sweet la scala bass vs. Jub bass

alexg5775

This post is just for my general knowledge and a future system i am looking to put together, just fyi.

Long story short i went from la scalas, to k horns, and now own cf4's. I thought the la scala bass had the sweetest, tightest bass of all these speakers. The khorn bass i was not to fond of, a bit sloppy and maybe "slow." The cf4's have amazing bass, i would say louder and more impact of the la scalas but did not have that tightness the la scalas had, which i miss.

I am looking in the future to upgrade my current speakers. I have always dreamed of a pair of jubs. I hear great things about the jubs although i have never heard a pair. My question is how does the Jub bass compare to the bass of the la scalas? The tightness, the impact, the spl, and over all quality of the bass. I have always been a bass addict. I have a tht now and i am looking for a pair of speakers to compliment the tht well with clean, tight, chest pounding bass. I dont know if this is feasable, but i was thinking to even go with 2 la scala bass cabs per side, or 4 in total, i fugure 4 15's in a horn enclosure would offer more spl and hopefulyl sound as tight and clean as 4 12's in a horn enclosure (Jubs).

Thanks for any and all help,

Alex

• Like 1

I agree with you on the Khorn, Lascala & CF-4 in the bass sound assessment.

Jubilee bass bins are nice but do not offer anything above and beyond the sound of the Lascala except some extension in low frequency. Now the mids are a whole different story but we are talking bass here.

Get yourself a set(s) of Lascala's to pair with your THT and cross them over @ 100 Hz and you will have yourself a sweet sounding setup.

If you still want an upgrade from there and have the room move up to a set of MCM's.

• Like 2

Jubilee bass bins are nice but do not offer anything above and beyond the sound of the Lascala except some extension in low frequency. Now the mids are a whole different story but we are talking bass here.

Get yourself a set(s) of Lascala's to pair with your THT and cross them over @ 100 Hz and you will have yourself a sweet sounding setup.

If you still want an upgrade from there and have the room move up to a set of MCM's.

is there an easy easy way to cross these at 100khz -by that I mean , do you modify the crossover

Edited by Randyh

is there an easy easy way to cross these at 100khz -

100khz? I think some super-ultra-mega tweeters are in order  :P

...I thought the La Scala bass had the sweetest, tightest bass of all these speakers...

The Khorn bass I was not to fond of, a bit sloppy and maybe "slow."...

The CF4s have amazing bass, I would say louder and more impact of the La Scalas but did not have that tightness the La Scalas had, which I miss...

photo-31857.jpg

Sounds to me that you have issues integrating corner horns into your room. I've never heard anyone say that Khorns--well implemented with good corners and mid-bass traps in at least one corner of the room--were "slow".  I have met people that didn't realize that the sound of direct radiating woofers (like the CF4s)  is actually distortion that allows them to hear the percussive bass effects more readily due to both harmonic and modulation distortion products that make the bass sound "palpable" and more easily heard listening to their higher harmonic and much, much higher modulation distortion.  But, as you have noticed, that direct radiator bass sound with its distortion doesn't wear well over time.

Jub bass bins aren't Khorn bass bins.  They are much more "palpable" (usually, based on room acoustics), cleaner sounding (i.e., lower distortion) and more efficient than Khorn bass bins.  They also integrate more easily into your room since, in effect, they don't need a tight seal in two corners of the room, and the Jubilee loudspeaker can be turned to toe-in toward your listening position more easily than Khorns (Khorns have to be in the corners at 45 degrees or they have 250 Hz "suck out" in their FR due to unequal horn mouths).  Jub bass bins can also be crossed over at a more reasonable (higher) frequency to the midrange without incurring diffraction of their dual horn mouths--all relative to the wider-set Khorn bass bin mouths with their azimuth spread toward the side walls and its resulting more uneven FR and polar coverage.

My question is how does the Jub bass compare to the bass of the La Scalas? The tightness, the impact, the SPL, and over all quality of the bass. I have always been a bass addict. I have a that now and I am looking for a pair of speakers to complement that well with clean, tight, chest pounding bass.

Jub bass bins are everything that you hope for--trust me.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

is there an easy easy way to cross these at 100hz -

a correction is in order sorry guys 100htz

Edited by Randyh

is there an easy easy way to cross these at 100khz -

100khz? I think some super-ultra-mega tweeters are in order  :P

oops 100htz

- yep  -oops 100htz

My question is how does the Jub bass compare to the bass of the la scalas? The tightness, the impact, the spl, and over all quality of the bass.

Having bought a pair new in 1979, I've owned LaScalas now for 36 years.  I also bought a pair of Jubilee's in 2007 (or was it 2006?) so I've owned those for about 8 years.

In simple words, the Jubilee's crush the LaScalas.  (<--period)

That said, if you took a LaScala, added something like a Danley DTS-10 to augment the bottom and ditched the midrange/tweeter horns in lieu of the K402 horn (K510 would also work if you had space issues), this combo would probably beat the stand alone Jubilee.

Take the Jubilee and add the Danley DTS-10 and watchout for a happening

As has been said, if you have room for some MWM cabinets (add a K402 on top), you will have something that will stomp the Jubilee.

(I've owned some MWM cabinets for a number of years as well so I've heard most of these combo's at home)

I'm "right up the road" from you, I'm about 15 miles off I-75.  If you're ever in the neighborhood, you are welcome to listen for yourself.  It's probably 6-8 turns from your door to mine...  it's only that middle straight-away stretch that creates an issue :unsure:

The DTS-10 does not play nicely up to the frequency where the LaScala starts rolling off + the THT offers lower distortion and he already has one.

I'm not a real Klipschorn fan myself and have heard them on many occasions with many types of gear and in lots of settings.

There are tradeoffs in everything audio and its nice to get lots of opinions but to be sure you get what you really like its best to hear it for yourself.

we have to get the Jubilees in a proper perspective as they are PWK last speaker design with a lifetime of experience -

:  the Jubilees are huge , they tend to be a TRUE REPRODUCER - versus per example a Scala or Khorn -

-they are a life-like speaker that will reproduce the source material impeccably and without coloring the sound at all - the recording on the CD will ensue through your ears , accurately - as if you were in the recording studio - flat -right down to any deficiency in the recording or by that matter all of it's qualities

--the bass is tighter , more defined than a k-horn -and in comparison with the scala ,  the bass bins are taller and wider -resulting in a wider sound experience - the first time you will hear a Jubilee , you will :D

Edited by Randyh

MWM bass bins is what i meant in my first post in this thread and not MCM i apoligize for my mistake.

Sucks getting old & forgetful. :huh:

Jason,

It is easier to remember if you know what the initials stand for.

They called the MCM 1900 "The Montengator"

If you look up the word Montengator, it is a mythical creature, a large Alligator with 2 heads, one at each end and the beast is eternally pissed off because it cannot take a crap.

The first letter in each piece is the letter "M", and that stands for Motengator!

In the case of the MWM Bass bin, it stands for "Motengator Woofer Module!"

Does it make more sense to you now?

Roger

• Like 3

I do remember Michael using that term in previous posts, its hard to remember everything.

My brain holds only so much information and if i have to remember this i will need to get rid something else like 18436572 or 9046861556, you probably know the first one being a gearhead and the second number is a old girlfriend's phone number from 25 years ago.

I'm bad with remembering peoples names too.

I do remember Michael using that term in previous posts, its hard to remember everything.

My brain holds only so much information and if i have to remember this i will need to get rid something else like 18436572 or 9046861556, you probably know the first one being a gearhead and the second number is a old girlfriend's phone number from 25 years ago.

I'm bad with remembering peoples names too.

Jason,

Michael didn't even know it was called "The Motengator", let alone what the initials stood for.

My buddy Kevin Harmon gave him the Motengator name for them. Kevin got his info from his buddy Roy Delgato.

Roger

Sounds to me that you have issues integrating corner horns into your room. I've never heard anyone say that Khorns--well implemented with good corners and mid-bass traps in at least one corner of the room--were "slow". I have met people that didn't realize that the sound of direct radiating woofers (like the CF4s) is actually distortion that allows them to hear the percussive bass effects more readily due to both harmonic and modulation distortion products that make the bass sound "palpable" and more easily heard listening to their higher harmonic and much, much higher modulation distortion. But, as you have noticed, that direct radiator bass sound with its distortion doesn't wear well over time.

Agreed.  My Khorns sound fast & tight and are very clean in the bass.  They are pushed tightly into the corners, and have a gasket.  I'm sure Jubs are better (although I've never heard Jubs), but these particular Khorns in our room are anything but slow and produce bass that shakes the house several rooms away without the help of a subwoofer.  La Scalas also are fast and tight, but roll-off too soon in the bass.  Most speakers I've heard that are not horns are either  "loose," "burpy" and somewhat distorted in the bass below about 80 Hz OR have comparatively restricted bass.  The subwoofers I've heard (and/or owned) have the same problem. 

I'd think the OP would be happiest with horn loaded Klipsch pro speakers, such as those mentioned above, although I'm surprised that Khorns didn't work out for him.

I am blessed to have my highly tweaked La Scalas

They just make me happy listening to them every time I play music, and that's just about every day

However I have been known to say that I would only swap for a pair Jubilee's

But the K - 402 horn suggestions above are giving me ideas