Technics TT

John Warren

$20.  It's an SL-QD33. A local chap was advertising gear in the town paper so I went to see what he had.

I plugged an Audio-Technica DR350 into it and sound came out.

What can I say, sounds pretty good! 

I recall folks waxing the base of these tables with paste wax to bring out the black surface.

The clear plastic covers, if slightly scratched, can be repaired by polishing out the scratches with 1um diamond paste and fine cotton felt.  A coat of wax then finishes them up nicely.

post-864-0-66500000-1427645275_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

He gave me a pair of Advent Legacy speakers too. 

These are sad, poorly made and have "we're going down" written all over them.  The original Walnut, bull-nosed, Large Advents were remarkable speakers.  I own a few paris of them and use them constantly.  The Legacy speakers are remarkable for entirely different reasons.  

Edited by John Warren

I still have that same TT. Works great, although I would like to try another cart on it sometime.

I have an SL1200MkII that I ended up getting fro free, but it is missing a cart and is a future project.

Bruce

Rotting foam surrounds? You can DIY the surrounds, but it's kinda...well...potentially messy work. I've done it all of three times over the years.

The foams are gone but that's not what I'm referring to.  The cabinet baffle board and rear panel are 3/4" particle board which is ok but the top, bottom and sides of the cabinet are 5/8".  The cabinet baffle and sides are black vinyl wrapped too which looks marginal.  The top is finished with a nice 3/4" thick solid Pecan wood panel but it's attached with a couples of dabs of glue and over time, as the wood warped because its solid, gaps are seen between it and the cabinet.  It's shoddy.   I'll either re-foam the woofers or find alternates.  I'll give them to my daughter (she's at Bates College).

The Advent Legacy series was introduced by Advent when they were owned by Jensen.  Advent moved out of Cambridge MA in 1979 and relocated to New Hampshire.  Eventually Jensen was purchased by Recoton and, when they went down, purchased by Audiovox. 

Edited by John Warren

I see...it sounds as if they are a bit rough around the edges. Still, if they are structurally sound and don't have rattling panels or front baffle, maybe they could be cleaned up satisfactorily. I'm sure your daughter would think it's pretty neat to have some speakers you worked on with her in mind!