WhereDidItGo?

oldtimer

At no time does that ever interfere with your practice of your own religion

not true.  some people feel that they are now participating in something that is against their religious beliefs…and if you force them to, then they either stop doing business or do it and have a guilty conscious feeling like they’ve sinned.  

I may not agree with someone’s personal beliefs; but, that doesn’t make them less real for that person.  So who am i to say that they need to put aside their belief just so my feelings aren’t hurt? To do so would be the epitome of arrogance.

You go into business to make money.  Give me a break.

It's not about  beliefs.  You are free to believe what you will, but if you set up for business you should not be able to discriminate on a belief basis.  Take the money and go to your church.  Give them ten percent if you will.  What is the problem?

It’s all about beliefs.  Unless they are providing a vital service (doctor, fire fighter, etc.) I don’t think a person should be forced to do something against their conscience; and it’s not up to you or I to decide what should or shouldn’t bother their conscience.  Now, i don’t agree with this line of thought; but, i’ve heard that some bakers have felt that making a wedding cake for your above referenced Faggy McFag’s wedding puts them in the position of being a celebrant of something that they believe is wrong or against their religion or whatever their objection is.  I don’t think it means that they condone it or are celebrating it; but, if that’s what THEY think it means i’m not about to force my view on them, or tell them to suck it up and do it because it’s the law.  From a personal perspective; i don’t need to be right, i don’t need to get my way if it means that i have to force someone to go against their conscience. I can disagree with someone 100% and still be at peace with them; because i’m not going to force my way in.

If the cake isn’t made with love it’s probably gonna suck anyway  :D

Edited by BigStewMan

bake the cake and take the money.  simple.  Anyone who puts more into it than that is an idiot.  OK, as an edit, I think they are idiots.  Because why are they in business anyway? 

i don’t know; but, there was a store by my house that often had outdated food and medicine on their shelves that they sold to the public. They were in business to make money sure…but, i’d rather they had a conscience. 

Former neighbor owned a convenience store right across the street from a 6000 student high school. he told me his motto was “Over charge and Under change” and he’d laugh at how people never counted the change given to them. Fair business practice in his mind.

Last month i went to a restaurant. Owner quoted a price--I paid.  Left to go to grocery store while my food was being prepared. Came back and the owner handed me some money, apologizing for over charging me.  He was in business to make money and he had mine; but, being honest meant more to him than a few extra bucks. 

It’s easy for us to say something isn’t a big deal; but, we’re not the ones going home feeling as if we’ve done something wrong.  I don’t think that makes them idiots. I actually have more respect for the person that follows their conviction (whether i share them or not) than the person that will sell out for buck.  I have more money than i need -- don’t have much peace at all; so the idiots that obey their conscience seem to have one up one me.

That has nothing to do with the concept here.  No one is "forced" to set up a business.  It is ludicrous to then say they are "forced" to do anything.  They went into business to make money.  Every one of them.  Otherwise why bother?  No one is forced to go into business and everyone is free to exercise their religious freedom.  Once again, BAKE THE CAKE AND TAKE THE MONEY.

But did you go into a business and then refuse it?

not in the business world; but, i’ve applied to jobs and then, even knowing the job was mine, asked to be removed from consideration. One time, the employer (not the recruiter) called me to ask if i was sure that i wanted to drop out.  It was a fair pay increase ($1000 per month raise). I would have loved to have that extra money; but, didn’t want to do what it would take to have it.  I think we all at times have entered into a situation without having considered all possible scenarios.  When the baker opened shop, i doubt they said, “what will we do if Faggy McFag asks us to make his wedding cake.” 

everyone is free to exercise their religious freedom.  

Maybe where you live; but, not here.  One of my kids were told to remove a reference to God in a creative writing project. She was told that she could say higher power or a great spirit; but, she couldn’t say God or Jesus Christ.  I told her she could write the story the way she wanted and if she wanted to leave that in--leave it in and ask the teacher to call me if she had a problem with it.  Or the people in the office told to turn off their desk radio because they were listening to a religious station when the people playing rock or pop music were allowed to keep theirs on.

we’re not going to agree on that statement at all.  And i’m not a fan of cake; but, I’ll take a pie if you’re in a baking mood.

(and now not sure you’re really a Raider fan)

You are treading on really thin ground here.

Just wanted to reiterate that.

hey it was fair question to ask … collaborating with Chargers, Chiefs, and Broncos??? Just trying to shock you back to your senses.  You know, Chargers don’t allow you to buy a single game ticket for the Raiders.  If you want to see the Chargers/Raiders, you have to buy multiple game tickets. They want to keep Raider fans away from their stadium.

Americans have used the Bible to justify segregation, discrimination, war, genocide and murder. There always will be people who try to explain their bigotry as religious freedom. That's why, for example, it took so long for civil rights laws to pass. That's what we do here in America. We find some clever way to discriminate without admitting even to ourselves that that is exactly what we are doing.

• Like 1