Should I bi-amp my RF-62II

Pintoracer

I have tried it and did not hear any difference.  Then I tried it stereo power amp a did not hear difference.  Wire is fairly inexpensive so give it a try.  This hobby is about learning for yourself.

I'm offically on the quest for audio bliss.

To Bi amp with a single source such as a receiver probably will not affect anything beneficial since you are drawing from the same transformer to supply the additional power. If you were biamping with a two channel amp to supply power to your woofers while letting the receiver channels provide power for the tweeter it may improve the sound. My  two cents.

That is an interesting idea! I may have to try that eventually. Gonna have to start saving my pennies.

• 3 weeks later...

I put the jumpers back on and did away with the bi-amp mode on my 1911. After listening for a few days, I don't think it was making that much difference. Plus, it was just taking power away from the other channels if my understanding of how the receiver ditributes power to each channel is correct.

I'm seriously considering upgrading my receiver to an AVR-X4000 or an AVR-4520CI. Maybe even adding an amp later on and using my receiver as a preamp.

I only kept my X4000 a month or so. I now have it narrowed down to a SC-87 or 4520CI.

I thought the amp section in the X4000 was the weakest of any AVR I have owned over the last 10 years or so, and I have owned about 10 in that time period.

I only kept my X4000 a month or so. I now have it narrowed down to a SC-87 or 4520CI.

I thought the amp section in the X4000 was the weakest of any AVR I have owned over the last 10 years or so, and I have owned about 10 in that time period.

Thanks for the info. I haven't read much about the X4000. Most of the opinions I've read on the 4520 have been positive.

I really think I need to upgrade my sub as well. The RW-8 I have is ok, but small and not much power. I'm not sure what I want. I welcome any recommendations y'all may have.

Edited by Pintoracer

Right now I'm in an apartment. The room is its in right now is about 13'X17'. I'm only planning on being in an apartment for another year or so. Not sure about what size room it will be in when I finally move into another house. Budget wise, I'd like to keep it under 750 if possible.

If you can find an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus, I think it'd fit in nicely with what you have.  Trouble is that Outlaw discontinued them for a new model (which I haven't heard yet), but for the money it's a nice sub that would go well with your 62s. 

• Like 1

Hope it's helpful, Bryan.  You've got a nice system there (I used to have the previous generation RF62, RC62, & RB51).  I know I really enjoyed having it...of course, then the upgrade/modification bug struck!  Unfortunately, I didn't own the 62 system at the same time as the LFM-1, so I can't 100% tell you how they sound together, but I think you'd be pleased and it'd definitely fill your room.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 1

Hope it's helpful, Bryan. You've got a nice system there (I used to have the previous generation RF62, RC62, & RB51). I know I really enjoyed having it...of course, then the upgrade/modification bug struck! Unfortunately, I didn't own the 62 system at the same time as the LFM-1, so I can't 100% tell you how they sound together, but I think you'd be pleased and it'd definitely fill your room. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks! I'm going to do some reading and learn as much as I can about my options.

Hope it's helpful, Bryan.  You've got a nice system there (I used to have the previous generation RF62, RC62, & RB51).  I know I really enjoyed having it...of course, then the upgrade/modification bug struck!  Unfortunately, I didn't own the 62 system at the same time as the LFM-1, so I can't 100% tell you how they sound together, but I think you'd be pleased and it'd definitely fill your room.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm officially bitten by the upgrade bug.  I ordered an SVS PB-1000 sub last night.  Can't wait for it to get here.

Edited by Pintoracer

I have heard that you can get an improvement if you're an audiophile and have big nice speakers and nice separate amps, running it all full range. Basically you're running two separate amps to the speakers at that point. And, maybe it makes sense to some degree. If you're running full range and some bass drains your amp's reserves, that doesn't affect the other amp sitting there ready to attack on the upper end.

But, doing this with a receiver and cheaper speakers running as "small" is probably just a waste of wire and two amp channels. Nothing wrong with trying it though.