Horn Loaded Subs....

SWL

In my experience it is the same issues regarding the room for both, but some horns need/want corner placement or the proximity to a wall. For example my tuba table is rear firing, so it does best in a corner or near a wall, but my F20s don't require that and are somewhat flexible in their placement. It seems that room issues tend increase as well when you start using multiple subs.

Edited by tromprof

The same rules apply to either design, but with horns there's no additional distortion in the upper pass band to make up for any cancellations that take place at the listening position.

IOW, if there's a null or mode experienced while walking around the room, they will be much more easily discernible with a horn. An educational endeavor.

That could easily be misconstrued for being "picky".

...and tapped horns can not.

How did you come about this? Because I haven't run into this issue in the past with mine.

What I did run into however were problems with the nearest boundary, where it was found to be considerably more flexible than the cabinet, thus not much of a help (possibly even a detriment) acoustically. IME,  any of the DIY tapped horn design types with the drivers situated close to the mouth could stand to benefit from pointing towards some boundary if at least to squelch any HF noise coming from the driver, so long as the boundary is sufficiently inert.