Home theatre build....DIY..slowly..

MercedesBerater

Close to the couch that's never used is up to you. If someone sits there it sounds correct. If no one sits there it sounds too high.

Your receiver should compensate by making all speakers dB level matched at the microphone position during calibration. It can not make your speaker sound like it's in a different physical location.

Ps- you should start your own thread so more people see it and you will get more responses.

Great progress being made.

I have Emotiva Gen 2 and Denon mix, so in the same family as Emotiva and Marantz. I can hear a slight hiss if I get really close. However, your 7s may act completely different than my Ultra THX2s. You could always try it out and send it back if you don't like it.

For Atmos, I went with 4 in ceiling direct radiators. I think they work perfect. Always funny the first time someone watches something at my house, they always start looking around at the ceiling and back wall to figure out where the sound is coming from. I would recommend buying the projector last. There is so much happening on the video side right now with UHD, HDR, Dolby Vision etc.

Thanks for taking the time to document your build. Love seeing your progress.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

I can't wait to get the speaker in the side wall column so I can trim that one too. I think it should be ok having the smaller jack-post column in the way. I suspect the side wall column will have about 90* dispersion which will give ambience to the front and rear rows (it's centered right between the rows) and the little ambient sound data that's sent to side surrounds that little bit of blockage from the inner post shouldn't matter too much.

Hope I'm right. If not, all rooms have compromises.

Love the columns.  Stain looks very classy.  How are you going to mount the speakers?

How do you like that subfloor?  Is it easy to work with?  My new home is a slab home and I would be interested in that subfloor when I change out the flooring,

Thanks Agile.

The r5650wii side soeakers are in wall and will be mounted inside the side columns in rear.

The plywood floor is a stage and rear riser. There is no subfloor or floating floor. But I do like the feel of the plywood underfoot. All plywood is two layers with green glue.

• 3 weeks later...

A few more sticks of trim & a I used a sharpie marker to doodle the rear in-column speaker so my wife can "see" my vision easier.

Took a few days off work coming up here in May, will hopefully finish all my odds and ends & be 100% ready for carpet!!

Also gotta get my butt in gear in the formal living room & finish the traditional raised panel wainscoting while I'm off work. Theater first though. Priorities.

post-60770-0-26200000-1462152336_thumb.j

post-60770-0-80440000-1462152348_thumb.j

Edited by MercedesBerater
  • Like 1

I like the speakers in the columns. Are you going to paint the grills?

The more I hear my atmos setup the more I like it. Does a great job with regular tracks unmixed. You are really going to like it.

What are you using for a processor? Your signature doesn't list one.

I will leave the column speakers bare I think. As all my other speakers are naked. I love the copper and cherry combo. I set the room design/color to mirror the colors of the copper and cherry.

I do not have an Atmos processor yet. I currently use a garbage pioneer $250 AVR that can't really even do room correction. It just sets distances, that's it!

By the time I'm done and ready to hook it all up- I hope Atmos is a little more commonplace. Right now I'm thinking Marantz processor with Emotiva Amps. And an Oppo BDP.

• Like 1