Interesting Speaker

NOSValves

Yep! That be some BIG JBL..... No doubt a very nice sounding setup there. The Speaker shop owner I do business with has something similar. He literally had the ceiling tile bouncing pumping a 19hz sine wave through them. Then he played some score from some movie through them, and the dynamic range was off the charts. I was mighty impressed.

• Like 2

During my early days on this forum, JBL did what they called a "tent sale", where they sold a boatload of goodies left over from an insurance payoff from the Northridge earthquake IIRC. The insurance paid off entire contents of warehouses, but yet much of that gear was still good, so JBL sold these items for the tax and shipping. I picked up two of the 4638 LF cabs for under $450 total - delivered  (now retail for $1500 EACH).

But what I will forever be kicking myself in the arse for was not knowing enough to pick up the high frequency sections for these cabinets. They too were available for tax and shipping, but as there were less of them those drivers and horns sold very fast. Me being new to the forum and JBL specifics didn't know enough to buy all that stuff up. I was looking for a low cost sub alternative for my home theater, and several here were picking up on the 4638 for this and similar purposes.

I'll never forget the conversation I had with the JBL person handling these sales. When I told him that I was using these cabs in my home theater for LFE, he thought I was nutz. But looking back on it, this was one of the best audio purchases I have ever made. I only wish I knew enough what the hell I was doing to get the top sections too.

• Like 4

I think I'd go with one of the bigger mid horns and a tweeter... I would love a set of JUB base bins but not sure how I would find room for them... the horns they offer with them have always turned me off I don't like to listen to my music blindfolded ;)

Edited by NOSValves

• 6 years later...
On 4/18/2015 at 7:20 AM, NOSValves said:

Anyone have any idea what it is? I found the picture on facebook.

post-5357-0-58600000-1429356018_thumb.jp

Looks similar to  a JBL 3632 T from the JBL Cinema line , but with only one woofer. Yes, I know this is an old thread, so please do not tell me that this is an old thread. These were tri amplified speakers, meaning you will need 3 amplifiers to run them. Not sure if they had a crossover built in or not, but if not, you will also need an electronic crossover as well. On another forum, a poster said they were bright, since they were designed to radiate through a movie screen. But because they are tri amplified, you will have control over the way they sound. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ka7niq said:

Looks similar to  a JBL 3632 T from the JBL Cinema line , but with only one woofer. Yes, I know this is an old thread, so please do not tell me that this is an old thread. These were tri amplified speakers, meaning you will need 3 amplifiers to run them. Not sure if they had a crossover built in or not, but if not, you will also need an electronic crossover as well. On another forum, a poster said they were bright, since they were designed to radiate through a movie screen. But because they are tri amplified, you will have control over the way they sound. 

Ummmmmmm yup.... 

Screenshot_20211004-080311_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, ka7niq said:

If those are your speakers, do they have crossovers built in so all you need to do is hook up the amplifiers ?

Yes. 4722N.  The come in a passive version (which I have) and a biamp version.   As you go up in the JBL cinema line, they have some pretty serious systems and they are either biamped or triamped.  The height on all of those is far too high for a residential listening room I feel, unless you are in  platform raised theater seating. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Yes. 4722N.  The come in a passive version (which I have) and a biamp version.   As you go up in the JBL cinema line, they have some pretty serious systems and they are either biamped or triamped.  The height on all of those is far too high for a residential listening room I feel, unless you are in  platform raised theater seating. 

I totally agree! I am not afraid of big speakers, I am playing with these old Peavey Speakers, at the moment, that I bought for only 100.00 for the PAIR ! I have them mounted in the corners, firing at the center of the room. The Peavey horn crosses over at 800, but it is said that in a home environment, you can cross the horn a little lower. Where does your horn crossover at ? 

Peavey 115 sc and Horn top.jpg

1 minute ago, Westcoastdrums said:

800 via passive network, 630 if I went active and biamped. 

Yes, that what I can do with these old Peavey's too I am told. The Peavey horn has a 22a driver in it that only goes up to maybe 10 k w/o any EQ.

A guy locally has a pair of some JBL 16 ohm drivers and a big *** horn, and we are negotiating on the price, or maybe a trade. Of course, I would have to bi amp, since they are 16 ohms and will not work with my crossovers, and in the Peavey, the crossovers are inside the horns. I really like your speakers! Perfect Size! How much did they cost ?