Just ordered some RF7II's, a 64II, an amp/preamp and a sub!

gadgtfreek

What I am saying is if I spent a bunch of coin to get a fully differential from input to output power amp and then a bunch more coin to get that differential output Marantz pre/pro I would be connecting it with some balanced cables. The XLR to XLR cables from Monoprice are good and inexpensive. And they're handsome too. Why throw away that CMR that you bought and paid for?

LOL. XLR's have nothing to do with the Marantz SQ enhancements over an AVR for my case, my RCA's are only a meter long.

Id be putting the aftermarket spoiler on the car because I think it makes it handle better, when it only makes it look better.

Edited by gadgtfreek

What I am saying is if I spent a bunch of coin to get a fully differential from input to output power amp and then a bunch more coin to get that differential output Marantz pre/pro I would be connecting it with some balanced cables

I would agree with this provided you get balanced XLR's that don't break the bank.

LOL. XLR's have nothing to do with the Marantz SQ enhancements over an AVR.

True, but a fully balanced rig from source to output will(should) yield better results and have a lower noise floor.  Since your Oppo is not balanced the results may not be noticeable.

Bill

It's just contrary to what Ive read. I haven't found anything that said "with proper voltage output", and a "1 or 2 meter RCA run", that balanced would matter (from preamp to amp).

Now I know some preamps have a lower SN ratio on balanced. I can look for that spec and see, and then maybe it would be justified.

Edited by gadgtfreek

If you already have rca's and the outlaw doesn't buzz I see no need to switch to xlr. I'm sure you didnt buy it for the balanced outputs anyways. I'm sure you bought it cause it was in your price range and its the latest Marantz pre pro. Xlr is just a bonus if you actually want to utilize it. I sure wouldn't buy extra cables if they weren't needed.

What I am saying is if I spent a bunch of coin to get a fully differential from input to output power amp and then a bunch more coin to get that differential output Marantz pre/pro I would be connecting it with some balanced cables. The XLR to XLR cables from Monoprice are good and inexpensive. And they're handsome too. Why throw away that CMR that you bought and paid

Sure, if its there, use it. My pre doesn't have XLR otherwise, I would use it because my outlaw has XLR. 

If you already have rca's and the outlaw doesn't buzz I see no need to switch to xlr. I'm sure you didnt buy it for the balanced outputs anyways. I'm sure you bought it cause it was in your price range and its the latest Marantz pre pro. Xlr is just a bonus if you actually want to utilize it. I sure wouldn't buy extra cables if they weren't needed.

That was kinda my take too.

When I re-routed everything Thursday, my speaker cables and RCA's do not come close to any power cables.

Edited by gadgtfreek

What's buzz got to do with it? The reason to use balanced lines is not just avoid ground loops. I understand from what you have been reading that the authors are probably saying something like "there is no need to go to the extra expense to get equipment with balanced lines if your cable lengths are less than 10 feet' or something like that. But YOU have already gone and spent the extra money for equipment with balanced I/O. Why not go the last step? 7 of these cables from Monoprice will set you back a whole $42.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4750&seq=1&format=2

I still don't see the point. using something I do not need, because it is there, is wasteful. Even if it is $42 wasteful. Balanced inputs had zero bearing on the purchases. I wanted a good amp, and a nice preamp (not an avr) that had XT32. I already have very nice RCA's, with a run of less than a meter. There are no ground loop issues or noise either.

Also, my current situation of needed to put an attenuator on the center channel RCA would be made worse on ALL channels if I went to XLR because of the gain increase. That would not be very smart on my part.

I want the same pre as you for x32 etc. If and when I get it, I will most certainly go with XLR because I want to try it out. . . and it's there. You could order the $42 XLR and if you don't like them, send them back. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

I want the same pre as you for x32 etc. If and when I get it, I will most certainly go with XLR because I want to try it out. . . and it's there. You could order the $42 XLR and if you don't like them, send them back. Just a thought. 

To be honest, I would do them simply for the connector stability. I really like them. I just have to figure out this speaker level issue first. If I can correct it with the attenuator, I may order the XLR's for the hell of it to see what happens. Never know until you try. I also will talk to outlaw tech support next week and see what they think. The bad thing is I have had a lot of problems in this whole upgrade, the good thing is, I am learning a lot more.

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 1