Fastlane Audio Cornscala Project started.

Getting the details right seems a bigger deal this time... prob because I don't intend on coming back to a pair of cornscalas after this one... Im done :-). With Dave's help we are packing a whole lot of speaker in a pretty small package. (I went to Lowes 4 times before getting the right fasteners to bolt the HF driver to the Eliptrac tweeter. The B&C DE750 was much easier... but now Im trying over engineer the brace... have it support the horn but lock the horn into place so that the screws art event really needed. It will be 4 weeks before my crossovers are ready so I sort of have time to ruminate on the details.

I actually redid my 3 racks today. The MA2275 went downstairs as its wife friendly... my Pre and mono blocks went into daily duty and the guest room got the old emotiva XDA-2 as the pre and my 2nd set of monos for power. All this bending over has me wiped. (The Downstairs is back up and running but it will be a week before I have the other 2 rooms done). Way too much cable for any one person.

When I was spending the big bucks on passive crossovers and building and buying all of ALK's designs, the best I ever heard in the cornwall was the ALK B. He doesn't advertise it anymore. Dean built mine. Basically it was not cost effective but it sure sounded great. I use them to this day in my Cornwalls.

I didn't like the ESNs in my Cornwalls. On Khorns and on the DBBs I am running now yes. Not on my LaScalas either. I use ALK Jr. (X) on LaScalas.

Justin you should look into the ALK "B" network. Ask either Al or Dean. I also have the schematic as Al left them on his website for DIY download for quite some time then took them down.

Now he offers a Universal budget network that is compromised compared to the B I am talking about.

It's very expensive to try everything, which is what you almost have to do to know for sure what you really like -- not many have the resources that you and me did ten years ago.

When it comes to networks, people tend stay with what they're comfortable with - it seems to be an area where people just don't like to experiment (though they seem to have no trouble dropping thousands so they can try different amps, etc.). Take this situation with Justin for example: he was almost ready to just go with the budget oriented CornScala-wall, simply based on his past experience with it. His next choice was something else he'd had early exposure and success with. and so that's the direction he's taking. Most are just like Justin -- they tend to stay close to their original frame of reference.

I'd think brace wise for the mid-horn all you would need is a brace under the very back of the horn running across to both sides of the cabinet to help support the weight of the horn/driver on the motor board. This would also have the added benefit of adding some stiffness to the large sides of the cabinets.

The cornscalawal was what I used in my last build. It's great but I like higher order networks for the bass. My real decision was to try the ES500 network Andy couldn't bring myself to it.

Regarding human behavior. I think the idea that we go with known choices is very true.

Looking good!

Trying a lot of crossovers doesn't have to cost a lot in the end... buying used and selling for about the same works out to not as much spent in the end.  The cash flow can be rough but it seems crossovers sell quickly here.  

My builds seem to be a last stop, which was always my goal. In all fairness, most of Al's higher end builds don't come up very often either. So, the better sounding stuff doesn't show up very often, and when it does, it's still kind of pricey.

I had started the Crossover Roadshow so people could hear something different, and it was very successful at doing that. I really wish I had the resources (money) to build up three or four different things so people could experience them for free. I won't do a try before you buy or offer returns because quite frankly -- the tire kickers would bankrupt me.

I would really enjoy seeing Justin build up his own crossovers -- just a simple design using the Jensens. When people rule things out based solely on the opinion of one or two people, they really run the risk of short-changing themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks... its looks great, should sound just like my splits have. I’m already thinking about the next one :-). Dave cutting the Baffle makes the building go a lot easier and with tighter clearances... The Woofer fits like a glove... not even a 1/32 reveal. The support rig for the woofer stiffens the baffles where it counts.

Edited by justinsweber