Dear Klipsch - Suggestion for a higher end computer 2.1

SuBXeRo

No, some of us need satellite speakers that are smaller than that - much like the ProMedia 2.1 has. What we are asking for here is, a higher quality version of that. Those bookshelf speakers are too big. I don't have enough space.

So, why not have a high-end version of the ProMedia 2.1 system? It would/should have high-quality 16 AWG satellite speaker cables (probably made by Monster) that plug into the back of the satellites and also the amplifier. It would also have higher quality drivers (speakers) and probably also an 8" subwoofer with a superior cabinet design for superior low-end reproduction and less chuffing. The system would also have more power than the ProMedia 2.1; more power for the satellites and more power for the subwoofer. The amplifier would be superior quality as well - and so would that control pod.

Edited by TwoCables

Klipsch, you have made many wonderful products over the years but my peeve has always been in the PC 2.1 department.  My GMX set (thankfully discontinued) was....lackluster for a klipsch product both in sound and quality.  The promedia series is better and i'd say worth the $150 you pay for it.  My gripe has always been with the capabilities of the satellites while the subwoofer has always been adequate to very good and that the amp always seems to have problems.

I think that you are really missing something with the WB-14's.  I've tested the RB-10, RB-52, RB-5 and RB-5 for near field and the RB-10's were OK but the rest were just not near field material at all.  I bought the WB-14's for my computer because i wanted something more than the promedia series could offer.  Amp unreliability is rampant and once you get them cranking, the horn starts to show its limits which is really disappointing.  I went and bought an HSU downfiring sub and an emotiva a-100 to power them.  The amp is solid, the subwoofer is great and the speakers....more than i could ever ask for in a near field position.  The clarity and openness of these speakers, and really the entire Icon W line beats any klipsch speaker i have ever owned and i think that really says something.  They were always overppriced and only bought them on close out through newegg when i felt they were priced properly for what they are.

Klipsch, you could do a higher end computer set.  Base it off of the WB-14, do a less nice veneer, pack a quality plate amp in the sub, beef up the sub slightly, include some fitted & angled isolation pads and you'd have a set worth $300-$350 that people would pay for.  Just my $0.02 for your product development.

Always a fan,

Ian

Note:

Monitor is  32" monitor

Agreed 

I always said the Icon series from 2011 had a nice sound due to the horn geometry.  The WB are a bargin when sold for the deep discount price.

Agreed

Don't be shy... post what you want, and more importantly how much you would pay.

I will tell you that revamping the PM2.1 and making a high-end 2.0 (powered bookshelves) or 2.1 have been considered MANY times and it all comes down to making the business case.  How much will it cost? Where will it be sold? (i.e. will the retailers take it and put it on the shelf) What will people pay for it? and How many will we sell?

We did it once, it was called the iFi.  My son still uses mine on the gaming computer he built.  I always thought the high end was a little lacking, but I was overruled when it came time for the final EQ.  One of these days, I'm going to take mine apart and re-EQ it... one of these days... when I have time...

We though we had a commitment from one retailer for the iFi, who will remain nameless, but a few months after launch, they cancelled the orders and brought in their own system.  Didn't last much longer after that.

We did it recently with the Stadium, although that's not a computer speaker.

We also have the Jamo P404, and at one point there was the Jamo P102 and the Jamo i300.

None of them have sold in big numbers.  (That is the key)

I've always wanted to take some of the smaller HT sats and put them with a sub, but I've never been able to convince anyone (like the Quintet sats or even the less expensive HD Theater sats).  The XB-10 sats were probably the best sounding sats I can remember and those would have made a KILLER 2.1 setup... but I guess I'm not much of a saelsman. The XB-10's weren't cheap though.  The point of using existing sats is to avoid a lot of tooling costs.  I've pitched it a number of times.  The current version of Quintet speakers would make an excellent little 2.1 system.

P.S. I've been here since the beginning of the PM2.1 and there was never a plan to put an 8" in the sub.

I utilize XL-12s(brother to the XB-10) on my desk at work on the pedestal stands that were sold with the XL-23s. Bass is handled by a Synergy Sub-10 and I use the DTA-1 15wpc amp from Dayton. I honestly enjoy it more than my system at home. The sound stage is ridiculous and they look absolutely gorgeous. Because I went back to 5.1 at home I deployed the XL-12s for surround duties for about 6 months while I tried out Gallery G-12s and quintets on my desk. Sorry but not even close and no comparison. These will never leave my desk again. I have $285 into this setup and the speakers, sub, and amp were all purchased brand new over the last 2 years. Plus I like the idea that it's fairly custom with the stands deployed on the XL-12s and something that probably no one else has. 

However, I understand that Klipsch cannot produce items to satisfy most of the members on this forum. Their goal is to make money and satisfy the masses, and I think a $150 does that. Only people on this forum would consider a $500 desktop setup, and that will not keep the lights on at Klipsch as much as we all would love to see from them and I'm sure Klipsch would love to produce. But the business case is certainly not there. 

post-51058-0-76520000-1455747290_thumb.j

post-51058-0-50120000-1455747299_thumb.j

No, some of us need satellite speakers that are smaller than that - much like the ProMedia 2.1 has. What we are asking for here is, a higher quality version of that. Those bookshelf speakers are too big. I don't have enough space.

So, why not have a high-end version of the ProMedia 2.1 system? It would/should have high-quality 16 AWG satellite speaker cables (probably made by Monster) that plug into the back of the satellites and also the amplifier. It would also have higher quality drivers (speakers) and probably also an 8" subwoofer with a superior cabinet design for superior low-end reproduction and less chuffing. The system would also have more power than the ProMedia 2.1; more power for the satellites and more power for the subwoofer. The amplifier would be superior quality as well - and so would that control pod.

The iFi might have been perfect for you.

How much power?  What would you pay?  Did you see the mini retro 2.1 concept that was shown at CES?  I keep pitching (again, I'm not a salesman) this type of system and it keeps getting shot down.

If we offered an electronics only solution, and you could pick the sats and sub, would you do that?  How much would that be worth?

http://www.klipsch.com/blog/klipsch-at-ces-2016-day-3/

Take a look at the "Power Gate" concept.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's hard for me to see the business justification for a more expensive computer speaker.

I just purchased a second pair of PM2.1 from Kilpsch via Amazon to be used with my wife's computer.  For years I've enjoyed the nearfield experience of listening to Pandora and Spotify while toiling at the computer.  It's hard to imagine an improvement these 67 year-old ears could appreciate that would justify spending more than the $150.  

My only criticism of the PM 2.1 is the gain for the sub.  I always have it set at the minimum.  Anything more and I feel like I'm at an intersection.  I would prefer having some ability to turn up the gain until it sounds boomy and then dialing it back slightly.

When the amp dies or the foam surrounds rot away, if I'm still on this side of the ground, I'd replace them with the same thing.

Edited by DizRotus

My only criticism of the PM 2.1 is the gain for the sub.  I always have it set at the minimum.  Anything more and I feel like I'm at an intersection.  I would prefer having some ability to turn up the gain until it sounds boomy and then dialing it back slightly.

You may need to reduce the Bass setting in your operating system, or in the control panel for your onboard audio or your sound card (whichever you have) - or both the operating system and the control panel for your sound card or onboard audio. I can show you how to reduce it in Windows and in Creative's X-Fi Console Launcher. Beyond that, I would have to look it up on the internet.

Also, many media players have a Graphic Equalizer, and lots of sound cards and onboard audio solutions have a Graphic Equalizer in their control panels as well. It's possible you might need to look into this as well. I know where the Graphic Equalizers are in Windows Media Player 12, Winamp, and even Foobar. Beyond these, I would have to look them up on the internet.

Edited by TwoCables

I just upgraded my setup...  I had a sub I wanted to use that my dad and I built 20 years ago (which I upgraded about 5 years ago with new drivers, BASH plate amp, and much better port).  I picked up a Dayton T amp and moved my RB-51's to computer duty.  I'm pretty happy with it.  It's all setup temporarily for now.

25872007525_3476cb121b_h.jpg