Just ordered some RF7II's, a 64II, an amp/preamp and a sub!

gadgtfreek

Awesome. I've been worried about hiss issues. I did see some reviews with hiss mentioned, but it didn't specify if it was Gen1 or Gen2.

For sure toe in the 7ii's, Makes a big difference. I have all four of mine pointed at center listening position. There's a noticeable difference in clarity and whatnot when they're angled juuust right.

Yeah, it took me a few weeks to get current towers right. Spacing was tough too, too far out and it was just weird. Def toed in toward MLP sounded best. I also find I liked them setup somewhat equidistant. I think my towers are 8.5 feet apart, and 10.5 feet from MLP. Will start the same with the 7ii's.

Evidently, one request from Gen 1 to Gen 2 was for Emotiva to lower the gain. Since doing that, the hiss is gone from what I've read.

Another nice Amp, at about $1599 (up from $999 for XPA-5) is the Outlaw 7500. I still havent ruled it out, you can get a b stock for $1479. It is a hoss, and I will have to decide in the next week or two which one I want. I owned an Outlaw once, and I love them, so it'll be a tough decision.

Edited by gadgtfreek

I think you will be very pleased with your system. I do recommend the RC 64 ii if you can squeeze it in. I cross my RF 7ii at 60 for now but the beauty of it is, you can try 60 and if that doesnt grab ya, change it to 80. Whatever sounds better to you is the one you should use. 

Wow, I have the Outlaw 7125 and it sounds awesome with my RF 7ii. I think Emo will also deliver awesome sound but I've never actually heard an Emo.

That is the first amp I owned and I loved it. One reason why the 7500 is also on my list of targets.

Dang Pite, your sig is awesome. Anyway, I think either amp you go with will be just fine with those speakers. Plenty of power. Which, if I'm looking at the AVR correctly, the Denon will be just fine with em too. If thats a Denon you have listed.

i was sold on amps too until i did a double blind test and couldn't tell the difference between my xpa-5 and a flagship onkyo. now low level avr? sure probably at high volumes. but 4520 should run the crap out of them rf-7ii's. runs my kpt stuff all day and that's 6 15's across the front stage. 

• Like 1

Well, you already know what to expect from Outlaw (assuming the 7500 is same sound as the 7125) so if it were me, I'd look around for used Emo amp and if you prefer the Outlaw (or Denon) then you could resell it and not take a big hit. Some dont like buying used though. 

Hadn't planned on it. The 5 channels amps I am looking at our for future expansion, and it was part of the plan anyways. In my reading most seemed to suggest against bi amping so I have not really messed with it.

Taking the Outlaw 7500 for example, it is pushing 240w/channel at 0.1% distortion, while being rated at 200w/channel at 0.05%. Thats a ton of juice and it has two transformers so there is plenty in reserve. Just figured Id hook em up straight and save the other channels for later.

• Like 1

Well, you already know what to expect from Outlaw (assuming the 7500 is same sound as the 7125) so if it were me, I'd look around for used Emo amp and if you prefer the Outlaw (or Denon) then you could resell it and not take a big hit. Some dont like buying used though. 

Depending on the $$$ next week (bonus), I will either trade in the XPA-3 for an XPA-5 ($620), or sell the XPA-3 outright and buy the 7500 (probably cost $1000). All in all, Id rather have the outlaw, I'm just a fan of their ATI built gear. It's not a knock on Emo, just we all have our preferences :)

Or, I may just sit on the bonus for a few weeks and grab the 7500 anyways. I have some more amp reading to do. Im really under no pressure to sell the XPA-3 anyways.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Depending on the $$$ next week (bonus), I will either trade in the XPA-3 for an XPA-5 ($620), or sell the XPA-3 outright and buy the 7500 (probably cost $1000). All in all, Id rather have the outlaw, I'm just a fan of their ATI built gear. It's not a knock on Emo, just we all have our preferences

Nice setup by the way.

Keep the XPA-3 and give it a whirl and see(hear) what you get.  The 4520 will have an easy time driving the remaining channels.

If you feel you are longing for more, save and get the amp that you want.  The Outlaw 7500 is a well designed beast that will never break a sweat.  There is a reason that ATI builds amps for other companies.

Bill

• Like 2

Yeah, I have always used small and 80hz for the 82ii's and 62ii. I will keep the center at 80hz because it only goes down to 57hz, but the 7ii's will be set at small and 60hz for sure. No reason to have two 15" subs and run my fronts in full range.

Edited by gadgtfreek

i was sold on amps too until i did a double blind test and couldn't tell the difference between my xpa-5 and a flagship onkyo. now low level avr? sure probably at high volumes. but 4520 should run the crap out of them rf-7ii's. runs my kpt stuff all day and that's 6 15's across the front stage.

I can hear my Marantz SR-7009 break up a little once I get to like -10 db on some intense material. I specifically remember it doing it the night you were over, I got up and turned it down.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

And see for me, watching blu-rays between -1.0 and +1.0 mostly, I know we are pushing. If anything, I like the idea of headroom.

Interstellar is a good example of something recently. Most scenes I am sure were not too bad, but the action scenes with the crazy organs going on, I'd image the peaks are pretty good in those scenes. Even worse if you were running 60 or 40hz ont he fronts.

I can hear my Marantz SR-7009 break up a little once I get to like -10 db on some intense material. I specifically remember it doing it the night you were over, I got up and turned it down.
i don't remember turning anything that loud that night except metallica. I need to make another trip down and stay longer.