Klipsch RF7 (old version) crossover modification

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Finally, I made few records, which could probably give an impression how the modified speakers do sound... It is dificult to record speakers at home, but at least something than nothing.

Mics are Rode M5 stereo pair, see  www.rode.com/download/m5-mp_manual.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6n2pqctf27dl4cv/Elvis_From%2024_96%20played%20as%2044100_16.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/enl41vb92d8idht/Carmen_from_LP_to_44100__recorded%20as%2048000.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4668ui2t4agiu0r/Rimsky-Korsakov_from_192_played%20as44100_recorded%20as%2048000.wav?dl=0

Each mic was placed  80-90 cm from each speaker, and at the same height from floor (roughly at the middle between the horn and the top LF driver). Such position reduces slightly bass and midbass, but eliminates the room effect.

• 3 years later...
On 5/23/2015 at 6:44 AM, Yasnyi Sokol said:

How much did you spend in Crossover parts????  

According to what I have see so far on forums.....you just need to add a 10 ohms  in parallel with the 2 ohms resistor on the tweeter to pad it down.  I can see this crossover is custom made. Could you please be so kind and tell me if I need to do more than the 10 ohms resistor mod on the tweeter to pad it down? Your recommendatios are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hoping the project is finished.

The box is hand made: plywood 10 mm and natural oak 1.5 mm.

post-61032-0-58300000-1432377966_thumb.jpost-61032-0-74780000-1432377980_thumb.j

18 hours ago, Gioxtream said:

According to what I have see so far on forums.....you just need to add a 10 ohms  in parallel with the 2 ohms resistor on the tweeter to pad it down.

I think I got that quote right...

From what I've been able to garner, decreasing the value of resistance in this mod doesn't "pad the tweeter down."  Rather, it "unpads" the frequency-shaping elements in parallel with the tweeter, allowing greater "suckout" of the particular frequencies upon which the elements are operating.  The overall level of the tweeter output would not change, but there would be a greater decrease in output centered at that one band, wherever it may be.

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 12:16 PM, opusk2k9 said:

These should be replacement woofers for the RF-7.

On 5/18/2019 at 10:55 PM, glens said:

I think I got that quote right...

From what I've been able to garner, decreasing the value of resistance in this mod doesn't "pad the tweeter down."  Rather, it "unpads" the frequency-shaping elements in parallel with the tweeter, allowing greater "suckout" of the particular frequencies upon which the elements are operating.  The overall level of the tweeter output would not change, but there would be a greater decrease in output centered at that one band, wherever it may be.

Well. I am so pissed off. I got a pair in Ebay for $800.00 free shipping. The guy told me they were in great shape. Once i took the drivers out...I notice one driver do not even move. I tried to push the cone gently in. WTF???  Is frozen rock solid. It does not move at all. The other drivers move in and out. Now... I am ******* screwed ..... I can not do shit without one damage driver. I contacted the guy / seller from ebay... he is Not even answering me. Now ....I am stuck.

8 hours ago, Gioxtream said:

Well. I am so pissed off. I got a pair in Ebay for $800.00 free shipping. The guy told me they were in great shape. Once i took the drivers out...I notice one driver do not even move. I tried to push the cone gently in. WTF???  Is frozen rock solid. It does not move at all. The other drivers move in and out. Now... I am ******* screwed ..... I can not do shit without one damage driver. I contacted the guy / seller from ebay... he is Not even answering me. Now ....I am stuck.

Contact eBay resolution Dept....

32 minutes ago, billybob said:

Contact eBay resolution Dept....

Good advice. A couple times I have had ebay step in on a return/dispute and they resolved matters quickly in my favor. Ebay will enforce their rules of transactions, to protect the buyers and mostly their (ebay) reputation imo. 

Unless you purchased "as is" in the listing. Even sellers listing an item as "no returns" if the item doesn't work, they will make it right. I take screenshots of item listing/details I purchase to my desktop pc, if the seller has some unfavorable ratings. This MO just saved me shipping costs on a recent return. 100% refund and the seller paid all shipping charges. You have to be smart and protect yourself. Most all sellers are GTG, just a few bad apples. Their detailed feedback history tells pretty much all you need to know.

I wouldn't tell em you disassembled the speakers. Just tell em one of the drivers does not work at all, no sound.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gioxtream said:

one of the reasons I like to deal with long time well respected forum members here you have an established level of trust and respect.

• 1 year later...
On 9/23/2020 at 8:32 AM, paulgyro said:

I find myself disappointed that a flagship speaker has so many issues. 

Am I wrong to think that? 

Yes! I've been running a pair in my garage with various equipment and absolutely love the sound even completely stock. I have since updated the horn drivers with some Faital Pros I had laying around and they are clean and crisp non fatiguing just beautiful big sound as I'm tinkering around out there a song will come on and I will just stop what I'm doing and listen I think they're right up there with all my 3 way stuff.

On 9/23/2020 at 11:32 AM, paulgyro said:

Very interesting read about such technical details of the RF7.   I was considering picking up a used pair of these but now I find myself disappointed that a flagship speaker has so many issues. 

Am I wrong to think that? 

First welcome to the forum.

Yes, I also think you are wrong on this.  The RF-7s are beasts that have high output and high energy.  With the wrong gear in the wrong room they can be a bit "biting" to some but some acoustic treatments and better gear can tame that bite some.  The mods that are available address that sharpness allowing "consumer" grade gear to mate well enough with them in the not so acoustically perfect room.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only real problem they have is that the cones ring. The harshness that people often complain about is not the horn, but from the cones breaking up. The simple resistor mod goes a long way to fixing that. Still probably some of the best sounding speakers I've heard out of Klipsch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Thx all for the time put into all the researches etc.

I would love to tweak my newly acquired RF7. I know of the resistor already and will surely want to change that. 

Coil also but how do I accommodate the much bigger coil. Will love to replace caps as well. 

But I'm confused which components is surely good. Also will appreciate clear picture of how best to accommodate coils. I'm not an expert but I can solder. Replaced enough caps in Arcam Avr600 projects, of course with clear instructions ☺️

All suggestions is welcome

17 hours ago, junaidot said:

Thx all for the time put into all the researches etc.

I would love to tweak my newly acquired RF7. I know of the resistor already and will surely want to change that. 

Coil also but how do I accommodate the much bigger coil. Will love to replace caps as well. 

But I'm confused which components is surely good. Also will appreciate clear picture of how best to accommodate coils. I'm not an expert but I can solder. Replaced enough caps in Arcam Avr600 projects, of course with clear instructions ☺️

All suggestions is welcome

You may get some input here ...have a view first ..if you have any upcoming questions , I´ll be pleased to back you up

@Micromara
Thx so much for ur kind gesture, willing to help, especially having gone thru your gigantic sophisticated project, humble of you to offer to help:

I actually have RF-7 MK1 and will love to change a few things, even the coil if possible. Im quite motivated reading through your project. Im very happy too that ure from Germany because Im from Holland (The Hague) and if possible I will prefer to get the stuffs from Germany.

Now I need at least a list of parts to change and will appreciate if you could let me know your vendor. Above all a summary of steps to take in successfully carrying out the upgrade. Once again goal is to enhance Mid sound, better bass and of course the tweeter is a must.

I dont want to sound like freeloader asking for summary of all the efforts of others; but I have read so much, so much, that I have come to appreciate the work of people like you, Deang, Yasnyi Sokol to mention but a few, Yes I have read so much that I am confused which parts is best and which step.

No problem I do have the tools, a good Soldering machine (to be precise PACE) with desolder  option. I have also fried enough pcbs (talking about the saying: you never know what what is right until you do it wrong and long enough😁)

I look forward to all helps
Edited by junaidot
  • Like 1

@junaidot  I know that these are two different shoes ( RF7 & RF7 MK II )  Your X-over isn´t identical to the MK II Version, I know that. Hope you have done an X-Over Schematic according to your needs.   I just wanted to give you some ideas what´s possible .

Gonna check my sources and will inform you about the suppliers in Germany that I´m trusting .

I´ve been in Holland so many times and I love your country and the dutch mentality so much .

See you ....