Crossover settings for klipsch speakers?

felipe

Hi everyone. I'm new here (and new to klipsch speakers). I recently had the Andrew Jones pioneer bookies with the matching center. I now have the klipsch reference R-15M bookies with the R-25C matching center. I'm running them full range for the time being to break them in a little. Any thoughts as to were I should set the crossover on the AVR to? I'm running dual SVS PB1000 subs and my AVR is the Sony STR-DN850. Thanks:)

• Like 1

Hi everyone. I'm new here (and new to klipsch speakers). I recently had the Andrew Jones pioneer bookies with the matching center. I now have the klipsch reference R-15M bookies with the R-25C matching center. I'm running them full range for the time being to break them in a little. Any thoughts as to were I should set the crossover on the AVR to? I'm running dual SVS PB1000 subs and my AVR is the Sony STR-DN850. Thanks:)

Just by looking at the Klipsch spec sheets, my guess is that your R-15m could crossover at 80 Hz (80Hz is the traditional place to crossover even much bigger speakers), and the R-25C center at about 90 Hz (if you have it), or 100 Hz, if you don't.

OTOH those small speakers need to be protected.  If you are going to play them back at cinema level, maybe you should crossover all of them at 100 Hz.

Edited by garyrc

Thanks for the advice garyrc. I'll try the 100hz xover once I'm done with the break-in process. Speaking of which, you or anyone else know what the break-in period for these klipsch speakers are?..if there is one?

Thanks for the advice garyrc. I'll try the 100hz xover once I'm done with the break-in process. Speaking of which, you or anyone else know what the break-in period for these klipsch speakers are?..if there is one?

Opinions vary.  What we hear can be quite different from what we can measure.  Somebody at Klipsch said that as far as what we can measure is concerned, 15 minutes (!)

I think that my (stock) Klipschorn upgrade sounded better after a few weeks than it did at first ....... but, there is no way for me to distinguish between a real change and my own psycho-perceptual adaptation. 

• 6 years later...

What up! First time ever posting on a forum, and although I’ve learned a lot in my 5-6yrs of experience with my klipsch set up, I thought I could help since I recently lowered my surround speakers (R-15M) from 4ft above ear level, to about 1.5-2ft above ear level when sitting. 
So, in my experience with my klipsch set up (R-25C) center, R-28F(Left/Right), (R-15M) surrounds, and R-500SA(as front height elevation speakers), with two(2) R-12SW. Running it with 14AWG CL2 rated mono price wire, where previously I had monster cable @ 16awg.

Receiver is a demon “In command series” X2300

My crossover setting for my R-15M has always been 90Hz. 
Center 90Hz. 
Towers 80hz. 
Atmos/elevation 100Hz 

Subs(receiver settings) LFE+Main 120Hz. 

Note; Crossover IS important, but remember that is only ONE of many aspects that CONTRIBUTE to your overall listening experience. 
if you ask me, LEVEL MATCHING speakers and subwoofer so they are all running the same is more important than crossover , as crossover is bass that gets sent to the subs after certain HZ, compared to the level (DB) your speakers are playing so all sound gets to your ears at the SAME TIME. 

if this information is new to you regarding (DB) level/ matchmaking all speakers and subs, it’s easy. Go to Amazon, purchase a good quality SPL meter , place in the main listening position at ear level(away from your body), and LEVEL match ALL speakers to either 70,75 or 80 DB, with your subwoofer(s) playing at the same DB or in my case , 5DB higher than my speakers. 

Speakers 80DB

SUBWOOFER each leveled at 80, but since I don’t have individualized subwoofer settings and they share the same signal, they’re both matched at 80Hz, with a total of 85DB when both are on and measured.