Dayton Audio SPA250 Vs Yung SD300-6

twk123

Hey I am going to build a subwoofer in the near future and need a plate amp. I am looking between the Dayton Audio 250W and Yung 300W. Does anyone have any experience with these and what has been the better choice as far as quality and longevity?

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250-250-watt-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-803

http://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd300-6-300w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-with-6-db-at-30-hz--301-510

I have used that Dayton (and its predecessor) 4 times and have only had small issues with the auto on function, but performance and longevity have been great. I would guess the oldest is over 5 years without issues.

The only complaint i have heard on the Yung is the bass boost is not defeatable. I have not used Or abused one yet.

The only complaint i have heard on the Yung is the bass boost is not defeatable.

I believe you can order them with or without bass boost.

Here is the one with no boost:

http://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd300-300w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-no-boost--301-508

I am leaning to the Dayton right now but want to cover all my bases. This will power my SW-12II until I sell some things to fund the Cinema F-20.

re boost: makes changing you mind a little more difficult. With the Dayton you can try either way without packing back up and sending back and deciding you liked it the first way! I change my mind all the time, mostly because I dont respect my own oppinions. BTW I never end up using the boost but it is a preference.

• 4 weeks later...

how did the new Dayton amp work out? Since I last posted on this thread, I had an opportunity to try out the Yung. A coworker had a JBL sub with a blown amp and wanted to spend as little as possible to fix. PE had the Yung on sale for under $100 so I pulled the plug and got it for him. It is very small and light weight but when put into action, performed well. It was driving a 12 inch subwoofer with ease. I would still give the nod to the Dayton but felt the Yung held it's own. Just to clarify, it was the 200 watt Yung I used not the 300 you were looking at.

Edited by MookieStl

For future research, some things I discovered:

• Use bass boost for sealed enclosures, non-boosted for ported
  • All Yung SD series amps have a low pass filter set at 30Hz.
  • Yung boosted amps cannot have the boost defeated, easily (but it is possible)
Edited by wvu80