sweet la scala bass vs. Jub bass

alexg5775

I believe that I understand a lot of what polarizes people about La Scalas, and I'd say that the first thing that comes to mind is how they are integrated into the room.  I think that most people don't really do anything with them in-room to help them to sound their best--because they don't understand much about them. 

For instance, if you line them up against a wall--or even out on the floor of a room a couple of feet--without toe-in in a room without carpet and a low ceiling, and listen to recordings that are badly mastered (lacking bass or otherwise with too much higher midrange-treble in the 1-4 kHz region, without subs and with SS amplifiers having a great deal of higher order harmonics (due to moderate negative feedback and poor 1970's-style circuit design), you'd probably want to turn them off immediately.  Even having one or two of these "defects in room or system integration" will make them sound terrible. 

Also, I find that most guys don't really talk about what they are listening to and how loud that they are listening--and this becomes some of the most important information of all when discussing La Scala performance.  Expectations for bass performance vary all over the map--as I have found, and La Scalas have very special bass performance - clean and "fast" with revealing mid-bass (100-300 Hz) that some people like to accentuate when listening to old 1960s style rock and pop recordings.

Really the same basic things are true of Khorns but with some significant differences, since they must be in good corners and have some damping material on the floor and on top of the loudspeaker top hat in order to control the vertical polar frequencies from the K-400 midrange horn between 400-1600 Hz.  And you must have a ceiling at least 8 feet high or control the early reflections from the ceiling by diffraction or absorption.  Smooth walls with nothing between the Khorns and nothing near the speakers on the side walls or out on the floor--these things are really required to get the "magic" of Khorns working in your room.

I've always been surprised that Klipsch Corp. doesn't have fairly detailed written instructions or videos on YouTube that help buyers with getting these two loudspeaker types set up properly.

For corner horns and for La Scalas used in corner horn fashion: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/131163-corner-horn-imaging-faq/ or http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/Corner_Horn_Imaging_FAQ

YMMV.

Chris

I like the La Scala alot but no competition for the Jubs.

perfect answer -  -let's be realistic -the scala has one 15 inch woofer - the jubilee  two 12inch woofers - and a much wider cab - now take 2 scala bass bins and add the HF section of the jubilee and you will have a pretty good  combination , otherwise the Jubilee is better -

Honestly I don't feel you are going to gain much by adding a second LaScala to each side.  Reason I say this, is I have a Jamboree which is 180 degree folded horn with 2 15's.  I am currently running that on one side and a LaScala on the other(the LaScala will be used as a center once I build a second Jamboree).  Though the Jamboree has more bass in your face with authority and more out put, I don't feel the extra 15 is really needed in home environment.  I have a thought that, that is why Dana Moore the designer of it, designed a single 15 version or a like.  Just my 2 cents.  

the OP  had and I quote this question - " 

My question is how does the Jub bass compare to the bass of the la scalas? The tightness, the impact, the spl, and over all quality of the bass  "  - 

Honestly I don't feel you are going to gain much by adding a second LaScala to each side.  Reason I say this, is I have a Jamboree which is 180 degree folded horn with 2 15's.  I am currently running that on one side and a LaScala on the other(the LaScala will be used as a center once I build a second Jamboree).  Though the Jamboree has more bass in your face with authority and more out put, I don't feel the extra 15 is really needed in home environment.  I have a thought that, that is why Dana Moore the designer of it, designed a single 15 version or a like.  Just my 2 cents.  

I am surprised that you did not build a Jubilee rather than the jamboree -

I've always been surprised that Klipsch Corp. doesn't have fairly detailed written instructions or videos on YouTube that help buyers with getting these two loudspeaker types set up properly.

Chris

I agree 200% It would be nice to see a return of the Dope From Hope. A no BS audio guide would be great.

My question is how does the Jub bass compare to the bass of the la scalas? The tightness, the impact, the spl, and over all quality of the bass  "  - 

PWK thought the Jubilee was so much better than the khorn and heritage that it deserved its own designation. The bass quality of the Jubilee is top notch and not fair to compare to the La Scala. The La Scala and Belle are great with similar qualities but they don't go as low as the Khorn and the Jubilee goes a little lower than that. Its not a slam against La Scala or Belle I have lived with both them and would love another pair of either.

The design goals for PWK and Roy's Jubilee was:
Smoother response in the passband.
Distortion lower than the Khorn. 
Decrease in second and third harmonic distortion
Extended LF response past 600hz and it hits about 1200hz.
Bass response lower than the Khorn.
All design goals met.
Edited by seti

PWK thought the Jubilee was so much better than the khorn and heritage that it deserved its own designation. The bass quality of the Jubilee is top notch and not fair to compare to the La Scala. The La Scala and Belle are great with similar qualities but they don't go as low as the Khorn and the Jubilee goes a little lower than that. Its not a slam against La Scala or Belle I have lived with both them and would love another pair of either.

The design goals for PWK and Roy's Jubilee was:
Smoother response in the passband.
Distortion lower than the Khorn. 
Decrease in second and third harmonic distortion
Extended LF response past 600hz and it hits about 1200hz.
Bass response lower than the Khorn.
All design goals met.

perfect answer -thank you -

There are plans for the Jamboree, and some folks think it is better than the Jubilee. Plus, there are no real plans for the Jub, except at Klipsch. Dana's designs are good, even if he may have borrowed heavily from others work.
  • Like 1

that is why Dana Moore the designer of it, designed a single 15 version or a like.  Just my 2 cents. I am surprised that you did not build a Jubilee rather than the jamboree - There are plans for the Jamboree, and some folks think it is better than the Jubilee. Plus, there are no real plans for the Jub, except at Klipsch. Dana's designs are good, even if he may have borrowed heavily from others work.
Was Dana Moore "D-man" on the forum?

that is why Dana Moore the designer of it, designed a single 15 version or a like.  Just my 2 cents. I am surprised that you did not build a Jubilee rather than the jamboree - There are plans for the Jamboree, and some folks think it is better than the Jubilee. Plus, there are no real plans for the Jub, except at Klipsch. Dana's designs are good, even if he may have borrowed heavily from others work.
Was Dana Moore "D-man" on the forum?

He was D-Man. Sorry to see him not around anymore. He started http://www.soniphase.com/

I've got some plans he sent me for double checking measurements, etc. The plans call for a single 15 incher in the bass bin. We had some great exchanges. I miss him, too.

Edited by Marvel

Honestly I don't feel you are going to gain much by adding a second LaScala to each side. Reason I say this, is I have a Jamboree which is 180 degree folded horn with 2 15's. I am currently running that on one side and a LaScala on the other(the LaScala will be used as a center once I build a second Jamboree). Though the Jamboree has more bass in your face with authority and more out put, I don't feel the extra 15 is really needed in home environment. I have a thought that, that is why Dana Moore the designer of it, designed a single 15 version or a like. Just my 2 cents.

There are plans for the Jamboree, and some folks think it is better than the Jubilee. Plus, there are no real plans for the Jub, except at Klipsch. Dana's designs are good, even if he may have borrowed heavily from others work.
To answer your question Randy, marvel kind of hit it on the nose. Plus I had the drivers. I would rather go with plans I know are good than some that are pieced together. Plus the jamboree looked easier to build. Some day if I have the funds I would love to purchase a set of Jubilees.

Honestly I don't feel you are going to gain much by adding a second LaScala to each side. Reason I say this, is I have a Jamboree which is 180 degree folded horn with 2 15's. I am currently running that on one side and a LaScala on the other(the LaScala will be used as a center once I build a second Jamboree). Though the Jamboree has more bass in your face with authority and more out put, I don't feel the extra 15 is really needed in home environment. I have a thought that, that is why Dana Moore the designer of it, designed a single 15 version or a like. Just my 2 cents.

To answer your question Randy, marvel kind of hit it on the nose. Plus I had the drivers. I would rather go with plans I know are good than some that are pieced together. Plus the jamboree looked easier to build. Some day if I have the funds I would love to purchase a set of Jubilees.

for the Jubilee , these carry maximum efficiency and balance with dual 12 inchers  passive or active , 2 or 3 way ,and the owner is free to create his own masterpiece -

Edited by Randyh

He was D-Man. Sorry to see him not around anymore. He started http://www.soniphase.com/
He took time (and it took a lot of time!) to explain to me the obscure details of the throat design and frequency propagation of the K-horn bass bin, when I was mucking around in there a few years ago.  He sure knew what he was talking about.  I wish him well in his very interesting endeavor with Soniphase.

"The La Scala and Belle are great with similar qualities but they don't go as low as the Khorn and the Jubilee goes a little lower than that."

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/messages/14/144899.html

Really?

As far as deep bass, the current horn (Klipschorn) looks to go lower than the final prototype (Jubilee)

Edited by djk

With all the speakers we have used in our 18 x 22 listening room the LaScalla's are the ones we like the best for the chest punching bass. Ours are setting on top of a pair of Table Tuba's even at the lowest volumes seriously doubt there could be much more of an improvement. Whatever the assessment my search is over we finally have what we have always wanted and as we all know that is the bottom line.

Good luck to all in your quest for that perfect sound reproduction.

One setup that was very "jub-like" that I have heard was Cigarbum's Khorn setup that had some home built false corners with his Khorn bass bins set inside.  Some of the best Khorns I have ever heard and very tight "in your face" clear clean bass.

And of course if you want something that sounds considerably better than a Jubilee just look at my avatar.  :)

• Like 2

"The La Scala and Belle are great with similar qualities but they don't go as low as the Khorn and the Jubilee goes a little lower than that."

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/messages/14/144899.html

Really?

As far as deep bass, the current horn (Klipschorn) looks to go lower than the final prototype (Jubilee)

DJK   -1 )  does the k-horn go lower than the Jubilee -

2)  what similarities do you see with the Roy Delgado 's Jubilee vs the JBL Hartfield bass bin -