Just ordered some RF7II's, a 64II, an amp/preamp and a sub!

gadgtfreek

Well, got the XLR cables in and ran XT32 again. Center was still -12, fronts now became -11 and -11.5 (XLR connection made things 2db hotter).

So after everything was said and done, I level matched.

LF was -11 (made it -9)

C was -12 (77db at that setting)

RF was -11.5 (made it -9.5)

All were then 75db as they should be, with -2.0db volume setting. So, i boosted my subs from -6 to -4, and I noted my new "reference" volume as -2.0 and not 0.0.

Also got this up

IMG_0968_zpsu4juzles.jpg

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 1

Yeah, any Audyssey unit "reference" theater volume will be 0.0db on the volume setting. Since my center is 2 db hot, and I had to make the fronts and center match, it changes my actually reference volume to -2.0, I can still listen at 0.0 if I want, but technically I would be 2db over reference since my speakers are all set to 77db's, not 75db's as they should be. The audyssey test tone is a -30db signal (down from the 105db reference number), and then Audyssey runs the sub channel +10db hot to allow for that 115db peak on the LFE.

Ill be curious to see how the 64II finishes audyssey and how it's trim level ends up compared to the 62II.

I'll say one thing about the XLR connections and cables, they are sturdy as hell, more flexible than my RCA's were, and hearing that lock "click" is pretty reassuring you have an great connection, especially since some RCA inputs are lose and others are tight.

My opinion would now be changed to, even though there is no SQ improvement to be had, the locking connection is well worth it and the Belden 1800 from BJC is highly flexible.

Edited by gadgtfreek

I get the whole "no SQ difference" thing, but after ponying up and buying some nice XLR's, it makes you wonder why more stuff in AV isn't "locking" AND flexible.

Do I understand correctly that the way the wires are laid out in a XLR, they are immune are almost immune to interference from other sources?

• Like 1

I actually installed two of them inside my walls, backwards.

Hey, I am capable of that too!  The only reason I havent done it yet cuz I dont know wth yall are talking about. an HDMI cable?

Yeah it's a one-way HDMI cable.  I had never heard of such and didn't bother to read the directions.  Before then I never would have dreamed you needed to read the directions on an HDMI cable.  

Holy Bat poop Batman. I had no idea they even existed. Man, I hope reversing them cables isnt too bad on ya. WTH, now we have 1 way HDMI cables????? What in the world are these good for? Maybe the drywall manufacturers invented this cable??? LOL.

As for reference level and whatnot, I hurt my ears the other day listening to -10 db.  I'm done with that crap.  Yeah my ears are notoriously sensitive due to a rifle injury but it is mostly my left ear.  I also hurt my right one the other day though.  I finished the custom center then ran audessey and demo'ed the exciting scenes in Transformers at -10 db.  I haven't been able to hear all week, probably did permanent damage.  I just don't know if there is something weird going on with that center, or if Audessey was off on the volume calculation, or maybe the receiver was introducing some distortion which is known to hurt ears more than without, or what the deal is.  I did move my subs out a little which made some frequencies come alive but typically bass does not bother me, it is the highs.  Anyway, I'm done, I don't care for anything that loud at this point, its not worth it.  All I can say is you guys need to be careful playing with that kind of volume.  Reference level is not natural and it should not take that kind of power to let you enjoy a movie.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

As for reference level and whatnot, I hurt my ears the other day listening to -10 db.  I'm done with that crap.  Yeah my ears are notoriously sensitive due to a rifle injury but it is mostly my left ear.  I also hurt my right one the other day though.  I finished the custom center then ran audessey and demo'ed the exciting scenes in Transformers at -10 db.  I haven't been able to hear all week, probably did permanent damage.  I just don't know if there is something weird going on with that center, or if Audessey was off on the volume calculation, or maybe the receiver was introducing some distortion which is known to hurt ears more than without, or what the deal is.  I did move my subs out a little which made some frequencies come alive but typically bass does not bother me, it is the highs.  Anyway, I'm done, I don't care for anything that loud at this point, its not worth it.  All I can say is you guys need to be careful playing with that kind of volume.  Reference level is not natural and it should not take that kind of power to let you enjoy a movie.  

If your system is setup correctly I believe the culprit is your rifle injury. That said, THX Reference volume is loud and if you have room distortion, incapable speakers (or power supply) or a bad recording I can see where it can hurt your ears--I've had that situation after listening to a few setups but never my own--If it sounds bad at Reference level I turn it down--Most movies are still at around -5 to -3 on the MV. Multichannel Music is always loud. B)

Edited by tkdamerica
  • Like 1