Klipsch KSP 300 Questions

ka7niq

I have literally been searching for a pair of the Klipsch KSP 300's for many years, based upon the suggestions of several fellow Klipsch fans. 

A guy here has the complete set of the KSP 300's, with the KSP C 5 for the center and the KSF S5 surrounds he was selling, because he has bought a new Klipsch Home Theater System, with Klipschorn fronts, and a single Cornwall, for his center.

I have sent him the Money via PayPal already. I don't usually buy a pair of speakers w/o hearing them first, but KSP 300's are not easy to find.  They weight 80 pounds, and people seldom keep boxes for 15 + years, so shipping and packing would eat me alive!

These are only a few hours away from me, so all that remains is to go get them in my truck.

Of course, I am quite excited :) 

Because I have 7.1 electronics, I will need to locate an additional pair of KSF S5 surrounds of course.

Has anyone ever heard these speakers ? They seem to have an almost "cult like" following among many of my Klipsch audio friends, who swear by them.

Is the tweeter a true compression driver, or a conventional dome tweeter, with a horn on it ?

Are the drivers foam or rubber surrounds, and if it should require new drivers, are any still for sale at Klipsch ?

How about the subwoofer amps, were they reliable, and if it should ever need a new subwoofer amp, are any still around ?

The guy I have bought these KSP 300's from is the original owner, He absolutely loved this system.

He told me that over the time he has owned them, he had considered updating his system with newer Klipsch Home Theater speakers several times, but felt he needed to go all the way to Klipschorns, for a real, across the board improvement.

I've owned several pairs of KSP-300's for over 10 years. I use them for surrounds with KSP-400's and a C6 center speaker. The surrounds are rubber. Check E-Blay occasionally for another pair of surrounds. They pop up from time to time. Here is info from this site regarding the tweeter:

TWEETER: K-97-KV 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 6" square 90(o)x60(o) Tractrix® Horn

Go to the E-Boy home page and search klipsch ksp' and you should see an ad for rebuilt amps/with exchange for $125 plus shipping.

I doubt Klipsch has any parts for these speakers but it doesn't hurt to check.

Hope you enjoy your new speakers.

Keith

• Like 1

I've owned several pairs of KSP-300's for over 10 years. I use them for surrounds with KSP-400's and a C6 center speaker. The surrounds are rubber. Check E-Blay occasionally for another pair of surrounds. They pop up from time to time. Here is info from this site regarding the tweeter:

TWEETER: K-97-KV 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 6" square 90(o)x60(o) Tractrix® Horn

Go to the E-Boy home page and search klipsch ksp' and you should see an ad for rebuilt amps/with exchange for $125 plus shipping.

I doubt Klipsch has any parts for these speakers but it doesn't hurt to check.

Hope you enjoy your new speakers.

Keith

Thanks so very much Keith, for the information. 

So, there is a real compression driver being used as the KSP 300's tweeter, vs just a  conventional non compression dome tweeter, with a waveguide slapped on it :) 

The KSP 400 is different from the KSP 300. It has an additiional midrange driver, and a larger woofer. 

I BET your system really Rocks :) 

At this moment, I just have Infinity Interlude IL 50 for the fronts, and the larger IL 36 3 way centers. The IL 50's have 10 inch subwoofers, with 250 watts on them.

They sound OK, but are only 87 db efficient, so I miss the dynamics. Plus, I am in the far field with Tile floors, and a large sliding glass door :( 

Clarity could be much better in my present system, and I am sure the throw and pattern control of a Horn will be most welcome here.

Of course, the extra cone area of the 12 inch KSP 300 subwoofers, vs the 10 inch woofers in the Infinity will also be most welcome too!

My current surrounds are the Infinity Quadrapole's. They are basically 6 small full range drivers per speaker, radiating hemispherically. Because they are small, efficiency is quite low, and they are also not capable of any real detail.

AS a whole, my present system is very "polite" sounding. No jump factor, and I can barely hear the surrounds, w/o using an external amp on them :(

One has to wonder WHY Klipsch sort of GAVE the powered speaker tower market to their competitors :( 

Sort of like the way General Motors decided to quit making Camaro's, and gave the muscle car market to the Ford Mustang.

Please correct me, if I am wrong, but the KSP 300 and KSP 400 were the only powered tower  speakers Klipsch ever made, with built in powered subwoofers.

The very things Klipsch stands for, high efficiency, low distortion, and pattern control, are ideal for home theater. 

One has to wonder WHY Klipsch sort of GAVE the powered speaker tower market to their competitors :(

Sort of like the way General Motors decided to quit making Camaro's, and gave the muscle car market to the Ford Mustang.

Please correct me, if I am wrong, but the KSP 300 and KSP 400 were the only powered tower  speakers Klipsch ever made, with built in powered subwoofers.

The very things Klipsch stands for, high efficiency, low distortion, and pattern control, are ideal for home theater. 

the built in powered subwoofers.are not the best here for the KSP 300 - and the KSP 400 is the real gem of the series - if you like the KSP 300 - the 400 would be astounding in comparison

• Like 1

the built in powered subwoofers.are not the best here for the KSP 300 - and the KSP 400 is the real gem of the series - if you like the KSP 300 - the 400 would be astounding in comparison

Do you have the 300's or the 400's Randy?

Keith

Locally, it is nearly impossible to find a KSP 300, much less a KSP 400

But subwoofers are the Least of my "worries".

In my corners, I have a pair of homebrew subwoofers, that look much like the bottoms of Klipschorns.

Each enclosure has a 4 ohm 15 inch Cadence Wild Beast driver in it, with ungodly XMax :)

I have a pretty powerful pro sound amp (800 WPC into 4 ohms) driving these monsters.

The drivers I used were once pretty common in car stereo SPL competition. They are 92 db efficient, and go down flat to an honest 25 hz. The box tuning is using what is called an EBS Alignment, so they are not boomy, mounted in the corners.

I once owned a pair of SVS Ultra Cylinders. Awesome subwoofers. I wanted to see IF I could beat the pair of SVS Ultra's.  My home made subwoofers do not blow the SVS Ultra's away, but they are a little better. 

I am going to pick these KSP 300's up over in Orlando (I am near Tampa) early tomorrow morning!!!!!!

I have an uncovered pick up truck, and must fear the Rain.

The rains this time of year are almost always in the afternoon, so hopefully, I will be back home by noon tomorrow, with my speakers.

The guy also has 200 Movies (DVD's) I am buying from him for an awesome deal! 

In my corners, I have a pair of homebrew subwoofers, that look much like the bottoms of Klipschorns.

Each enclosure has a 4 ohm 15 inch Cadence Wild Beast driver in it, with ungodly XMax :)

I have a pretty powerful pro sound amp (800 WPC into 4 ohms) driving these monsters.

The drivers I used were once pretty common in car stereo SPL competition. They are 92 db efficient, and go down flat to an honest 25 hz. The box tuning is using what is called an EBS Alignment, so they are not boomy, mounted in the corners.

I once owned a pair of SVS Ultra Cylinders. Awesome subwoofers. I wanted to see IF I could beat the pair of SVS Ultra's.  My home made subwoofers do not blow the SVS Ultra's away, but they are a little better. 

I am going to pick these KSP 300's up over in Orlando (I am near Tampa) early tomorrow morning!!!!!!

The rains this time of year are almost always in the afternoon, so hopefully, I will be back home by noon tomorrow, with my speakers.

- the deal sounds great -   Bring a tarp or 2 and tie them  around in case it rains - these are beautiful cabs that dont like water -

• Like 1

here is a video showing  A combination of KSP 400 and 300 -

Randy, that is an AWESOME System Brother :) 

Maybe someday, I will find a KSP 400 locally ?

Until then, the KSP 300's will have to do.  

The cabinets on your speakers are beautiful, mine are just basic Black. 

- the deal sounds great -   Bring a tarp or 2 and tie them  around in case it rains - these are beautiful cabs that dont like water -

U Bet they will be tarped and tied! 

here is a video showing  A combination of KSP 400 and 300 -

Randy, that is an AWESOME System Brother :)

Maybe someday, I will find a KSP 400 locally ?

Until then, the KSP 300's will have to do.  

The cabinets on your speakers are beautiful, mine are just basic Black. 

great find here , watch out for 400's , they really would make the ultimate 7.1 with your setup

• Like 1

Use large black plastic garbage bags to wrap the speakers in first, before anything. The slick surface will help protect the finish of the speakers. Wrap them up and tape outside of bags, masking tape will work. Use something soft in the bed of the truck, I used old outdoor furniture cushions. Wrap them in tarps and they'll be fine. I hauled 5 KSP-300's like this is my truck 175 miles, half of that in a rainstorm. Nothing got wet.

Keith

• Like 1

Use large black plastic garbage bags to wrap the speakers in first, before anything. The slick surface will help protect the finish of the speakers. Wrap them up and tape outside of bags, masking tape will work. Use something soft in the bed of the truck, I used old outdoor furniture cushions. Wrap them in tarps and they'll be fine. I hauled 5 KSP-300's like this is my truck 175 miles, half of that in a rainstorm. Nothing got wet.

Keith

that sounds just right

• Like 1

I had 7 KSP-300's, a pair of KSP-400's, several pair of KSP-S6's and a KSP-C6. Speakers are room dependent of course but 7.1 in my room was overkill. I used the 5.1 speakers mentioned earlier and sold the rest.

Set the switch on the back to 'auto'. Plug them in and make sure they go into auto mode after they receive a signal. Then after you finish listening the speakers should go back into standby 10-15 minutes after they no longer sense a signal.

Make sure you get spikes and spike caps, they're no longer available and hard to find. GL

Keith

• Like 1

Keith

that sounds just right

Keith

Thanks Guys! I plan to use an old Comforter and pillows for a soft truck bed, and some large plastic leaf bags, with masking tape.

T2K and Randy, here are the speakers I bought. He has not pulled the ad yet, since he has other stuff for sale http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/4958388361.html

Quite the deal, I must say :) 

I did not need the subwoofer, so it will be staying until he sells it. The seller is a quality guy, who lives in a gated community, an audiophile, just like us.

I bought all 200 of those DVD's too!

T2K and Randy, here are the speakers I bought. He has not pulled the ad yet, since he has other stuff for sale http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/4958388361.html

Quite the deal, I must say :)

I did not need the subwoofer, so it will be staying until he sells it. The seller is a quality guy, who lives in a gated community, an audiophile, just like us.

I bought all 200 of those DVD's too!

awesome deal - at least , you know that the speakers will be in great shape - I like the 200 dvd's for 100$ - the jewel cases cost more than a $ each-  out here in NY , you would pay 2x for this - take care -

• Like 1