Home theatre build....DIY..slowly..

MercedesBerater

Can you add receptacles easily in the future for subwoofer locations? You never really know the best locations in a room ahead of time. 

Also, consider you might want Dolby Atmos in the future if not right now. You would either be using ceiling speakers or extra speakers on top of your mains.

• Like 1

I have four locations for subwoofers. Two sub outlets at front wall, two at rear wall.

I am against Dolby atmos in THIS room, the ceiling is not tall enough for the proper effects it could add.

Right now I'm trying to find nice speaker wall plates & subwoofer wall plates.

Tons of banana plug outlets for speakers, can't find a single RCA plate for subwoofer. All of them are composite set up.

Any ideas on where to get a wall plate with ONE rca jack for sub?

Oh, Amazon it is! Nothing on mono price. Surprising.

Amazon has a few options.

As far as running possible side wall subwoofers, I Could do that, but that would really cramp the side walk areas.

I would assume running 4 x 15" subs - each near or in each corner should be plenty of options. I could do tucked right in corner, or I could do multiple feet away from corner and 1-2 feet away from back wall if required.

My one trick up my sleeve is I'm leaving the exterior wall unfinished for a while. I'll move into the room and listen and enjoy for a while. If things need to move or be added I can access the side and rear walls very easily to run new wire. Once I'm 100% happy with everything then I'll close up the walls.

• Like 3

I put in wall plates for subwoofers in two locations, but ended up using speaker wire to drive my latest subwoofer in yet a third location, so sometimes you can't plan for everything!

I did the same with 5 pre-wired sub locations and I'm not using any of them, go figure.

MB, for atmos, that looks like a 8 ft ceiling height? I would recommend that you pre-wire it for atmos now before sheetrock is done. It wouldn't take long at all and very inexpensive. You never know, you might want to add overhead later and then all you have to do is cut the speaker hole, attach speaker wire and mount. I did notice a water pipe in the picture that is under the ceiling joists, are you going to move it up out of the way?

I love seeing builds like this. Looking fantastic.

FYI - When I did my HT in my old house, I used runs of RG-6 and then terminated the subwoofer locations with RCA connectors. I had read a couple of horror stories, but it worked flawless for me. Cheap way to wire several locations and then you just terminate the locations you use.

Mark

The water pipe will be attached to joists and the furring strips will give passage for the water pipe and conduit that runs perpindicular to the joists.

I've considered atmos pre-wire. I just don't know if at 7.75' if there's enough height to really get good speaker dispersion or if they'll be right on top of you and overpowering.

I have the 4 sub locations, I will have to deal with those options regardless. I do not want subs on side wall too close to walk area - regardless if it's the perfect location.

I really want to test the room as I go... But don't have power to the room yet. Hopefully get an electrician to put a sub panel in soon and get some power to my outlets.

I'm only doing the bottom half of walls right now so I can still have some light trickle through.

Pretty soon I'm going to be at a standstill until I get the electrican here.

I suppose I could run some cable to atmos :/

Not ideal, but you could always use a heavy guage extension cord. I am a very impatient person so I am told :)

For all my inwall speaker wiring, I always did a test on a cheap speaker to make sure nothing was damaged during the drywall installation. That way I could fix any issues before the tape and mud. Found this out the hard and expensive way on one house.

Edited by agile1966

That's true. I just don't have any small speakers to lug around ;)

And I'm hoping my very careful wiring saves me. I ran all wires with ZERO twists in the wire, heck, I even measured my screw holes on the drywall so everything is mapped out- that way if I need to screw something later- I don't ain right at an existing screw!

I think I'm way overthinking this project... But that's half the fun for me.

My father-in-law has some chorus2's I could move easier to test wires.

Don't want to use a cheap speaker from a HtIB because they may not show the true signal coming through- crap speakers will sound like crap either way. If I use something nice I'll hear if there's static, or anything bizarre.

I put in wall plates for subwoofers in two locations, but ended up using speaker wire to drive my latest subwoofer in yet a third location, so sometimes you can't plan for everything!

I did the same with 5 pre-wired sub locations and I'm not using any of them, go figure.

MB, for atmos, that looks like a 8 ft ceiling height? I would recommend that you pre-wire it for atmos now before sheetrock is done. It wouldn't take long at all and very inexpensive. You never know, you might want to add overhead later and then all you have to do is cut the speaker hole, attach speaker wire and mount. I did notice a water pipe in the picture that is under the ceiling joists, are you going to move it up out of the way?

Would you have atmos speakers directly above seat position? Or two slightly in front, two slightly behind?

That's true. I just don't have any small speakers to lug around ;)

I think I'm way overthinking this project... But that's half the fun for me.

It is half the fun and when you're done there will always be a couple of "oh man I wish I would'ves". (That's ok!)

Your room looks great! Maybe you've seen this but here is a link to my project - I don't know if you'll get any additional ideas but I always seemed to pick something up from everyone else's builds. I still don't have my door on the room so I'm waiting to do measurements but I can tell already that success has happened for most frequencies but even with isolation, etc the bass is my nemesis.

To put my summary of my project in the most layperson terms, you will be able to tell a movie is being watched, but at least it won't be obnoxious on the floor above. I suppose that's victory! :-)

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/145598-addition-theater-room-sound-insulation/

I think it makes a big difference over the standard. Even our rigid ducting was lined with sound deadening material by the hvac guys. It didn't cost too much more but it kills the ringing and Echo down a ton.

Originally they were going to share a trunk with the floor above and just offset the vents. That would have quickly killed the whole point! Glad I took the morning pre install off to brainstorm with them!