Is it possible to run a 5.1 setup with the use of "high surrounds"

bobendele

Is it possible to run a 5.1 setup with the surround sound speakers being set / placed / used as the "high surround speakers".

I was playing with my AVR last night and could get the receiver to recognize and play test tones through the speakers set as high surrounds but only that was only an option after selecting I did in fact also have typical surrounds. The receiver would only play the test tones through the setup as I intended it to be and not try to search for / find the typical surrounds but after completing the Audssey calibration however it wouldn’t recognize the speakers at all. This was while trying to run the corrected Audssey calibration and dynamic eq; which is how I preferred to run the system. I did not however try or recall the system recognizing the system as I intend in the manual set up.

I played around with the audio formatting (DTS, DTS-HD and so on) and never could get the receiver to recognize the speakers / sound to come out. I tried this on HD cable shows, Blu-ray movies in both 5.1 and 7.1 through my PS3 and PS4, and even tried it through internet radio.

Is this just not a typical 5.1 setup? Is it an audio formatting issue with trying to do a 5.1 with high surrounds? Is the use of “high surrounds” only limited to a true 7.X and higher speaker setups?

Of note, I prefer to run the setup in this manner because I am renting so therefore prefer not to rip up carpet, I live in a two story house and the living room in on the first floor so I think going over head is also out of the question. Also the way the living room is set up it would be a nightmare to try and run along or behind the base boards; but I guess that is my only option if I can’t run this set up as I prefer.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

High surrounds as in a 7.1 setup or higher (where the speakers would be to your sides or behind you) but you can also run in place of one of those a high surround. The high surround would typically go near the front mains but set higher than them and the center.

With the way Audyssey works you need to connect those speakers to the "surround" outputs. Audyssey will run through all of the channels in order and it's brain melts when rear surround/high surround speakers are present, but not surround speakers. So connect them to the standard 5.1 channel outputs and Audyssey will do its magic to compensate for their physical position.

• Like 1

Is it possible to run a 5.1 setup with the surround sound speakers being set / placed / used as the "high surround speakers".

I think "no."

I'm going by memory and my own Onk 717, but I think you have to set up at least 5.1, and THEN you can use the height/wide speakers.

I think that is because the height/wide speakers use a derivative of the L/R channels by Neo-6 (or some other listening mode), and not the surround signals.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Speakers above the mains are called Front Height.  It is confusing calling them high surround.

My bad, learning as I go. 

So switching back to the old wiring setup and doing a Audssey recal till I get my other receiver (hopefully Saturday). I was pondering wiring the surrounds this afternoon but there isn't enough of a gap to push the wiring under the baseboards and I really don't want to run the wire up the corner of the wall and half way back on both side walls. So I guess the actual placement of the speaker will just have to stay as is.