5.1 Music Discs

NBPK402

I don't necessarily like up-converting 2 channel modes compared to the original, but converting 5.1 to 7.1 with different surround information being sent to the rears than the sides It's  AWESOME! I had it explained to me by Sanjay over on AVS Forum and it's  because of the nature of the original surround mixers intent of it either being 'stereo' to the surrounds or a mono signal directed at either the right or left....I mentioned it in the linked thread but on Burning Down the House David Byrne's voice circles and appears to be coming out of each surround/back speaker (4) along with the speakers in the front soundstage (sans heights).

Quite a few Talking Heads songs showcase this effect and I've been able to achieve it using the basic 'Matrix' functions on prior Denon AVRs and it is EXCELLENT when using PLIIz in the current AVR-4311ci.

Edited by tkdamerica
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any recommendations for DVDAudio, SACD, or DTS discs for listening to?

Looking at what you have, anything by Donald Fagan would be most excellent--Morph the Cat I believe was the latest and Two against nature is my favorite, but all are real good to great DVD-Audio, insofar as SQ and material...If you are a The Fixx fan, 1011 Woodland is a treat.

Edited by tkdamerica

Elton John (eponymous album) SACD 5.1

Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection SACD 5.1

Elton John - Madman Across the Water SACD 5.1

Elton John - Honky Chateau SACD 5.1

Ya know, being a tremendous Elton Fan in my early years collected all of his SACDs and thought they were extremely well done and I loved how those familiar songs sounded so clear and crisp in multichannel--That said, I hardly put those disks in any more and don't really know why...Madman is great (along with dozens of others)!

Jacinta-My Name is Jacinta. Incredible female vocals

Diana Krall-The Girl in the Other Room. Also female jazz vocals

Dire Straits-Brothers in Arms. Breathtaking recording-used to demo audiophile systems at shows.

All on SACD

If you like Dire Straits I highly recommend finding Sailing to Philadelphia on DVD-A which I find myself playing more that Brother in Arms. :) I also have Shangri-La in that format and it has several good songs and both will give your Home Theater a workout!

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon SACD is a must.

Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach SACD

Fwiw, two classic albums I much prefer on SACD over the original 2 channel are David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic. If it hasn't been mentioned yet Avalon by Roxy Music is great--makes me want to have a multichannel version of Love is the Drug!

• Like 1

... Queens multi channel offerings are stellar if you can get past a few moments of too much treble in Freddie's voice. The Drums in "Dragon Attack" spinning around the room is an instant smile maker and the intro guitars in "Death on two legs" will make your hair stand up.

...All of Steely's stuff is always spot on. 

...I just picked up the Doors "Perspective" box set and have not been able to listen to the multi channel yet due to being short two crossovers for my rears at the moment, but the two channel version offers the cleanest tracks I have ever heard from the Doors. Its well worth a  c-note to have every studio album in multi channel.

I TOTALLY agree about Queen about showing off your system in a great light, but watch out for those high notes in some passages--Actually, these along with Queens concert DVDs is where I notice it being too 'bright." I commented on Steely Dan earlier in the thread. and the Multichannel tracks on the Doors is amazing on the songs I really like [Note: Riders on the storm sounded in my living room like it used to in my head back in the two channel days} , but on others must need to be in the proper frame of mind which doesn't occur very often.

• Like 2

I just added Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms, Pink Floyd-Darkside of the Moon, and Wish you were here to my SACD collection. I also just got the Seal-IV DVD-A disc. The Brothers in Arms is outstanding in SACD!

I just added Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms, Pink Floyd-Darkside of the Moon, and Wish you were here to my SACD collection. I also just got the Seal-IV DVD-A disc. The Brothers in Arms is outstanding in SACD!

I don't have the Wish you were here SACD and really need to add it to my library. I agree Brothers in Arms is a classic multichannel music mix and don't have the Seal DVD-A you have, but do Seal's Greatest Hits on DVD-A- That is a disk I've played LOUD on many an occasion. :)

• Like 1

If you like Dire Straits I highly recommend finding Sailing to Philadelphia on DVD-A which I find myself playing more that Brother in Arms.

Love that song but have not heard the whole album.  The voices of Mark Knopfler and James Taylor really do complement one another in the title song.

I first heard it on this Jeff Hoak suggested CD which is fantastic by the way.

220px-Private_Investigations_-_Warner.jp

Not multichannel in CD form but with my NAD's "Enhanced Stereo" mode it sounds fantastic in 5.1.

Bill

• Like 1

I just got done listening to the Mans too Strong (from Brothers in Arms), and I was absolutely shocked as to how deep and powerful the bass is on the 5.1 version... Since my 2nd row is over the rear sub, my seat was actually transmitting the bass at only -20 on my Denon 4520. I do not recall it ever being so powerful and deep before.

• 2 months later...

I just got done listening to the Mans too Strong (from Brothers in Arms), and I was absolutely shocked as to how deep and powerful the bass is on the 5.1 version... Since my 2nd row is over the rear sub, my seat was actually transmitting the bass at only -20 on my Denon 4520. I do not recall it ever being so powerful and deep before.

I can dig it! The Bass on the Man's too Strong almost feels it can lift up my chair! Another cool effect is the crickets chirping on Prairie Wedding and the circling effect on Speedway at Nazareth, on Knopflier's Sailing to Philadelphia.

61nm4IMvDbL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got Queen's 30th anniversary edition of Night at the Opera. The DTS mix sounds exactly like I wanted it  to sound (in my head) back in the day. If you like his stuff, there are several excellent Peter Gabriel releases on DVD (Growin' Up tour - amazing DTS mix) Blu-ray (Live in Athens - Great show) and his solo studio albums were released in SACD but good luck finding them for a "decent" price. Another acquired taste is Steven Wilson who's music is difficult to pin down. Regardless he is a master mixer/recording engineer. His band, Porcupine Tree, and his solo stuff sounds amazing in surround. He also did some of the recent mixes for Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP, and King Crimson. Lastly, Tom Petty's last few records were released on Blu-Ray and sound great. He also released Damn the Torpedo's on Blu-ray. I hope he will get around to releasing some of his other stuff as well.

Listening to most of the DVD-A, SACD and Blu-ray Audio discs is far more satisfying (for me) then all but a few (well recorded) CD's. Collecting them is a fun hobby, but too expensive.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

1347370199_1323715619_poncho-sanchez-con

This is an "on-the-stage" multi-channel recording.  Although hard to find, it is very well recorded, with tracks like "Watermelon Man" scoring a 15 when using the dynamic range (DR) plug-in in foobar!

Basically, 15 means there's tons of detail and dynamics.  The imaging is spot on too.  The stereo CD is ok too, but I love this on the stage mix.  Sounds like the artists are surrounding me.

My version is 6 channel 96kHz 24 bit, but there's also this stereo 88.2kHz version floating around:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/80847