Need help on best way to repair or replace passive radiator on Chorus II

upsonm

Hello,

I picked up a set of Chorus II's at an estate sale for $300.  They are in excellent condition except for 2 small tears/punctures in the passive radiator on one speaker.

The speakers are 9.5 out of 10 on the grading scale on all other aspects and sound amazing hooked up to my Marantz 2325.  I feel like I got a pretty good deal and hopefully a repair job won't cost too much.

I would appreciate any advice on the best course of action to repair or replace the radiator.   I walked in to the sale and there they were.  I knew the history and following of the speaker so I snapped them up quick with not much research as to whether I could get a replacement from Klipsch.

I do live in St Petersburg, FL just down the road from Simply Speakers and probably could go there but wanted to get the advice of some experienced members first.

Thank you in advance.

post-16594-0-92480000-1427600693_thumb.j

post-16594-0-39560000-1427600702_thumb.j

post-16594-0-86640000-1427600710_thumb.j

post-16594-0-96120000-1427600719_thumb.j

post-16594-0-08560000-1427600730_thumb.j

post-16594-0-63440000-1427600738_thumb.j

Hello,

I picked up a set of Chorus II's at an estate sale for $300.  They are in excellent condition except for 2 small tears/punctures in the passive radiator on one speaker.

The speakers are 9.5 out of 10 on the grading scale on all other aspects and sound amazing hooked up to my Marantz 2325.  I feel like I got a pretty good deal and hopefully a repair job won't cost too much.

I would appreciate any advice on the best course of action to repair or replace the radiator.   I walked in to the sale and there they were.  I knew the history and following of the speaker so I snapped them up quick with not much research as to whether I could get a replacement from Klipsch.

I do live in St Petersburg, FL just down the road from Simply Speakers and probably could go there but wanted to get the advice of some experienced members first.

Thank you in advance.

there is no need to recone the passive woofer  - just take out the passive radiator - unscrew it - put it on a table and use silicone caulking - first from the back , then the front - that's it -

A thin piece of paper (cigarette rolling paper, or even bathroom tissue)  may help in repairing the tear in the surround, I would just massage the tear in the cone back into place and coat it with either Weldbond (or RTV Silicone).

If you have RTV on hand, use it.

If you have to go out and buy something, buy Weldbond.

I prefer the Weldbond.

If you use RTV, wait 24 hours before putting back in the cabinet. RTV fumes (as it cures) disolve many adhesives.

Weldbond many be thinned (if desired) with water, and built up in layers. As it is water soluble, fumes are not a problem.

Did I mention that I prefer Weldbond?

Weldbond is clear and flexible when dry.

WELDBOND.jpg

There are many ways of repairing this, but with any of them, take your time. It will look better.

This stuff stays flexible. I use it when re-coning speakers. It is black.

https://www.parts-express.com/black-rubber-cement-speaker-repair-glue-1-oz-bottle--340-078

Repair the back of the main cone with craft paper and some of this. Do the surround with a small piece of thin material like t-shirt, and this rubber cement.

There are many ways of repairing this, but with any of them, take your time. It will look better.

This stuff stays flexible. I use it when re-coning speakers. It is black.

https://www.parts-express.com/black-rubber-cement-speaker-repair-glue-1-oz-bottle--340-078

Repair the back of the main cone with craft paper and some of this. Do the surround with a small piece of thin material like t-shirt, and this rubber cement.

mustang guy is the man here - for this kind of repair -

wow, great deal on them chorus2's for $300!  they sound great on that small marantz but feed them some higher power & they will really come to life... if you like louder volume that is. 

as for the repair all the above should work fine but i agree that stuff from parts express is a rip off for that smalll of a bottle,  with shipping you will pay over $10.  best stuff for this type of repair that is readily available & stays strong & flexible is an automotive  RTV gasket maker/sealer called ultra-black by permatex.  big tube is about $7 at any auto zone or auto parts store.  will work great for that surround tear & as mentioned above works great for the rip in the cone, do the backside first & let fully dry, then do the front.  its very easy to work with & stays flexible & strong which is very important on that surround hole.  

also looks like a pushed in dust cap on one of them, try pulling it out with some very sticky tape or use a shop vac carefully to pull it out, if its not too bad one of those tricks may work.  if not you can get a new dust cap from simply speakers that is an exact match.  but it is purely cosmetic so wont effect the sound at all. 

again, very nice score on the speakers!  congrats! 

Edited by klipschfancf4

Been doing this for more than 40 years now, do not think rubber cement is the best solution.

(1oz for $8? Really?)

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend. I was simply giving another alternative. I did preface by saying whatever you use take your time.

I use RTV all the time. It's good stuff, and silicone based. The ripoff stuff is more of a contact cement which has properties that help it form a mechanical bond. Is it better? I really cannot answer that question. It seems there are many people here who vouch for it. I should think any of the above will work well! Perhaps the cheapest solution is the way to go.

wow, great deal on them chorus2's for $300!  they sound great on that small marantz but feed them some higher power & they will really come to life... if you like louder volume that is. 

as for the repair all the above should work fine but i agree that stuff from parts express is a rip off for that smalll of a bottle,  with shipping you will pay over $10.  best stuff for this type of repair that is readily available & stays strong & flexible is an automotive  RTV gasket maker/sealer called ultra-black by permatex.  big tube is about $7 at any auto zone or auto parts store.  will work great for that surround tear & as mentioned above works great for the rip in the cone, do the backside first & let fully dry, then do the front.  its very easy to work with & stays flexible & strong which is very important on that surround hole.  

also looks like a pushed in dust cap on one of them, try pulling it out with some very sticky tape or use a shop vac carefully to pull it out, if its not too bad one of those tricks may work.  if not you can get a new dust cap from simply speakers that is an exact match.  but it is purely cosmetic so wont effect the sound at all. 

again, very nice score on the speakers!  congrats!

Small Marantz?

Small Marantz?

"smaller"  sorry, mistook the model # as a lower power rating.

but yes, 125wpc is somewhat "small"  for a 400w rms/1000 peak rated speaker.  my comment of more power was something in the 200-250 range. 

Edited by klipschfancf4

Thank you all very much for the suggestions on the repair.  I thought that I would have to replace it as I wasn't sure on exactly how the passive works.  I did get a great deal and consider myself lucky.  The poor guy who owned them had a hear attack while he was home alone and his house keeper found him 2-3 days later.  I am just surprised no one had already purchased them. 

Klipschfancf4 - I used the 2325 for my KLF-30's and thought it would be sufficient but I see (hear) now the Chorus II's would benefit from a little more muscle.   Guess I have a new mission in life.

Again thank you for the help.

Thank you all very much for the suggestions on the repair.  I thought that I would have to replace it as I wasn't sure on exactly how the passive works.  I did get a great deal and consider myself lucky.  The poor guy who owned them had a hear attack while he was home alone and his house keeper found him 2-3 days later.  I am just surprised no one had already purchased them. 

Klipschfancf4 - I used the 2325 for my KLF-30's and thought it would be sufficient but I see (hear) now the Chorus II's would benefit from a little more muscle.   Guess I have a new mission in life.

Again thank you for the help.

Chorus 2 are worth 1000$ minimum - so yes great deal and they look in great condition -these holes could have been there for years due to house work or moving - you have the seal the holes before they get bigger -  very minor damage either way - and not visible -

• Like 1