Chorus I's, how much power?

Mystik Cabs

Both the Chorus 1 and Chorus 2 are rated 100 wpc continuous and 1000 wpc peak... and I think they (in my case Chorus 2) sounded best when driven with a higher powered amplifier. So at a minimum, find something with at least 100 wpc.

Chorus i & II were rated at 400 watts RMS and 1000 watts peak.

How much power you need depends on how loud you listen and room size more than anything.

A 20 WPC amp will drive Chorus models well but if you like it loud 200+ watts per channel is better, the K-48 woofer welcomes the extra power and the speaker comes alive at higher volumes.

Guest Steven1963
Chorus i & II were rated at 400 watts RMS

Not so sure about that.

I personally like a little more power than my speakers are rated. Usually around 25% more. So in the case of the Chorus I, I would want an amp rated at least 125wpc.  I do this so that the amp has plenty of 'oommpphh' for the more powerful portions of the music.

Edited by Steven1963

Not so sure about that.

I am sure, if you are using the Klipsch Chorus websight pages for information on the specifications it is listed wrong.

Edited by jason str

The Chorus models can sound very good up to reasonable volumes with a very small amplifier. However, if you are looking to fully drive them to their max potential or output you really need about 300 watts per channel. 200 watts gets you about 80-90% of the way there but they will bottom out at the upper end of the volume knob. I've driven my Chorus II's with a Sunfire 600x2 and they seemed to love the extra juice but really a 300x2 will do the job just fine.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Not so sure about that.

I am sure, if you are using the Klipsch Chorus websight pages for information on the specifications it is listed wrong.

That was what I looked at.  Why the heck can't a guy trust a manufacturer's website for specs? 

The speaker is 101 sensitivity.  One watt will be 101 db at 1 meter.  Ten watts will net 111 db, and 100 watts will be 121 db and 1000 watts will net 131 db.   Not much differece between a 100 or 300 watt amp.  Just a few more db. You willl most likely loose 10 db at the MLP on average.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

2.5 times the power yes, but DB levels dont increase the same amount as the power.  in other words going from 100 watts to 200watts doesnt mean you get 2x the "volume"

im sure others can explain it better or show a graph, but i recall reading how DB's increase based on power, & it takes a lot of extra watts to double volume, as indicated by derrickdj1's post.  from what i understand anyways...

Edited by klipschfancf4

Not much differece between a 100 or 300 watt amp. 

Only about 2.5 times the volume

I believe it would be 4.771213 additional dB headroom using a 300 watt amp vs. using a 100 watt amp in the situation derrickdj1 is describing.  You can find frequency response variations in the Heritage speakers in that range.

Power ratio to dB conversion

The gain GdB is equal to 10 times base 10 logarithm of the ratio of the power P2 and the reference power P1.

GdB = 10 log10(P2 / P1)

P2 is the power level.

P1 is the referenced power level.

GdB is the power ratio or gain in dB.

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 2

Not much differece between a 100 or 300 watt amp. 

Only about 2.5 times the volume

I believe it would be 4.771213 additional dB headroom using a 300 watt amp vs. using a 100 watt amp in the situation derrickdj1 is describing.  You can find frequency response variations in the Heritage speakers in that range.

Power ratio to dB conversion

The gain GdB is equal to 10 times base 10 logarithm of the ratio of the power P2 and thereference power P1.

GdB = 10 log10(P2 / P1)

P2 is the power level.

P1 is the referenced power level.

GdB is the power ratio or gain in dB.

yeah, what he said... ;)

Here is a quick reference table that shows how doubling the watts gives an additional 3 dB of headroom for speakers with sensitivity from 86 dB - 104 dB.

Speaker SPL - How much power do you need.jpg

post-36163-0-85580000-1427835739_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 2

thanks fjd,  thats what i remember seeing or something just like it way back in a stereo review magazine. 

the benefit of more power isnt just DB increase,  having some reserve power means the amp isnt working as hard & may provide stronger bass etc at any given DB level.  & will make it "easier" to drive the speaker harder or to higher volume levels.  so for power hungry speakers like the chorus, or big klf's & epics etc, a bigger amp, of decent quality, will usually have better performance compared to the same quality lower power amp.  

• Like 1

It takes 3 db to be slightly louder and 10 db to be double the volume.  In the scheme of things 3 or 4 db is not a lot when we are talking about a speaker that can hit 110 db at a 10 ft MLP with 100 watts.  If you like listening to things louder than 110 db on a regular basis, you will eventually need a 1000 watt amp and bigger speakers, lol. :lol:

Edited by derrickdj1

Pulled from the web:

"Decibels, dB, are a measure of loudness. Unlike other measurements, decibels are logarithmic in scale not linear.

Speed is linear, 40km/h is twice as fast 20km/h. Time is linear, 60 seconds is twice as long as 30 seconds.

Decibels arent, 80dB isnt twice as loud as 40dB. 80dB is twice as loud as 77dB !

This is how "decibels" interprets into "loudness":

+1db is 1.25x louder
+3db is 2x louder
+ 20db is 100x louder !"

This is how I've always understood it. If the above is true than 4.77db would be about 2.5 times louder as I stated above.

"the benefit of more power isnt just DB increase,  having some reserve power means the amp isnt working as hard & may provide stronger bass etc at any given DB level.  & will make it "easier" to drive the speaker harder or to higher volume levels.  so for power hungry speakers like the chorus, or big klf's & epics etc, a bigger amp, of decent quality, will usually have better performance compared to the same quality lower power amp."  

I agree 100%.

Unless you like to listen at ear bleeding levels I would imagine 100-150 watts per channel would do fine.  I have Forte II's and they do require some tinkering with placement, toe in.  Also finding the right amp, associated gear and adequate room dampening is a must for Klipsch speakers to sound right. Mine have had the x-overs re-built and titanium tweeter diaphragms.  But in the end they are not for everyone. Good luck