Home theatre build....DIY..slowly..

MercedesBerater

So far, I think I purchased two tools. A second drill so I don't have to swap bits all the time. I use one for pre-drilling wood & drywall counter sink bit and the second more powerful drill for spade bit boring, driving screws, hammer drill function, etc. it's so nice to have one drill to pre-drill and th second ready to go to sink a screw

-----

The interior walls will be 40 sheets of drywall total, and the ceiling 32 sheets (if I double- haven't decided yet. I'll do one layer and see how it sounds upstairs..)

I used one full tube of GG per drywall sheet. And I'm not upset at all that I didn't use two. One tube I found myself at the last few squirts from the tube looking for places to apply to the sheet to keep it even. Two tubes would have been so thick!!!

Keep in mind according to GG themselves; one tube is 70% effective as two tubes.

I can't justify doubling the GG budget for a small increase.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got insulation done in ceiling... Working on strapping now to affix drywall to. Was going to do resilient channel... But I think a second layer of drywall & GG is the better trade off for the price.

Here's the front half of room with stage, drywall done.. Insulation in. & screen size sharpie marker on wall for reference. 110" Diag screen.

That leaves me 20" from bottom of screen frame to stage for center channel. Center is 8.75" tall (iirc) and 36" wide. So I'll either have to set on stage and use the built in feet to angle up- or make a custom 8-10" speaker stand. (Which I'll worry about after the room is done... That's a minor detail for now)

post-60770-0-01480000-1444578830_thumb.j

• Like 2

Picture above is with a slight dim to the lights... This one is 100% lights on.

The two square holes in ceiling are for Atmos. Will be using the Klipsch ceiling enclosure & the cd5800cii

The smaller 6.5" would be more than enough.... But trying to match the big 10"'s of the rf7 and the 15" subs up front.

Trying to stick with the 'go big or go home' look

post-60770-0-48000000-1444578978_thumb.j

• Like 2

Looks good….I like the arched floor for the stage.

Thanks. I like it too, makes it have a little extra pizzaz. Like a real construction company helped build. Alas, it's all DIY.

I hope the columns turn out how I envision them when I get to that point!!!

It's the little touches that add up to a big hit when everything is finished.

Where will the columns go, at the edge of the stage? Are you making them yourself, or buying a pre-manufactured type?

I have no idea- I thought I remembered reading about adjustable feet when I bought it... But never looks at bottom of rc64ii or inside box to check for adjustable parts to attach.

If it's just stick on rubbers... Ugh. Time to rethink.. Maybe I can use different Harry Potter books depending on angle to prop the front up.

Guess I'll have to make a stand to keep it that low. Can't find any for a reasonable price point that are 12" or shorter

I have no idea- I thought I remembered reading about adjustable feet when I bought it... But never looks at bottom of rc64ii or inside box to check for adjustable parts to attach.

There should of been a screw about 3" long with a nut and with a rubber boot. It screws into the bottom of the 64 to angle it up.

Don't limit your search to just speaker stands. Search for stuff like planter benches, podiums, etc. Lots of options to use as a center stand. Or like you said, just build one........

Both.... I love projects. I'm looking forward to being done and enjoying the room & also moving on to the next project.

I like the home projects also. Right now I'm considering turning a living room next to a family room into one rather large room, it would measure 30'x26'. I might even remove the wall into the kitchen to really open things up. I would also remove the dated brick fireplace veneer and install cultured stone, then a stone wainscoting along a 30' wall with a stone walkthrough arch going into the kitchen.