making a "copper and black"

Paducah Home Theater

Legal requirements[edit]

Bourbon's legal definition varies somewhat from country to country, but many trade agreements require the name bourbon to be reserved for products made in the United States. The U.S. regulations for labeling and advertising bourbon apply only to products made for consumption within the United States; they do not apply to distilled spirits made for export.[16] Canadian law requires products labeled bourbon to be made in the United States and also to conform to the requirements that apply within the United States. But in countries other than the United States and Canada, products labeled bourbon may not adhere to the same standards. For example, in the European Union, products labeled as bourbon are not required to conform to all of the regulations that apply within the United States, though they still must be made in the U.S.

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[16] must be:

Bourbon has no minimum specified duration for its aging period.[19] Products aged for as little as three months are sold as bourbon.[20] The exception is straight bourbon, which has a minimum aging requirement of two years. In addition, any bourbon aged less than four years must state the age of the spirit on the bottle.[21]

Bourbon that meets the above requirements, has been aged for a minimum of two years, and does not have added coloring, flavoring, or other spirits may (but is not required to) be called straight bourbon.[22]

• Bourbon that is labeled as straight that has been aged under four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.[23]
  • Bourbon that has an age stated on its label must be labeled with the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle (not counting the age of any added neutral grain spirits in a bourbon that is labeled as blended, as neutral-grain spirits are not considered whiskey under the regulations and are not required to be aged at all).[24]

Bourbon that is labeled blended (or as a blend) may contain added coloring, flavoring, and other spirits (such as un-aged neutral grain spirits); but at least 51% of the product must be straight bourbon.[25][26

From Wikipedia of course.  I know Kentucky gets it collective panties in a wad over the name but legally there you have it.  I've heard many say sour mash isn't bourbon yet bourbon makers themselves will tell you it is just one way of making the stuff.  Now if one want's to call a beverage "Kentucky Bourbon" then I suppose it had better be made in Kentucky.

• Like 1

Now they need the 'Klipsch Heritage'. It should be based on an 'Old Fashioned'. Perhaps they could use the Rock Town Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey as the spirit. If they want to keep it traditional, they could use the 'Rock Town Rye Whiskey', also made in Arkansas. It could be sweetened with 'Arkansas Honey'.

• Like 3

great drink - lousy bartender - he uses the same ounce cup for all liquids , and doesnt rinse it -nasty -

For the same drink, what does it matter? 

It doesn't matter....I'm going to try it this weekend...we're having an impromptu neighbor gathering, and this drink sounds like fun....

Bourbon... Kentucky gets it collective panties in a wad over the name

You got that right.

There seems to be a big boom in moonshine around here, maybe everywhere. I drive one way:

http://www.hillbillystills.com/

I drive the other way:

http://www.paducahdistilledspirits.com/

Maybe Klipsch should have adopted moonshine as the official drink... copper and all.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• 2 weeks later...