Help selecting a new AVR

Fiveoh

Hey guys,

New member of the Klipsch community.  I bought the RF-62 IIs in November and now have the RC-62 and RS-52s.  I love the speakers so far.

Unfortunately my Yamaha 5860 just died after having it for 11 years.  I have read a lot of reviews on here and AVS but the more I read the more overwhelmed I get.

I would appreciate any help.  

I am currently debating the Denon 3100W new or possibly a Marantz 5009 refurbished (I know the 3100W has the better EQ but lots of people seem to prefer the 5009).  I am very hesitant to buy something refurbished.  I see lots of recommendations to accessories4less.  I just want something that is going to sound great and last me a long time.

90% movies/TV, 10% music.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Fiveoh,

Welcome to the forum.

Too bad about the Yamaha but 11 years use is not too shabby.

Have you enjoyed the Yamaha?

If so, shoot for a newer Yamaha.

What is the max you want to spend?

A4Less is a good place to start looking.

Bill

Thanks for responding Bill.

Like anything else my budget keeps creeping up.  I was trying to cap it at $500 max and nearly bought the Denon 2100W when it dropped to $400 recently but held off do to the better EQ on the 3100 (and was told the components are higher quality in the 3100 than 2100?).  I got a quote for a new 3100W for just under $700 and I am thinking about it but really don't want to swing that much which is why I am considering refurbished.  Just don't want to kick myself later for saving $150 to have issues from a refurbished unit.

The Yamaha served me well. I just read the Denon and Marantz receivers match up really well with Klipsch speakers with their Audyssey EQ.

Edited by Fiveoh

That $500 range is a good one, there are plenty of good deals to be had on the used market.

I have purchased from A4less and got a decent 75 wpc Denon AVR that has not had any problems and looked great.  Your experience may vary.

That $500 range is a good one, there are plenty of good deals to be had on the used market.

I have purchased from A4less and got a decent 75 wpc Denon AVR that has not had any problems and looked great.  Your experience may vary.

How long have you had the refurbished unit for?

I got a refurbished Marantz AV7005 from Accessories4less, and haven't had any issues.  I thought I had a problem when I first got it, and their customer support walked me through the issue ( I didn't realize that HDMI cables with audio return were directional, and had cable hooked up in the wrong direction; my stupidity).  The product has been flawless.  So, I wouldn't worry about refurbished.

With the brands you are looking at, I don't think you can go wrong.  Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha should all make you happy.

Thanks guys.  I appreciate your input.

I am already signed up for Fry's promos but I haven't seen them offer promotions on any of Denon's higher models.  The 2100w is on sale now (as it is everywhere else).

I thought about the X4000 refurbished for the better EQ but I am hoping to buy this receiver and keep it another 10 years like my last one (I can get a new 3100w for the price of a refurbished X4000).  I know I will eventually get a 4K TV while I have this receiver so I was leaning towards the W lineup of Denon's that have the HDM 2.0 and 4k/60fps pass through support. I know I don't need that now with just a 1080p TV just trying to future proof some (although I don't think I need to wait for HDCP 2.2 from what I've read you will likely be able to get around that by buying a ultra HD player that will have both HDM 2.0 and HDCP 2.2).

I'm sure I'm over analyzing this as I tend to do with most of my purchases but I really just want something that is going to last me for quite a while.

• Like 1

Actually 11 years is REALLY good for an HTR Yamaha. The HTR series does not have a great track record for solid reliability. The RX-A, V, and Z lines have always been Yamaha's cream of the crop. You might look at the Yamaha RX-A1000 series, or the Denon X3 or later series. Just recently I did see another Sherbourn SR-8100 on the bay for $400. Speaking as another forum member that came off Yamaha to Emotiva/Sherbourn...if you can find one, it's well worth the money. Love it.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input.

I am already signed up for Fry's promos but I haven't seen them offer promotions on any of Denon's higher models. The 2100w is on sale now (as it is everywhere else).

I thought about the X4000 refurbished for the better EQ but I am hoping to buy this receiver and keep it another 10 years like my last one (I can get a new 3100w for the price of a refurbished X4000). I know I will eventually get a 4K TV while I have this receiver so I was leaning towards the W lineup of Denon's that have the HDM 2.0 and 4k/60fps pass through support. I know I don't need that now with just a 1080p TV just trying to future proof some (although I don't think I need to wait for HDCP 2.2 from what I've read you will likely be able to get around that by buying a ultra HD player that will have both HDM 2.0 and HDCP 2.2).

I'm sure I'm over analyzing this as I tend to do with most of my purchases but I really just want something that is going to last me for quite a while.

keep in mind by buying a lower model you aren't getting the same

Audyssey. Xt-32 is far superior.

• Like 1

How long have you had the refurbished unit for?

About a year.  I gave it to my son for a 5.1 system and he has had no problems.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  For my sanity I am trying to keep it between the 3100w and x4000 now.  I feel like I'm just opening up pandora's box by bringing more models in the picture.

I guess it just comes down to I have to decide if HDMI 2.0 with 4K 60fps and Multi EQ XT on 3100w is the way to go.  Or no HDMI 2.0 but HDMI 1.4 with 4k 24/30 fps Multi EQ XT-32 with the x4000 is the way to go.  Better HDMI vs. better EQ. Now the actual benefit of 24/30 fps vs. 60 fps is beyond me.  I don't know when the higher frame rate comes in to play (I've read most 4k movies are 24 fps but what about streaming content).

I don't have a 4K TV currently but I know I will eventually get one and plan on keeping this receiver a long time.  That's really what I am debating at this point.

• Like 1

I wasn't impressed with the X4000, I felt the amps were weak, especially considering the price. I know I am in the minotity though, that receiver is loved by most. I am probably getting the 4520ci or a SC-87 in the next week or so.

• Like 1

The difference between MultEQ XT vs XT32 is Night and Day. If it were me, I'd pick the x4000, fantastic receiver, it's all about the sound. ;)

Yeah I am starting to lean that way...budget keeps creeping up.

I wasn't impressed with the X4000, I felt the amps were weak, especially considering the price. I know I am in the minotity though, that receiver is loved by most. I am probably getting the 4520ci or a SC-87 in the next week or so.

Hmmm...I'm sure it should be a huge upgrade over what I was running.  A Yamaha HTR 5860.  I see accessories4less has the 4000 refurbished for $649, you can get new for $799.  The 4520 ci is $799 refurbished or $999 new.  The 4100w is actually also $999 new (if you click the refurbished link it gives you the option to upgrade to new).

• Like 1