What is your % of RF-7II use (HT vs 2 Channel Music)

gadgtfreek

What do you use your RF-7 II's for?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Home Theater/Multi channel Music % of Use

2. 2. 2 Channel Music % of Use

I wish my Rf7iis sounded better for 2 channel music

This doesnt sound right. If you are using AVR, then check the settings and make sure you are in direct (or pure direct) and those 7ii should come alive in 2 channel or 2.1. No way should they sound hollow, or missing. 

I wish my Rf7iis sounded better for 2 channel music :( they sound hollow and not very detailed at all. During movies it's insanely good. But listening to 2 channel music makes me sad. I'm running a fiber optic from my pc which is playing lossless tracks to my pioneer elite vsx92txh straight to the towers.

Been thinking about getting a different set of speakers better suited for music and an integrated amp :/

Just a thought.  Maybe a good quality DAC between your PC and your Pioneer AVR is in order.  I am sure the 92txh has decent DACs for an 8 year old AVR but I bet you could improve on that noticeably.

Maybe even an outboard amp to go along with your Pioneer.

Just things to consider before giving up on your RF-7II's.

Bill

I definitley dont plan on giving up on them. I really like them and im sure there is something that can be done to make them sound more full. But right now its not there for music, and im not sure why. The AVR is set to pure direct/direct when playing from the optical in on stereo.

I spend a lot of time on the AVS Forums and many people have told me that an external DAC is practically "snake oil." But in the past year I went to CES and visited a booth where they had a Macbook Pro playing itunes out through the Benchmark DAC2 over to an amp plugged into a pair of B&W CM10 and it sounded amazing. I walked away thinking thats the sound I want to hear when I listen to music. Im just not getting it with my RF7ii's which doesnt make sense. I wish I had access to a good DAC/Amp so I can see first hand if having an external DAC truly makes a difference.

I spend a lot of time on the AVS Forums and many people have told me that an external DAC is practically "snake oil."

$300.00 power cables, speaker wire, etc., maybe, but quality external DACs, I disagree.

But in the past year I went to CES and visited a booth where they had a Macbook Pro playing itunes out through the Benchmark DAC2 over to an amp plugged into a pair of B&W CM10 and it sounded amazing. I walked away thinking thats the sound I want to hear when I listen to music.

See. ;) 

Im just not getting it with my RF7ii's which doesnt make sense.

Maybe an outboard amp with some grunt may be the ticket.

I wish I had access to a good DAC/Amp so I can see first hand if having an external DAC truly makes a difference.

Also, if 2-channel sound quality is your main goal, then your Pioneer AVR is most likely your kink in the hose.

Have you considered just trying a few CD's so you can completely rule out the problem being the RF-7II's? 

Bill

i didn't think fiber optic plays back Lossless.....

I play lossless flac/wav from my PC network to my Samsung TV to my CA 840C DAC via fiber optic. 

Fiber optic will not play lossless(hi rez) DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD.

Bill