New Klipsch Flagship Center

Scrappydue

I have the luxury of having on hand an RC 7 and RC 64 ii. That RC 64ii is just so dang long it really makes it hard to fit it in. I think Metro is on the right path as if you are going with wide center, might as well make a DIY RF 7ii center to match the LR.

The RC 64 ii is 35 and 3/4 inch wide. The RC 7 is 26 inches wide.  

• Like 1

I don't know about jaw dropping. I think that is the reason for this thread.

I have owned 2 RC-64's and 2 RC-62's, I think their performance is more similar that most people want to believe. I kept the RC-64 because of looks alone,move he 4 copper woofers!

Love the idea.

For me the most important speakers are the Center & Subs (everything else augments or fills in what they can't provide)

I always stayed with my original RC-7.... & never made the move to the 64-ll. (space has never been an issue for me)

I'm sure the Quad 6-1/2's have their strengths (& slightly longer than my RC-7)... but always felt that I'd miss my Dual 8's.

One thing I've always wanted to address or improve upon, is expanding the sweet spot & widening the center sound stage.

With 2-3-4 people it's obviously fine, but add more people, the sweet spot seems to shrink & somewhat diminish. 

The Dual 8"... RC-7 is: 26"

The Quad 6-1/2"... 64ll is 35-3/4"

I would have to guess a Quad 8" would have to be around 45-48"

That expansive sound stage would have quite an impact & definitely increase the sweet spot. Right now if I switch to

the 64ll... I only gain about 4" on either side of the sweet spot. With a Quad 8"... I'd almost double it. Excellent!

Edited by Nismo

Certainly not jaw dropping compared the RF7ii Center. I think my wife would go ahead and spontaneously combust if I were to mention a 4 ft wide center. She was kind a smoking when I got the RC64ii and the Lil Wrecker LOL. :D . Puts a new twist on smoking hot!

• Like 2

While I agree in all occasions that identical LCR is the only true way to go for perfect front soundstage symmetry, in most family room theater settings it is just not practical.

With that said, my RC-64 rocks with action movies, detailed with dialog(NAD EQ tweeks), and great punch and midrange clarity with multichannel music.  With twelve 6.5" drivers in my 5.4(I know Scrappy it is really only 5.1 ;)  :D) family room system, the surround symmetry is awfully good.

Bill

• Like 1

I don't know about jaw dropping. I think that is the reason for this thread. I have owned 2 RC-64's and 2 RC-62's, I think their performance is more similar that most people want to believe. I kept the RC-64 because of looks alone,move he 4 copper woofers!
finally someone gets the point of this thread. 

you guys that have never heard the 510 horn don't even know what you are missing. anyone can write ref head (pro cinema head) and ask what he thinks of the 510 horn coming from the rf-7ii and rc-64ii

i know everyone is ok with what they got but i am talking a over the top flagship model. something that would have fit the bill "of the biggest release in 10 years". thats what i would see.

and i would gladly buy it and would have no problem paying that kind of money. 

finally someone gets the point of this thread.

I get the point. Will it timbre match with just the pro lines?

Bill

no nothing to do with the pro line except for borrowing the HF. strictly new flagship reference. Whatever replaced rf-7ii would be nice something maybe like a two way klf-30? Dual 12's with a 510 horn also. Just me dreaming. I know it will never happen with speakers getting slimmer and slimmer.
  • Like 1

no nothing to do with the pro line except for borrowing the HF. strictly new flagship reference. Whatever replaced rf-7ii would be nice something maybe like a two way klf-30? Dual 12's with a 510 horn also. Just me dreaming. I know it will never happen with speakers getting slimmer and slimmer.

Gotcha.

Bill 

I've said for awhile that it would be nice if there was some pro audio paper cone drivers in a consumer type of package that looks good.  Was hoping that the new "heritage-inspired" speakers would be pro audio but they're the same copper reference drivers.  Not entirely sure this makes for the best music type of speaker though.  Usually a flagship tower has to dig deeper than what cinema type of speakers can offer.  You usually have to get into a 15" driver to get low enough to even come close to what other flagship towers are measuring at, and at that point you've just got the heritage stuff that's been around forever.  

Actually what I'd like to see is a Klipsch version of the JBL LS 80.  3-way, horn loaded, paper cones, still pretty narrow, and it has a matching center with a 3-way horn design.  A vertical tweeter and midrange in a center is supposed to be really nice for some reason or another.  

rc7 is the best reference center I have had in my room. The rc64ii did not sound as big. I sold my rc64ii after I bought the rc7, and saved a few bills too.

You guys are killing me with the RC7 talk, I honestly knew nothing of that speaker before yesterday. I'm sold on getting it for center to replace the 62ii.

What about your P27c?

the p-27c is by far the best home based center I've heard from Klipsch. I would still take 904 if I had to choose. As long as I had room anyways. If I had no room for a falsewall and cinema had to go, the palladiums are up to the task. But price on it is so

High and a portion of that obviously goes towards the finish. If you had a 1800$ center. Call it the reference signature 480 or something and offer it in the same

Finishes as heritage that would save a bunch over the palladium.

The Belle Klipsch makes a great centre speaker.  It was built for that purpose, and was designed to please PWK's first wife, Belle, and was even named after her.

The Belle also makes a good TV stand.  It's only 19 inches deep, and can be placed close to the wall. 

Having your large TV on the speaker instead of mounted on the wall means it's about a foot closer to you, making it appear a bit bigger, which is usually a good thing.

It can be hard to find a single Belle.  I had to buy a pair to get one, but now I have a spare, and it can be used as a rear centre in a 6.1 system.

• Like 1

Large TV's should be lower than the height of a Belle allows. Unless your seating position is higher than normal that is.

My 70" sits on a custom stand that is only 18" or so tall and it is perfect for my seating position.