening is fraught with problems

Who said anything about double blind testing?  That's all your projection.

The measurements were simply to more closely match output of the amps in question, to rule out one of the most common causes of audible differences, that's it.

Some of us take a more methodical approach than others, I guess.  Some here seem to believe it's magic, e.g. that isolation footers for amps makes an audible difference.   :unsure:

Edited by Ski Bum

Just a few notes.

1). I was weong about the original listening levels. -30 on the receiver is 74-78db at the beginning of the track (boy I was way off). Not sure where I got 92dB. Guess I should get a digital SPL meter since I can't accurately read an analog one lol

2). I did have the receiver on just Stereo. I do not care for the artificial sound of "DVS-Wide" or "DVS-Ref".

Now that's a big difference! I was playing my system the other day, and I had it up to a level that was actually hurting me, and it was around 90db. :)

• Like 1

• Moderators
The measurements were simply to more closely match output of the amps in question, to rule out one of the most common causes of audible differences, that's it.

I think it's safe to say that although I did not measure at the amp terminals, it's safe to say that the volume did not contribute to the wider sound stage since I shared that I listened to the Receiver at -30 (on the receiver) and when I added the amp, I reduced the volume from -30 to -40 on the receiver and it was noticeably softer than at -30 with the receiver and it still had a wider sound stage at lower volume.

• Moderators

Just curious why several believe the "lesser quality" Acurus is likely the "problem". What makes the HK a "fine piece of equipment" and the Acurus not? In what ways do you feel the Acurus wouldn't test as well as the HK? Trying to understand what is the logic there. From my understanding, Acurus amps have always been regarded as high quality amps.

• Like 1