Acer Electrionc products = Junk

minermark

Had a few Monitors left over, from years past, today on my CCTV system for the house the third Acer went south, good thing, now i can buy a real LED.

Back in my company days, an Acer caught fire on a guys desk :o

So the company IT was getting rid of all the Acers, i took a few, looks like one per year is what i went through, it is on 24/7 but i have HPs and Dells that have been running 6 years.

Acer is a popular Fry's branding, steer clear.

one of my sons had an acer laptop. terrible computer, but a great skillet. it would get so hot you couldn't even touch it!

Yeah, i forgot about those, they are into Pc's also are they not.

Considering all my Acres were free i really cannot complain, each one of the Monitors last a year give or take.

and Dells that have been running 6 years.

My main PC at home is a Dell from 2007. I have a bunch of Dells, with two running Win 7, one with Win 8.1 and a couple with Linux Mint 17 xfce. There's more in the closet.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Yeah, unfortunately, like a lot of computer companies, they just get too big and go downhill. They shifted from being a manufacturer to a marketer, and when that happens the quality typically suffers. They are currently spiraling downhill with no end in site just like Apple did in the 90s. They are still about 3rd in market share in PC market, but it is hard to get giant in that business and keep it all together. Compaq couldn't do it, nor IBM, mor Dell. There is a definite life cycle to these companies and if they cannot reinvent themselves they implode and get gobbled up by someone else (like Compaq, IBM PC division, Pakard Bell, etc.).

You want reliability and support, by USA made. MacPro made in Texas like Dell used to be, Lotus, and Velocity Micro, Puget Systems, last three are supported here also.

Scary that a monitor catches fire though, wow. I am guessing there was no UL lable on that thing.

• Like 1

Acer is decent for a cheapie laptop. But they are on the frail side. You want well built, I recommend business class laptops over everything else but mil spec ruggedized. I see far fewer business class machines with repair issues than I do consumer class laptops, Apple included. 

Edited by Kent T