WhereDidItGo?

oldtimer

General question that is seriously asked. I have been in many establishments that have a sign posted stating that "We have a right to refuse service to anyone". Is this sign legit? By that I mean can the owners rightfully refuse service to anyone?

Rightfully, or Legally?

In this context I meant legally.

Depends on the law(s), I guess...

You can refuse based on laws regarding hygiene.  No shirt no shoes no service.  But not because you are black, white, hindu, or whatever.

or whatever sexual orientation...

I guess that depends on state because the feds don't say that as I read this bit of google search I did which happened to pop up legal zoom.

Edited by USNRET

If I ran a pizza joint or some other small business this ridiculous law seems designed for, I would be more discriminatory of who paid the bill or not rather than worry about their personal beliefs or practices.  After all, why would you be in business to begin with?

Edited by oldtimer

You can refuse based on laws regarding hygiene.  No shirt no shoes no service.  But not because you are black, white, hindu, or whatever.

or whatever sexual orientation...

I guess that depends on state because the feds don't say that as I read this bit of google search I did which happened to pop up legal zoom.

How about as a landlord?

How about as a landlord?
I asked that very question to my property manager regarding my rental property. Reply was that there was so many opportunites to chose one over another (credit, pets, number of kids, etc) that there would be a hard time for anyone to claim discrimanation by a single unit landlord; no "trend"

There was no "trend" suggesting loss of religious freedom either.

Perhaps I didn't express myself very well. I was a first time landlord and had applicants that were in a, what..'protected class'.. but when the applicant showed a history of not staying in one place very long I was hesitant to rent to them. I asked if there might be an issue with picking one applicant over another (cause I was clueless) and the answer was that besides that I had a valid doubt in my mind and was a single unit, first time landlord there could be no question that I turned them down based on be a protected group. Hope that made sense.

Edited by USNRET

If I ran a pizza joint or some other small business this ridiculous law seems designed for, I would be more discriminatory of who paid the bill or not rather than worry about their personal beliefs or practices.  After all, why would you be in business to begin with?

what if the government forced you to accept the gig of providing pizza for the San Diego Chargers?  

should my friend, who happens to be black, be forced to cater the next National KKK Rally if they asked him or else be forced to fold up his business?  I sure hope not.

As much as i may love your pizza, I’d hate for you to be legally obligated to serve me.

I’m not a fan of new laws -- i think we have too many already.   I’d hope the market would weed out the bigotted idiots itself. Let word of mouth spread that such and such place won’t serve “x” type of people--and then the other bigots can gather there and it will keep them away from me.  

Edited by BigStewMan

tell me exactly when you lost your religious freedoms

i think it was when the moderators came to town and told us what we can talk about.

(Seriously; but said in a fun, well-meaning manner.  Some of my best friends are moderators--honest).    ^_^

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

Well in this case it kind of is because the original poster was intent on feedback being a partial determinant of future purchases.

I'd be absolutely astounded if future purchases had anything remotely to do with that particular posters motives for posting the thread in question. 

what if the government forced you to accept the gig of providing pizza for the San Diego Chargers?  

should my friend, who happens to be black, be forced to cater the next National KKK Rally if they asked him or else be forced to fold up his business?  I sure hope not.

As much as i may love your pizza, I’d hate for you to be legally obligated to serve me.

I’m not a fan of new laws -- i think we have too many already.   I’d hope the market would weed out the bigotted idiots itself. Let word of mouth spread that such and such place won’t serve “x” type of people--and then the other bigots can gather there and it will keep them away from me.  

Forced?  If you take the order and they pay who cares?  If the chargers, or even the broncos or patriots put in a paid order, I would be glad to fill the order. 

Forced?  If you take the order and they pay who cares?  If the chargers, or even the broncos or patriots put in a paid order, I would be glad to fill the order. 

ok--you weren’t a good example (and now not sure you’re really a Raider fan)  :D

i don’t speak for my buddy; but, i doubt very seriously that he’d care how much food the KKK ordered or how much they were willing to pay. He should be able to pass on that one. Now, i can see that any business owner can claim some objection to any group of people -- clowns, cops, bullfighters … which is why i really don’t think we need to be forced to do things. I think there are a lot of choices out there for people … do i really need to get my pizza from you if i know you don’t want me there?  Isn’t it better for everyone if i go around the corner where I’m wanted? 

Here's the basic concept.  if Faggy McFag and the *** Nation put in an order for whatever business some one might be in, it does not make any difference than if it was Oral Roberts and the oral congregation.  Business is business.  At no time does that ever interfere with your practice of your own religion.  It does not infringe on your own beliefs.  It does not infringe on when and where you go to worship.

At no time does that ever interfere with your practice of your own religion

not true.  some people feel that they are now participating in something that is against their religious beliefs…and if you force them to, then they either stop doing business or do it and have a guilty conscious feeling like they’ve sinned.  

I may not agree with someone’s personal beliefs; but, that doesn’t make them less real for that person.  So who am i to say that they need to put aside their belief just so my feelings aren’t hurt? To do so would be the epitome of arrogance.

Edited by BigStewMan

It's not about  beliefs.  You are free to believe what you will, but if you set up for business you should not be able to discriminate on a belief basis.  Take the money and go to your church.  Give them ten percent if you will.  What is the problem?