Just ordered some RF7II's, a 64II, an amp/preamp and a sub!

gadgtfreek

i don't remember turning anything that loud that night except metallica.

Yeah Metallica started sounding a little strained. I've watched it so much I know what its supposed to sound like, I can hear my receiver start to get winded when its playing at that level, usually when full range really intense stuff is going on and I have the mains crossed over lower than what's normal for HT, like 40 hz.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I can hear my receiver start to get winded when its playing at that level, usually when full range really intense stuff is going on and I have the mains crossed over lower than what's normal for HT, like 40 hz.

Why change the XO when using subs?  Nothing to be gained but, decrease avr/amp headroom and increase modulation distortion.

I can hear my receiver start to get winded when its playing at that level, usually when full range really intense stuff is going on and I have the mains crossed over lower than what's normal for HT, like 40 hz.

Why change the XO when using subs?  Nothing to be gained but, decrease avr/amp headroom and increase modulation distortion.

It may be higher now as we dinked with it when scrappy was over, but personally I really enjoy the sound of RF-7ii's in full range, I feel that drums, bass guitars, gunshots, and low male voices sound more realistic than feeding this information through the subs, especially if said subs are 6 db or more hot. But yes, less headroom for sure. I typically leave everything on -20 db unless it is a weak mix so it usually isn't an issue.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I typically leave everything on -20 db

booooooring  :mellow:  :D

Tinniiiiiii-tus. :)

I was kind of surprised at your demo disc though, I felt it was pretty muted at -20. Some of the dialogue was a strain to understand it. Most anything else I put in is louder, on many things its really all I care for myself and the kids will usually complain if it is louder.

• Like 1

I really enjoy the sound of RF-7ii's in full range, I feel that drums, bass guitars, gunshots, and low male voices sound more realistic than feeding this information through the subs, especially if said subs are 6 db or more hot.

That is my experience also.  That is why I rarely anymore run the subs hot.  The hotter the subs, the more unbalance the mix.  I also just don't need to run them hot, there is plenty of ULF.  The sound mix stays balanced which is more pleasing for me.  I was playing around with them last week and tripped a breaker running them hot with some demo stuff.  Having the room go black is a little embarrassings, lol.

• Like 1

Here is my thing. A new speaker model, like and amp, is not necessarily guaranteed a good result with a "redesign". What I know for a fact is, I like my ref ii speakers, and the 7ii and 64ii have been raved about for years. I will buy them, discount or not, and move on. The premier "redesign" which may include new big boys may or may not be an "improvement". Once again, "improvement" with horns is in the eye of the beholder. Some would want them more mellow, some not. I am happy with the current sound.

In my eyes, once I have the 7ii and 64ii, along with what I already have, I hope to never buy speakers again, at least not for a long time.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Im praying Klipsch doesn't come out with a redesigned, slightly more modern looking or different selections of wood RF-7II. The only thing that would get me to get rid of my RF-7IIs are improved RF-7IIIs!

And I just cant make the jump to the Palladium series. As bad as Id like!

OP, Great decision on the 7's and 64 (future purchase) I pretty much have a similar setup as you. (minus dual subs which i want and will get soon). Emo makes great gear but as you pointed out, it's not really even close for price/performance ratio. The ATI 2005 is around $2600 so grabbing the same amp under the outlaw name is a no brainer at $1599. Despite what some may say, when you go to the 7's, they love power! There are some impedance dips that most AVR's can't handle (not saying yours can't) but the headroom is unbelievable. Trust me, I've been there and done that

• Like 1

OP, Great decision on the 7's and 64 (future purchase) I pretty much have a similar setup as you. (minus dual subs which i want and will get soon). Emo makes great gear but as you pointed out, it's not really even close for price/performance ratio. The ATI 2005 is around $2600 so grabbing the same amp under the outlaw name is a no brainer at $1599. Despite what some may say, when you go to the 7's, they love power! There are some impedance dips that most AVR's can't handle (not saying yours can't) but the headroom is unbelievable. Trust me, I've been there and done that

Great input, thanks. I missed a used 7700 Outlaw today on ebay ($1200) because I was travelling...