Additional wooferage

derrickdj1

Good old spackling took care of the seems and the orbital sander came in handy to get a professional looking finish.  Tomorrow primer in the AM and then start the finish later in the day hopefully.

Edited by derrickdj1

The subs would have been ready today but, after 10 hours of drying I set them on newspaper.  Yes, some paper stuck to the bottom, lol.  I had to sand that area and repaint the bottom today.  I may let these dry a good 3 or 4 days before stacking the subs.  Pic's tomorrow?

I ordered these 6-prong T nuts

Have you started the build?  I am have 3 sides done and the baffle holes drilled.  Letting the glued pieces dry at this point.  I have not decided if I want to use polyfil or insulation material.  It would have been nice to get directions in the kit, he, he.

No, I have not started.  I'm sure I won't get to it until next week at the earliest, but all my parts are here.

Was your question regarding what you quoted, about my having the T-nuts?  I ordered a package of 50 and I'll only need a few.  Do you want me to send you some?  I can get those out to you before I leave for vacation on Wed.

• Like 1

No, I have not started. I'm sure I won't get to it until next week at the earliest, but all my parts are here.

The pieces from the kit fit pretty well.  I used the sander to help make everything even and some woof filler and spackling on some of the seams.  The spackling is easier to work with.

Drivers wired to 4 ohms each box.  Then the two boxes wired in parallel to get a final 4 ohm load for the I Nuke 3000 DSP amp.  I will also wire the two vented subs in Parallel to free up another amp to have for the shakers.  The news seem to work fine when test with head bass music and some Real Traps test tones.  I have two more 1/2 space locations to try but, not today.  Enough heavy lifting, lol.  I will loose some higher spl since the corner location reinforces the upper sub bandwidth.  I may just run them as an LS 12 shelf filter.  More experimentation before the final settings and location. You have to love the I Nukes DSP controls.

Edited by derrickdj1

Drivers wired to 4 ohms each box.  Then the two boxes wired in parallel to get a final 4 ohm load for the I Nuke 3000 DSP amp.

Wiring two 4 ohm loads in parallel gives you a 2 ohm load.  If you're just running it in stereo with 4 ohms per side that's not really wiring in parallel.  If you really did wire them in parallel and bridged the amp, your amp is seeing a 1 ohm load right now due to bridging into 2 = bad mojo.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Wiring two 4 ohm loads in parallel gives you a 2 ohm load

Good catch Metro!  For now I will wire the boxes in series to get an 8 ohm load.  I will get them on an I Nuke 6000 DSP amp that way each driver will have it's own channel at 4 ohms.  That will be how the other sealed dual cabs are configured. 

• Like 1

Guess I just don't have the same problem. I have gobs of output down to 8.

How about two sealed ultimax right behind your couch. I've got a buddy who runs 6 up front and two nearfield firing right into his main two seats. One of the coolest sub setups I've ever experienced.

What would be the difference/benefit of doing this over a good set of tactile traducers?

Almost finished, a t-nut dropped in the box putting the driver in the sub.  Next to the last bolt.  A dab of paint in a couple of spot and then I can call it done.  Pic's of the new Copper Cubes!

So derrick instead of a black cabinet with copper speaks(like a set of black  RF7 IIs) you built copper cabinets with black speaks? :D Cool.

• Like 1

How about two sealed ultimax right behind your couch. I've got a buddy who runs 6 up front and two nearfield firing right into his main two seats. One of the coolest sub setups I've ever experienced.

What would be the difference/benefit of doing this over a good set of tactile traducers?

Transducers are great for tactile feel.  The subs help with room pressurization and air movement.  Add them together and you get a dynamite experience.  Transducer are a more cost effective step if you don't have room for a lot of subs.  They will do what 3 or 4 more subs would do in the tactile department.  They also work great for lower volume listening.

So derrick instead of a black cabinet with copper speaks(like a set of black RF7 IIs) you built copper cabinets with black speaks? :D Cool.

I have enough black boxes.  These are the only non-black speakers except for the Fortes.  Any more black boxes the NTSB may look in my house the next time they can't recover a black box, lol.

i have yet to experience a set of transducers that are PERFECTLY dialed in. And if anyone on here thinks theirs are dialed in as well as subs I highly suggest placing subs close to your couch and dialing them in. Tactile transducers are fun. But they just can't compare to

A couple nearfield subs. Your just blending subs. Vs blending a shaking machine to feel Ike bass. Make sense?

I've tried those same exact 18's behind my seat and in terms of actually feeling it, they couldn't come close to comparing to the R-115SW, which was like a full body massage.  That's one of the things I really liked about them but I don't think it is exclusive to these models, they were just ported and tuned low.  Ported seems to be the way to go if that's what you want.  Perhaps it was room acoustics but if that was the case it should have felt the same way on the two sealed ultimax's with way more power but it did not.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I've tried those same exact 18's behind my seat and in terms of actually feeling it, they couldn't come close to comparing to the R-115SW, which was like a full body massage. That's one of the things I really liked about them but I don't think it is exclusive to these models, they were just ported and tuned low. Ported seems to be the way to go if that's what you want. Perhaps it was room acoustics but if that was the case it should have felt the same way on the two sealed ultimax's with way more power but it did not.

i know you hate hearing this but either room or setup has something to do with it. When I buy some stuff from you and you come my way I'll get you a demo of said theater with dual ulti's behind and it will blow your mind.