K55 Atlas 1981 VS Altec 288C

HI GUYS I AM USING A 1981 ATLAS K55 WITH ALTEC 805b MULTICELL HORNS. BEYMA  CP25 SUPER TWEETER CRITES A/4500 X OVERS.... ON LA SCALAS . THROUGH MY SYSTEM I MUST SAY IT SOUND WELL DAM GOOD OR SHOULD I SAY FANTASTIC. JUST WONDERING IF I WOULD GET A BETTER SOUND WITH A ALTEC 288C VS THE K55. THE 1981 ALTLAS K55 IS VERY SMOOTH GREAT DETAIL TIMBRE. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS???

I am trying to understand your current set up and my memory is also acting up. IIRC, the K55 is probably a 1 inch throated driver. The Altec 805 is probably a 1.4 inch throated horn. Am I correct so far? If so, you must be using an adapter.

What is the crossover point for the 805 horn and how steep are you crossing?

What is the history on the 288 driver? Any chance it will need a new diaphragm or will it need to re-magnitized? They are older drivers and if they were used in PA or if they were moved around much, they may need some work. Otherwise the 288 can be a very good driver. There may also be issues about relative sensitivity of the two drivers (and their impedances), so the crossover may need to be re-worked.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG FOR ME TO GET BACK TO YOU. YES YOU ARE CORRECT..... X OVER AT 500 USING CRITES A/4500 X OVERS. I DO NOT HAVE THE ALTCC 288 YET. I WANT TO KNOW IF THEY WILL SOUND BETTER THAN MY 81 ATLAS K55 IT IS THE BEST K55 EVER MADE.

As like Tom not sure how the 805 is throated.  If crossed at 500hz the 902 is very sweet in the upper mids.

The 805B will have a 30162 throat adaptor that takes the 1.4" drivers.

A 288C is about 1.7dB less efficient than the newer Altec (with the larger Alnico magnets), and is best purchased dead (and then rebuilt).

Will it sound better (than a K55V w/lugs) ?

Yes.

But it will be expensive.

"My next task will be trying to find a nice pair of 288c"

Bring a big pile of cash.

Even dead ones are going for $200~$400 each.

I could build you a pair of 288G with new diaphragms for less money, and it's a much better driver.