Home theatre build....DIY..slowly..

MercedesBerater

How far from screen, and how close are your seats? Those angles will also affect.

And yes, my screen will be about 5-6" from ceiling. (The black frame will be higher, the white part will be about 6")

Also, I plan on watching from the front row middle seat only. AND my rear row will be staggered so you'll be watching between heads instead of over them.

• Like 1

Drat.

Well... Mine is almost just that too. 11' for front center seat. IIRC.. (Not going downstairs to measure right this moment)

And rear seats are slated to be about 5' behind that so there's plenty of walking room with leg rests down.. And still a little room for taller people with seats reclined front/rear.

Oh well... It's the best I can do with space constraints... And I'll sit in front anyways. And it's my room- the back row can pipe down :D

• Like 1

Thank you reference room! I appreciate that.

I can't wait for it to be done... I've done it all myself...so far it's been 13 months and counting... And the most expensive stuff is yet to come!!

Carpet $1500

Amps/processor $8,000

Projector $3000

Seats $4000

Divorce attorney? :D Just kidding. My wife loves the room and is just as excited as I am.

• Like 2

All I can say is push and keep pushing forward, lol.  There is a good chance that you could trim some money on the cost of the amp/processor and camera.  There are things out there of great quality for less.  I demo'ed an Anthem against a Pioneer elite on a system at a custom HT shop and SQ was a toss up and at reference level the Pioneer had more juice.  This was also the case with the Pioneer and McIntosh on the same system.  I guess some of it comes down to preference.

Edited by derrickdj1

• 3 weeks later...

Working on rear Jack-post (lally columns) wood column. Will also have another large width column on wall equal with the jack-posts.

One more jack-post to go, and two wall columns.

*Edit* Filled the wood column with GreatStuff expanding foam. The jack posts ring for about 3 seconds when you click them! Don't want the post to ring inside the wood column. When knocking on the wood column now.. It's just a dead thud.

*end of edit*

Will build in the R5650Wii into the side wall columns equal height with the tweeters of my front and rear RF7ii's.

My understanding is all tweeters should be about ear height with Dolby atmos configuration.

All of my tweets are 43.5" from floor... As that's what the RF7ii's measure at.

Any suggestions?

Thoughts on doing all 4 sides of the columns in the same trim pattern as my front columns have ?

I'm thinking yes... But not sure if it'll look too "busy" Or if not doing it, they'll look incomplete.

post-60770-0-49280000-1456687071_thumb.j

post-60770-0-37520000-1456687086_thumb.j

post-60770-0-28960000-1456687120_thumb.j

Edited by MercedesBerater
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Working on cables today.

Monoprice 12awg, 2 conductor --- sharpie markered the sheath black (it looked better than white when I slid the flex braid over it.

GLS banana plugs. (Black chrome)

Cable pants (*edit to add size detail*) 10mm black

TechFlex 3/8" expandable sleeping. (Carbon. Supposed to look like carbon fiber)

post-60770-0-67020000-1457810312_thumb.j

• Like 2

Parasound Halo A21 (LF&RF), A31 (center, LR & RR), A23 (side surrounds), A23 (overhead Atmos)

What other amps have you considered in planning for your room? if you are interested in reducing cost, there may be other options that would achieve the same result at a lower price point. Outlaw and Emotiva come to mind.

Parasound Halo A21 (LF&RF), A31 (center, LR & RR), A23 (side surrounds), A23 (overhead Atmos)

What other amps have you considered in planning for your room? if you are interested in reducing cost, there may be other options that would achieve the same result at a lower price point. Outlaw and Emotiva come to mind.
I've thought about Emotiva for cost. The look of Halo is what's got me hooked. No amps have been purchased yet, I may still change my mind, Emotiva is so much cheaper!! The reason I originally steered clear is I read the Gain or some input spec of theirs didn't play nice with Marantz & caused hiss. I don't know if that's true or not though. Edited by MercedesBerater

My understanding is all tweeters should be about ear height with Dolby atmos configuration.

All of my tweets are 43.5" from floor... As that's what the RF7ii's measure at.

I'm currently in the process of doing my 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos system amd am confused as hell.. I know the placement of the speakers is crucial, At what height are your side speakers going? Dolbys site says side channel speakers as long as they are not atmos enabled do not have to follow this rule? So basically only the front channel would follow this rule for me being I'm using the RP-280FA's with built in atmos speakers. I also plan to add in two more atmos speakers behind my couch into my ceiling. which would you recommend? Love your build its going together very nicely, wish I had the space for something as big as this :)

I've thought about Emotiva for cost. The look of Halo is what's got me hooked. No amps have been purchased yet, I may still change my mind, Emotiva is so much cheaper!! The reason I originally steered clear is I read the Gain or some input spec of theirs didn't play nice with Marantz & caused hiss. I don't know if that's true or not though.

The Outlaw (ATI) amps have lower gain than Emotiva. Might be worth a look.

I think the original Emotiva XPA Gen 1 amps had 31 db gain while the Gen 2 have 29 db. The Outlaw 7125 has just 28 db gain.

• Like 1

I'm currently in the process of doing my 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos system amd am confused as hell.. I know the placement of the speakers is crucial, At what height are your side speakers going? Dolbys site says side channel speakers as long as they are not atmos enabled do not have to follow this rule? So basically only the front channel would follow this rule for me being I'm using the RP-280FA's with built in atmos speakers. I also plan to add in two more atmos speakers behind my couch into my ceiling. which would you recommend? Love your build its going together very nicely, wish I had the space for something as big as this :)

To my understanding all surround speakers should be direct radiators AND at ear level. The atmos speakers should also be direct radiators and either up firing modules or ceiling mounted.

My front and rear towers are all RF7ii so my side speakers will be mounted at 43.5" from floor to the center of tweeter. This is the height of the RF7ii tweeter center height from floor.

As long as you have the height I would prefer ceiling speakers as the towers with atmos modules in top are a bit of a compromise & placement particular to get everything dialed in. Where the ceiling speakers can be placed independent of all other speakers for the best location.

The guy who installed my RP-250S's for my side channel's hung them around the 6' mark. Which I thought was atleast a foot to 1.5' too high, as I also thought all the speakers should be at ear level when seated? His theory was since their is a couch on that wall less than 3" from that speaker he didn't want it blasting the person sitting in the couch along the wall. Even though no one ever sits there, LOL  Do you think my Yamaha RX-A3050 should compensate for this when having it do the room calibration thing? or is this something that needs to be corrected? I am also planning on purchasing another pair of RP-250S's to hang on the back wall for rear surrounds should those go at the 5' height as well?

Thanks