La Scala - La Scala II or Belles? Next Purchase

rockhound

Looking for a little advice. I have the itch to a try a all horn loaded design, I do not have corners that would allow me to use the KHorns so out of the 3 listed which would you prefer and why??

My listening style would be mostly music (Rock, Classic Rock) and some tv thrown in from time to time (Blu Ray Concerts). I've heard a lot of good things about La Scala's but have not read much about Belles or the newer La Scala II.

You can see in my sig what I currently have in each room and I would rotate this next set between my man cave and the living room.

So out of the 3 which would you get and why?

• Like 1

Belles are harder to come by and usually cost more, because they look so good. I would take the LS II over the LS, but they are way more costly.

With any of the three, you would want the sub for HT duty. For the music you listen to, the LS would be economical and sound really, really good.

Bruce

• Like 2

The Belles look great, but have a smaller diameter and shorter mid horn than the LaScala even thought the drivers are the same.  For what Belles run you could spend a little extra on some K-horns and enclose them or build false walls. Enclosing them would be much cheaper and easier.  The LaScalas would be the cheapest way out and like mentioned above, would work great with your subs.

• Like 1

Belle's are the sexiest looking, but cost as much as KHorns and don't perform as well as LaScalas. 

As an extension of what Carl said above.

You can get in and out of a pair of LS for free. Buy em, try em, sell em. If you like, and have the coin, throw it down on some LS 2's.

I also agree that you shouldn't rule out KHorns. People who have used false walls said they worked very well.  With a horn sub, you may not miss the bass of a KHorn, but if you want to just turn the sub off, they are the best.

• Like 2

Belle's are the sexiest looking, but cost as much as KHorns and don't perform as well as LaScalas. 

As an extension of what Carl said above.

You can get in and out of a pair of LS for free. Buy em, try em, sell em. If you like, and have the coin, throw it down on some LS 2's.

Pretty sure you can do the same with Belle's  :)  I think I preferred the Belle's over LaScala's not sure why and it was a while ago that I sold them so no side by side comparison , could be just fond memories clouding my judgement :unsure:  Haven't heard LS 2's so I can't say but I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is no wrong choice . LaScalas are hard to beat dollar for dollar ! I currently have 5 for a little more than I sold a pair of Belle's for .

• Like 1

What is the difference in LS1 and 2? The klipsch site shows the same specs with the LS2 a little bigger dimension wise.

La Scala IIs have thicker walls, and therefore less of a tendency to resonate.  Several people have reported better bass, which could be attributed to the thicker walls.  As far as I know, that is the only non-cosmetic difference.

I have a Belle center.  It always sounded good, but, since it is behind a grille cloth wall fabric (with it's own grille cloth taken off) I ended up building a new top hat, and putting in the same (larger) mid horn that is in the Klipschorn, LS, and LS II.  That way I hoped it would be better timbre matched to the Klipschorns I use for LF & RF.  I guessed that, since I use Audyssey, I wouldn't need to change the crossovers.  That seems to have turned out to be true.

IMO, for you:

• The best choice would be Khorns in artificial corners, toed in toward your ears.  Be sure the artificial corners are very strong ... 3/4 no-void plywood on both front and back surfaces, covered with a good hardwood veneer.
  • Second choice, La Scala II
  • Third choice, La Scala

Any of the above would benefit from using your horn loaded subwoofer, and the LS I & II would probably require it.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

I think that if you are going to go to the trouble of installing braces why not install serious braces like those in a Peavey FH1You get far more structural reinforcement of the cabinet walls and of the doghouse walls and the mouth of the cabinet get braced as well. Some might not like the looks but I am in this stuff for the sound. Best regards Moray James.

post-44375-0-19440000-1429588005_thumb.j

• Like 1

Moray, I have seen the braces in the post just before yours where a grille was installed and it had a very nice look. I think that was the reason for the design. Without the grille, it makes no sense to me either. Why not brace the entire dog house as in the yellow picture?

Another thing I don't know why we don't see it some 1/4" BB glued over the dog house. It would be a great fit, and if done well, would make the dog house point full 1" BB. 

As for the sides of the cabinet, I don't know of any better way than laminating the outside walls as in the yellow picture. Perhaps the material used could be more rigid than BB so thinner material could be laminated to it. That would make the mod less cosmetically noticeable. What material is highly rigid and would laminate? What about carbon fiber? 1/4" carbon fiber would be as rigid on it's own as 3/4" BB if not more so.

• Like 1

to tell you the truth I expect you could build this cabinet from 5/8" Baltic Birch Ply or Apple Ply and use double braces styled after the Peavey and you would end up with a lighter and more rigid cabinet than the LSll, I would make the top and the bottom out of 3/4" BB. I do like the look of the LS with grill inserts but the braces really don't do it for me. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1