Synergy 5.1 surround sound help

bobendele

Since I have ran my surround sound speakers to a proper position I have been able to hear them finally, I originally had them set over the mains. Very rarely do I hear anything come out of them, have done the audyssey calibration, set the crossover setting to 120hz, checked the distances and that's all good. In my haste of purchasing them I realize now that the S-20's would of been a better option and better match (100watts vs 50watts) I am however pleased with the C-10 center with the F-30s, they seem to match up very well.

Would upgrading to the S-20s produce more / better sound out of the surrounds? Because of a better match to the mains?

If I got the S-20s could I use the S-10s else where? Front heights?

Because of my living room layout, (sliding glass door to the right and stairway to the left of the main listening positions) the surrounds are not directly to the sides; they're about a foot behind to the left and right of the main listening positions and 6 foot up, total distance to main listening position of 13 for both. Running rear surrounds wouldn't be possible because of a half wall separating the living room and kitchen.

You need to remember that the surrounds are not designed to always have an intense level of output. They are designed to provide an ambient effect and spray audio around the room (WDST). As such, unless you run audio in multi-channel stereo, or have an audio track of any variety with strong surround output, you may not really notice them much at all.

Upgrading is always good, but I'm not sure you'll notice much of a difference.

I have RS-3 II's and RS-42 II's in my configuration - the only time I can tell that there's any additional wattage onboard the 3's is when multi-channel stereo is running and the volume gets pushed really hard. Even then it's not all that noticeable (we're talking 75 vs. 110). I don't really think S-20's would make much of a difference.

Side note: You might look at setting your crossover down to 80 or even 60 Hz instead of 120. 80 is the general recommendation unless you don't have a sub that can drop like it should.

• Like 1

I was more referring to his F-30 mains than the S-10 surrounds. If he isn't using the surrounds frequently at all it shouldn't cause any harm having the Xover set lower, I wouldn't think.

Edited by IbizaFlame

The XO should Ideally be set 10-15 Hz higher than the weakest speaker's FR.  My RS 35's are 81-20 kHz and I have used them with a XO of 50 Hz before without problems.  A lot of avr's will not send as strong a signal to the the surrounds and ultra low content when they are set to small.  All avr's are different so, know you system, lol.