RF83 with RC64ii, RF82ii and twin RC62ii(I am so excited)

robbiey60

So this is going to be my system. I am currently running the 82iis as mains, 64ii as center and rc62iis(not a misprint) as surrounds. My new to me RF83s are in transit due before the weekend and they are obviously going as my mains, 82s to surround duty and 62s to rear surrounds. My current system sounds amazing to me so I am anxious to get these older flagship towers set up. Has anyone else here mixed speakers like this? Any suggestions as to what I might expect? I am not to worried about timbre mismatch as I already have the 64 between the 82s and I like the combination. I had wanted RF7iis and have tried to save for them however here in New Zealand Klipsch is very expensive new and 2nd hand almost non-existent. I managed to get these RF83s cheaper than my RF82iis so I couldnt let that pass. Are these as good as RF7iis? I most likely will never get to hear the 7s so comments on the differences between the reference flagships would be good too. Cheers guys

Will post pics as soon as they arrive!!

My system is pretty mixed up and sounds really good.  I think the timbre mismatch can be overcome just by playing with the xover settings on your receiver.  I had the most mid level problem when I added my RF-25's, they were very over powering in the mid range level.

• Moderators
My new to me RF83s are in transit due before the weekend and they are obviously going as my mains, 82s to surround duty and 62s to rear surrounds.

Hi Robbie, congrats on the new RF-83's!  I used them for several years in my HT and absolutely loved them.  I've owned just about every older Reference Speaker Klipsch has made, Forte II, Chorus II, KLF-32, CF-2, and CF-4 and I still chose to keep the RF-83's.  It wasn't until I purchased LaScalas that I even considered replacing the RF-83's.  They are incredible speakers and if you feed them power, they sound even better. 

Has anyone else here mixed speakers like this? Any suggestions as to what I might expect?

I personally think can expect to have one killer Home Theater!  :D

I am not to worried about timbre mismatch as I already have the 64 between the 82s and I like the combination.

If you like the sound of the RF-82 / RC-64, you should have no worries about pairing the RC-64ii with the RF-83.  Take a look at my Complete Rf-7ii System Purchase (Best Deal Of My Life) thread.  If you look at the 5th post in that thread, you will see where I make this statement...

FWIW, I did forget to mention that I hooked up the RF-7ii / RC-64ii and did some A/B comparison in the HT with one scene from Ironman3 and I didn't hear any noticeable difference at all between the two systems.

For HT, I didn't hear any noticeable difference.  I remember swapping the RC-64ii with the RC-64 and again, my ears didn't hear any difference.

I managed to get these RF83s cheaper than my RF82iis so I couldnt let that pass.

I would have jumped on them as well.  It's hard to pass up a great deal.

Are these as good as RF7iis? I most likely will never get to hear the 7s so comments on the differences between the reference flagships would be good too.

Take a look at my RF-7 vs RF-7ii vs RF-83 Comparison Thread.  I believe all three speakers are fantastic, especially for HT.  When I did that comparison thread, it was in my living room in a 2ch setup so it was easier to hear the different qualities they possess.  I personally do not think one is necessarily "better" than another.  They are all 3 Flagship Reference speakers.  All 3 have very similar sound in bass.  The high's do vary though.  RF-7 being the brightest, RF-83's having the most laid back sound and the RF-7ii somewhere in between.  I chose to keep the RF-7ii because they were right in between and to my ears, I preferred that sound the best out of the 3. 

Hope that helps and looking forward to the pics.

• Like 1

• Moderators
I think the timbre mismatch can be overcome just by playing with the xover settings on your receiver.

I could be wrong but I would think EQ, Audyssey etc would have more to do with it than a crossover setting.

I had the most mid level problem when I added my RF-25's, they were very over powering in the mid range level.

I agree that it's difficult to match entry level tier's with flagship tier speakers.  Those "little guys" just struggle to keep up with the big boys. :lol:

• Like 1

My new to me RF83s are in transit due before the weekend and they are obviously going as my mains, 82s to surround duty and 62s to rear surrounds.

Hi Robbie, congrats on the new RF-83's! I used them for several years in my HT and absolutely loved them. I've owned just about every older Reference Speaker Klipsch has made, Forte II, Chorus II, KLF-32, CF-2, and CF-4 and I still chose to keep the RF-83's. It wasn't until I purchased LaScalas that I even considered replacing the RF-83's. They are incredible speakers and if you feed them power, they sound even better.

Has anyone else here mixed speakers like this? Any suggestions as to what I might expect?

I personally think can expect to have one killer Home Theater! :D

I am not to worried about timbre mismatch as I already have the 64 between the 82s and I like the combination.

If you like the sound of the RF-82 / RC-64, you should have no worries about pairing the RC-64ii with the RF-83. Take a look at my Complete Rf-7ii System Purchase (Best Deal Of My Life) thread. If you look at the 5th post in that thread, you will see where I make this statement...

FWIW, I did forget to mention that I hooked up the RF-7ii / RC-64ii and did some A/B comparison in the HT with one scene from Ironman3 and I didn't hear any noticeable difference at all between the two systems.

For HT, I didn't hear any noticeable difference. I remember swapping the RC-64ii with the RC-64 and again, my ears didn't hear any difference.

I managed to get these RF83s cheaper than my RF82iis so I couldnt let that pass.

I would have jumped on them as well. It's hard to pass up a great deal.

Are these as good as RF7iis? I most likely will never get to hear the 7s so comments on the differences between the reference flagships would be good too.

Take a look at my RF-7 vs RF-7ii vs RF-83 Comparison Thread. I believe all three speakers are fantastic, especially for HT. When I did that comparison thread, it was in my living room in a 2ch setup so it was easier to hear the different qualities they possess. I personally do not think one is necessarily "better" than another. They are all 3 Flagship Reference speakers. All 3 have very similar sound in bass. The high's do vary though. RF-7 being the brightest, RF-83's having the most laid back sound and the RF-7ii somewhere in between. I chose to keep the RF-7ii because they were right in between and to my ears, I preferred that sound the best out of the 3.

Hope that helps and looking forward to the pics.

Thanks Youthman, I have been following your posts for a while! I remember way back when I was running F30s and an rc62ii and looking at your setups and thinking wow, 1 day I would love a setup like that. That day has very nearly arrived. This is my end game(for now, lol) to improve on these speakers I would be looking at NZ10k easy for lascalas, Khorns etc. I almost feel content! Now my receiver is a bit old...

• Moderators

That day indeed is almost here! I'm very happy for you bro. Just a heads up...the game never ends lol

Not sure what NZ10k is. If you are patient, you can find either of those speakers for a very affordable price. Last year, I was 2nd in line for a pair of Khorns for $250. Lady inherited them from her uncle and didn't want them. I sold my RF83 and RC64 after buying all 3 LaScalas and had money in my pocket after the upgrade.

My system is pretty mixed up and sounds really good. I think the timbre mismatch can be overcome just by playing with the xover settings on your receiver. I had the most mid level problem when I added my RF-25's, they were very over powering in the mid range level.

I have audessey xt(not 32) and thx processing, both of which do a good job sorting my system out.

So they wont be here until next week, stresses me out but I kind of expected it being easter weekend and all. We have just moved(renting for another year at least) and I was holding off on setting my system up until my new speakers came. I have just the 82s set up but I think I will have to set everything else up over the long weekend. Oh well, when they do come it will be that much better!

10,000 New Zealand dollars youth. Come on :)

7465.25 in usd

I could get lucky one day, there is a set of heresy for NZ$900 lol. Those prices I quoted are for brand spanking new mind you, the heresy are 2nd hand. And amazingly a set of original rf7s just came up on trademe(NZ ebay), if I hadnt just purchased rf83s I would have jumped on them. 1st rf7s I have seen over here. There is one shop here claiming to have new rf83, for NZ$7990!!!

• Moderators

7465.25 in usd

Before you think I'm a moron, realize the mobile version of the forum does not show his location. :). I actually thought he was doing the talk to text and it just wrote something goofy. Lol

7465.25 in usd

Before you think I'm a moron, realize the mobile version of the forum does not show his location. :). I actually thought he was doing the talk to text and it just wrote something goofy. Lol
befire you think that I thought you were a moron realize I use mobile too lol. I've just been all over the world and I put two and two together before when he said stuff was hard to find used where he was at. :) just giving you a hard time. New Zealand is on my list of places to visit. Been so close three different times in Australia. But so close so far

• 2 weeks later...

So after waiting almost 3 weeks they have finally arrived! I am just as excited as all the guys getting their new 7s. Am stuck at work so pics will come later..initial impressions they are big. Both sound and size. More to come

Trying to sort out pictures, not sure if I am doing it properly. 1st pictures of new rf83 compared to rf82ii. Subs no longer seem so big haha. These speakers are just amazing! A  welcome addition to my system. I have not yet set up all speakers properly so have not watched a movie. I have been listening solely in 2ch for now, subs turned off. These 83s are everything the 82iis are but better. Hats off to the rf82ii for bass, on my NAD with some eq added those things really hit hard. The 83s top them obviously but it was closer than I thought, just proves the 82iis are good, just not this level of good. The 83s serve up bass effortlessly, I notice the triple cones don't move as much but still provide the same level of bass and they do it without added eq. Where they really leave the 82iis behind though is the mids and highs. I am sure some of you already know this but for those who don't the 83s just sound huge. The 82iis are sharp and closed in compared to the open and smooth sound from the 83s, yet they loose no detail or crispness at all. Awesome speakers! Will post more pics when I set the rest of the room up.

post-56828-0-14280000-1429261681_thumb.j

post-56828-0-07760000-1429261712_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ok quick update on original impressions in the bass department. Have had a bit more time for critical listening, still in 2ch. The 83s are quite a lot better in bass response. The 82iis have almost as much output but sound very boomy compared to the tight ccontrolled bass of the 83s. These speakers are getting better by the day! I have 2 days off lol so will set up rest of speakers tonight and try a movie or 3 haha.

• Like 1