Quick questions...should I be buying the SI HT18 or HST18 for my stonehendge build?

dewthedru

You need a single run to each speaker. When you get them you just attach the positives together and the negatives together on the woofer. That runs it in parallel mode which will be a 2 ohm load. Then a single little short piece from either side of woofer to the binding posts inside the box then your done. Hook up the the amp, one in each channel. No need to bridge or any of that jazz. You got a straight forward setup. Hit me up with any questions.

I would have bet good money that you would have told him to bridge it. Personally I'd run it stereo especially if I had Audessey with SubEQ. You're just throwing that away otherwise.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I would have bet good money that you would have told him to bridge it. Personally I'd run it stereo especially if I had Audessey with SubEQ. You're just throwing that away otherwise.

FWIW...i do have audessey with subEQ with my denon x4000

Edited by dewthedru
  • Like 1

You need a single run to each speaker. When you get them you just attach the positives together and the negatives together on the woofer. That runs it in parallel mode which will be a 2 ohm load. Then a single little short piece from either side of woofer to the binding posts inside the box then your done. Hook up the the amp, one in each channel. No need to bridge or any of that jazz. You got a straight forward setup. Hit me up with any questions.

you would have lost it. NOW i would have said if they are equal distances away in the front to just run them as a single. but that is not bridging the amp. its just running it a different way in the settings. i think its called dual mono. 

you would have lost it. NOW i would have said if they are equal distances away in the front to just run them as a single. but that is not bridging the amp. its just running it a different way in the settings. i think its called dual mono.

Given the situation, running dual mono instead of bridging it mostly just means you get to run twice as much wire. :) Otherwise the end result would be nearly identical.

cool.  so i'll buy 2 of those for the two sub connections, plus 4 for the back of the amp (2 in & 2 out) plus i'll put a Speakon plate(?) on each of the subs?

Wait, you're talking about the input? Those are XLR's, you need an XLR to RCA adapter unless you run something like a CleanBox. Then just run RCA's from the receiver to those adapters. The outputs are speakon. You really just need the terminals on the amp side then you can run normal speaker wire then connect them to a terminal post, or you can do like you said and get more speakons and install a speakon plate on the box. Kind of unnecessary but some people like it. I did it to a bass guitar cabinet but that's a portable application.

cool. so i'll buy 2 of those for the two sub connections, plus 4 for the back of the amp (2 in & 2 out) plus i'll put a Speakon plate(?) on each of the subs?

i ran regular speaker terminals on mine. That way I could have my subs really close to the wall. Then I run a rca to xlr adapter for the sub input. Made by hosa. Just a adapter. Not a plug with wire or anything. Then I use the 4 pole speakon connectors because I was told they had a better build quality. And they are only like 50¢ more. Plus extra wiring options for future use.
  • Like 1

i ran regular speaker terminals on mine. That way I could have my subs really close to the wall. Then I run a rca to xlr adapter for the sub input. Made by hosa. Just a adapter. Not a plug with wire or anything. Then I use the 4 pole speakon connectors because I was told they had a better build quality. And they are only like 50¢ more. Plus extra wiring options for future use.

I have regular speaker wire terminals on my subs and use the 4 poles Neutrik speakon connectors.  1/4 in TRS adapter to connect the sub cable to the amp.

I would still try to use Auddysee for 2 subs even if they are not equal distant.  It will EQ them as one sub.  Subs function as a single unit in a room.

• Like 1

whew.  i'm learning a ton here.  

so it looks like i could just get these to go from my receiver to the amp

http://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio-SAXFRM-2x5-Patch-Cable/dp/B00AFEMMVQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1427832214&sr=8-4&keywords=xlr+to+rca+cables

i'm still deciding between regular speaker terminals and speakon connectors at the sub.  doesn't really matter to me.  speakon seems like it would look cooler but who care really.

another stupid question....am i going to want the port pointing at the side wall with the driver facing me? or the port pointed at the back wall with the drivers facing each other from across the room?  

edit:  i'll clarify a bit.  i can't put both of them against the back wall because the right side comes out at a 45 degree angle so i was planning on putting both of them at the position at which the angle stops.  here's a (dark) pic of my room so you'll know what i'm talking about.

IMG 1266

Edited by dewthedru

http://www.parts-express.com/xlr-female-to-rca-female-adapter--240-428

i'm still deciding between regular speaker terminals and speakon connectors at the sub.  doesn't really matter to me.  speakon seems like it would look cooler but who care really.

Speakon is fast. Great for pro audio. Kind of useless for home theater.

They're quick

They're definitely that, as well as cool and professional looking, but I don't see why they are necessary on something that may go years without being touched. They are nice with pro audio stuff which may be connected and disconnected multiple times a day, and you may have 10 other amps to do this with. You don't want to have to be fishing a bare wire into a terminal hole then screwing it down that often. Just plug in, twist, click, done.

I don't see why they are necessary on something that may go years without being touched. 

You could say the same for bananas.

I must admit, you are right, they're a little overkill, but for the price and what they do, what's a little overkill among friends????

Monoprice also makes RCA to XLR cables that are wired properly. One example:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4777&seq=1&format=2

They make with either XLR male or female ends. Many different lengths available.

i just read your review on their site.  are you saying that buying something from parts express carries a higher chance of obtaining something that's improperly wired?