Any Frank Sinatra fans here ?

Karsoncookie

I have never listened to Frank much, nor do I have any recordings.

But recent years when I hear a snippet of him here or there, I like it. A lot.

Possibly, probably favorite "Fly me to the Moon".

Love the smooooothness and Big Band horns.

Really funny, cause as a kid I thought my Parents listening to the Laurence Welk show really giggled me.

Can anybody recommend what I should buy if I want to get 2 or 3 currently available CD's to handle a basic Sinatra Jones?       Thank you ,   Lars

• Like 3

Also enjoy some Micheal Buble, Andre Bocelli, Josh Groban  stuff.  

Interesting, cause I usually have a leaning toward female vocalists, Black "soul" ballads and mostly Black artist 60's groups.

IMHO' the human voice, mostly Black, mostly female. is the Finest instrument.      Lars

• Like 3

You can get a nice taste of Sinatra for about $10.00. The Jazz Label; " Real Gone " has two different sets right now with more in the works. Vol1 consists of 8 records on 4 Cd's and deals with his earlier stuff from about 1957 to 1960. Great Big Band recordings with arrangers like May and Riddle and some mighty fine musicians to boot. Vol2 consists of 9 records on 4 Cd's and not only features great musicians and arrangers but many say this period; 1961 thru 1962 is when Sinatra was at his peak.. voice wise.

Were talking roughly $20.00 plus shipping for 17 classic Sinatra recordings.

• Like 1

I was never able to listen to him much, despite my musical upbringing.  My grandfather was on a plane with him once and said he behaved like an ***.  So he was never played in our households.  Maybe they had words even, I don't know.   All I know is that my family never owned nor played any Sinatra lps.

Interesting, cause I usually have a leaning toward female vocalists, Black "soul" ballads and mostly Black artist 60's groups.

IMHO' the human voice, mostly Black, mostly female. is the Finest instrument.    

Diana Krall ??????

• Like 1

If you like Sinatra find his live recordings with the Basie band. Great stuff!

One of my favorite recordings is Sinatra Live at the Sands with the Count Basie Orchestra and Quincy Jones arranging.  Karsoncookie; if you'd like to give it a listening to without shelling out the money just in case you end up not liking it , you can listen to it in its entirety on Grooveshark or Spotify. Its a stellar classic recording and sounds wonderful through the Klipsch.

IMHO' the human voice, mostly Black, mostly female. is the Finest instrument.      Lars

Frank is cool, I have some of his old recordings.  A nice black soul vocalist is Heather Headley.  I first heard her this past month a immediately brought three of her albums.  Jazz, rock, pop, R&B, and anything else I favor female singers.

I have never listened to Frank much, nor do I have any recordings.

But recent years when I hear a snippet of him here or there, I like it. A lot.

Possibly, probably favorite "Fly me to the Moon".

Love the smooooothness and Big Band horns.

Really funny, cause as a kid I thought my Parents listening to the Laurence Welk show really giggled me.

Can anybody recommend what I should buy if I want to get 2 or 3 currently available CD's to handle a basic Sinatra Jones?       Thank you ,   Lars

Boy are you in for a treat if you like Frank and you think he is smooth just listen to some Mel Torme affectionately known as "The Velvet Fog"

Edited by moray james
  • Like 2

There are two Franks. The early years (before 1950, the year he had a serious throat hemorrhage) and the later years. Watch some Youtube videos and you'll see what I mean. His voice was especially golden before about 1946.

We spin "Frank Sinatra Reprise" around here on a pretty regular basis but I really like some of those earlier recordings.

Check this out to get a taste of 1940s Frank.

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 1

Can anybody recommend what I should buy if I want to get 2 or 3 currently available CDs to handle a basic Sinatra Jones?

I'm not really a fan of Sinatra but I'm amazed by some of the recordings, which were really mastered well.  I suppose I'd recommend Come Dance With Me for its production quality and its overall enjoyability.  That album is historic in that it was one of those that revitalized his career.  It's also early enough in time that you're listening to his best voice, but you're still listening to stereo--not mono.  I didn't have to correct the tracks much using Audacity, mostly to restore the mid-bass which is rolled off in most tracks. 

Here are the DR Database results of the restored tracks for the linked CD, and Audacity equalization curves for the first few tracks to restore them, attached at the bottom of this posting:

foobar2000 1.3.3 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2015-04-11 05:32:25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Frank Sinatra / Come Dance With Me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track

DR13      -0.30 dB   -17.41 dB      2:31 01-Come Dance With Me -Frank Sinatra

DR12      -0.30 dB   -15.92 dB      2:39 02-Something's Gotta Give -Frank Sinatra

DR13      -0.30 dB   -16.57 dB      2:24 03-Just In Time -Frank Sinatra

DR16      -0.30 dB   -18.41 dB      2:26 04-Dancing In The Dark -Frank Sinatra

DR14      -0.30 dB   -18.23 dB      2:34 05-Too Close For Comfort -Frank Sinatra

DR14      -0.30 dB   -21.86 dB      2:41 06-I Could Have Danced All Night -Frank Sinatra

DR14      -0.30 dB   -19.01 dB      1:55 07-Saturday Night (Is The Loneliest Night Of The Week) -Frank Sinatra

DR15      -0.30 dB   -18.92 dB      3:25 08-Day In - Day Out -Frank Sinatra

DR16      -0.30 dB   -21.33 dB      3:06 09-Cheek To Cheek -Frank Sinatra

DR15      -0.30 dB   -20.23 dB      2:46 10-Baubles, Bangles And Beads -Frank Sinatra

DR12      -0.30 dB   -15.79 dB      2:43 11-The Song Is You -Frank Sinatra

DR11      -0.30 dB   -20.92 dB      2:12 12-The Last Dance -Frank Sinatra

DR14      -0.30 dB   -18.31 dB      2:06 13-It All Depends On You -Frank Sinatra

DR12      -0.30 dB   -15.60 dB      2:32 14-Nothing In Common -Frank Sinatra

DR14      -0.30 dB   -16.63 dB      2:53 15-Same Old Song And Dance -Frank Sinatra

DR11      -0.30 dB   -14.64 dB      2:25 16-How Are Ya' Fixed For Love? -Frank Sinatra

Number of tracks:  16

Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate:        44100 Hz

Channels:          2

Bits per sample:   16

Bitrate:           779 kbps

Codec:             FLAC

================================================================================

The above reference to Sinatra at the Sands is also very dynamic but also noisier, and his voice is just beginning to show the effects of hard living.

The Reprise: The Very Good Years CD is a little squashed and a little rolled off at the ends of the frequency spectrum, but it covers most of his most famous numbers.  It's less enjoyable than the above two discs but still worth the time, IMHO.  The disc really shows the degradation of his voice over time: it gets much harder to listen to the recordings originally made after 1974.

Chris

Come Dance With Me - Frank Sinatra.XML

Somethings Gotta Give - Frank Sinatra.XML

Just in Time - Frank Sinatra.XML

Dancing in the Dark - Frank Sinatra.XML

Too Close For Comfort - Frank Sinatra.XML

I Could Have Danced All Night - Frank Sinatra.XML

Saturday Night (Is the Loneliest Night of the Week) - Frank Sinatra.XML

Edited by Chris A

There is only one Sinatra. He had some fine contemporaries such as Tony Bennett, but only one Frank. Voice quality, timing, phrasing, orchestration, interpretation. The list goes on. I have  a pretty decent collection of Sinatra, mostly in vinyl. He covered many musical tastes from ballads to jazzier stuff and it's hard to recommend without knowing your preferences. Maybe get a compilation of hits. Should be easy to find on ebay or amazon. THEN (assuming you like it) start looking for some mint or near mint vinyl on places like Audiogon. Something like the album 'In the Wee Small Hours' or an album with one of the conductors mentioned or Gordon Jenkins would be great.

Best of luck and happy listening.

• Like 2