Klipsch Premiere crossover and bracing/driver pics?

ninjai18

I like this thread and I hope it stays "unlocked".  Its about time more folks became aware of how different caps can and will change the sound coming from your drivers and I'm not talking about changing the style or topo of the network, but actually just changing the capacitors and maybe the inductors.  I am on my third round of custom networks and not to sound like a cheerleader, I'm going to keep the builders name out for now, but we all know who does the real custom "art" work around here.  I have gone from an Audyn/Dayton (budget) build to a Audiocap Theta (foil) cap build and I am finally springing for a Jupiter flat stack build. Im not going to bore anyone with the details and the improvements, but its exactly what you're going to get more of, "details". If I wasn't hearing a definite improvement in each step up, I would dang sure be adding the cash for a new amp or pre purchase instead.   Im pretty sure there is room for improvements on any network any Klipsch offering comes stock with.  If its a Heritage speaker you own and you're a critical listener, Hi res files, multi channel audio or LP's,  you owe it to your ears and the speakers to hear what you have been missing.

• Like 1

I like this thread and I hope it stays "unlocked".  Its about time more folks became aware of how different caps can and will change the sound coming from your drivers and I'm not talking about changing the style or topo of the network, but actually just changing the capacitors and maybe the inductors.  I am on my third round of custom networks and not to sound like a cheerleader, I'm going to keep the builders name out for now, but we all know who does the real custom "art" work around here.  I have gone from an Audyn/Dayton (budget) build to a Audiocap Theta (foil) cap build and I am finally springing for a Jupiter flat stack build. Im not going to bore anyone with the details and the improvements, but its exactly what you're going to get more of, "details". If I wasn't hearing a definite improvement in each step up, I would dang sure be adding the cash for a new amp or pre purchase instead.   Im pretty sure there is room for improvements on any network any Klipsch offering comes stock with.  If its a Heritage speaker you own and you're a critical listener, Hi res files, multi channel audio or LP's,  you owe it to your ears and the speakers to hear what you have been missing.

I'd say I agree, but then you already know that. Amen, brotha! :)

Edited by ninjai18

This truly is a great community of folks who share a similar passion for audio. Differences of opinion are welcomed as it would be pretty boring if we all felt the same way. We just have to be careful that we don't come across as argumentative. Glad to see it all working out

Now this I can totally agree with! :)

Edited by ninjai18

and I am finally springing for a Jupiter flat stack build.

you might want to check with "he who shall not be named".. he recently posted on Facebook that Jupiter flat stacks (in the values suitable for Heritage builds) are NLA. 

Maybe Max2 was already in the queue with Mr Noname and he already has his unobtaniums. Just sayin.

and I am finally springing for a Jupiter flat stack build.

you might want to check with "he who shall not be named".. he recently posted on Facebook that Jupiter flat stacks (in the values suitable for Heritage builds) are NLA. 

Maybe Max2 was already in the queue with Mr Noname and he already has his unobtaniums. Just sayin.

very good point!

We had this discussion. Well let me go ahead and fix this...... Dean and I talked to Jupiter about the "replacement" they are coming out with. Having said that, I hope he found a source on them or I need to get my nose to the ground on the hunt.   I think I just found a somewhat local source that is showing them in stock, but it could be dated.

Edited by Max2

• 2 weeks later...

Some of these comments are in reference to some of the things stated in the other thread:

On many of the Klipsch schematics, it is stated that the parts are measured while on the PCB. That means that proximity effect, or mutual inductance -- is factored in, or part of the design. This is why I tell people not to mess with the coils. When you change their position or relationship to each other, you change the modeled behavior of the network.

Klipsch has to meet price points. They're also very aware that 99% of their customers are primarily using these loudspeakers to listen to bullets whizzing by and explosions. Most within the HT community are not critical listeners like some in the 2-channel community are. Even within the 2-channel community, I'm learning that the critical listening experience is dying a slow and painful death. That's not a slam, that's just the way it is. Now, that doesn't mean there aren't HT listeners who don't care about the sound, they do, they're just not as picky about it. The point here is that Klipsch probably wouldn't be making the wisest of business decisions if they built crossovers to appease 1% or less of listeners.

Everyone here knows that better parts result in an improvement of the sound. What we disagree on is at what point does it not make a difference, and are some parts really "better" than others.

Edited by Crankysoldermeister
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Its about time more folks became aware of how different caps can and will change the sound coming from your drivers and I'm not talking about changing the style or topo of the network, but actually just changing the capacitors and maybe the inductors.

I'm pretty ignorant about what makes a high quality cap.  I've heard that some have a shorter life, and some get resistive with age.  Is the difference in caps of the same value a fairly recent thing, due to new cap technology?  I vaguely remember PWK writing that he didn't care what caps were made out of -- even whiskey bottles would do -- if they had the right values.

If someone buys a second hand speaker that is fairly old, nearly everyone advises that the caps be changed.  Is there a predictable, subjective change in sound that replacing caps would make?  Would a speaker with new caps sound brighter, or duller, or what?  Or, is it unpredictable, and depends on location in the circuit or ______?

Its about time more folks became aware of how different caps can and will change the sound coming from your drivers and I'm not talking about changing the style or topo of the network, but actually just changing the capacitors and maybe the inductors.

I'm pretty ignorant about what makes a high quality cap.  I've heard that some have a shorter life, and some get resistive with age.  Is the difference in caps of the same value a fairly recent thing, due to new cap technology?  I vaguely remember PWK writing that he didn't care what caps were made out of -- even whiskey bottles would do -- if they had the right values.

If someone buys a second hand speaker that is fairly old, nearly everyone advises that the caps be changed.  Is there a predictable, subjective change in sound that replacing caps would make?  Would a speaker with new caps sound brighter, or duller, or what?  Or, is it unpredictable, and depends on location in the circuit or ______?

All excellent questions, looking forward to the answers you get. :)