Rotel RC 1070 vs Harman Kardon HK3490 Comparison

Youthman

Does either the H or the LH give you back the brightness you like?

I, too, always turned up the treble just a bit to make the reproduction sound more like the live orchestras I played in.  When I got Audyssey, it did that for me, and probably more accurately than I could, so now I'm happy playing the treble flat, most of the time.

Harman has made some models in the 90's such as the Signature 2.0s that sound really good.  Something else to consider are some of the large HT receivers they produced in the early 00's.  AVR-7000, AVR-7200 and AVR-7300.  I owned the 7300 for 4 or 5 years and it was the best sounding receiver I've owned and I've owned Denon 4800 and 5800, Yamaha RX-V1 and RX-Z1.  I

• Moderators

Jposey, a local forum member is letting me borrow an HK Signature 2.0 to see how it compares to my HK3490. I really like the sound of the 3490, just wondered if since I'm using an external amp if a preamp would offer any sonic benefit. He's 45 min away...just need to find time to get over there to pick it up.

I've been following this thread with great interest. I was anxious to see how the "Rotel vs HK" throw down shook out.

Not surprised at the result though. All of the Rotel Kit I ever owned I found to be very dry and clinical for lack of a better term. Not "bad" but just kind of BLAH. The HK kit I've owned in the past had a much warmer sound. My brother described it as "organic". I'm not sure how he arrived at that term but I think he might have nailed it.

On an unrelated subject... I get a big kick out of seeing your avatar with 3 La Scalas in your HT. I like to think that it was a visit to my house that sparked your quest the culminated in a La Scala HT.

You're welcome! To you're lovely wife... My apologies. :) 

• Like 1

• Moderators

What I'm finding is that all of our ears hear differently and we each have our preferences on what sounds "good" to us.  Sometimes I wonder if I have some loss of hearing and that's why I prefer a brighter sound.  What I consider "bright" might actually be considered "warm"....I'm not sure.  I just know for music, I have come full circle on two separate occassions and always come back to HK.  Guess I should stick with what my ears prefer.  I'm hoping to pick up the HK Signature 2.0 to see if there is any sonic benefit from going from a current HK receiver to an older HK Preamp.  Honestly....I'm not sure it will make a difference.  Maybe I'll be surprised.

Jeff, yours were the only LaScalas I have ever heard.  I absolutely loved the sound of them when I demoed them at your house.  I could not believe how loud and crystal clear they were with such richness in the midrange.  The ONLY thing that kept me from them for so long was they were "old school" looking and back then....I was a young guy.  Fast forward a few years and I'll hit 40 in September so I guess now that I'm not a young hipster anymore, the LaScalas grew on me.  :lol:

If you ever get over to Plant City, let me know.  I would be more than happy to return the hospitality and let you hear the LaScala Trio.

• Like 1