Klipsch wish

YK Thom

What model of Heresy?  I don't see it mentioned.  A dried up and leaky pair could really benefit from being re-glued and components tightened.  Old caps?  

I've rolled multiple sources and amps through a pair of  Heresy I's more than anything else and I can tell you the sound varies a lot!  They are quite revealing and just don't mix well with everything.  Hearing one pair of Heritage speakers with one source and amp really doesn't tell you much except for how that particular configuration sounds.  

• Like 2

Make the Heresy 8" taller and 2" deeper, then add a 4" port 8 1/5" long, and you would add 20Hz bass extension. A passive would add about half that.

Humm, sounds just like a Forte...

;)

The Forte is net about .5 cu ft smaller than the Heresy I described. Also, the Forte uses a stiff 15" passive, the K-23 which has a much higher vas and a much smaller q than the K-22. It would resemble a Forte on the front, but it would be 4" deeper, and a bit narrower.

edit: It would be much more similar to a Chorus.

Edited by mustang guy

I don't wish to sound like a heretic ....but I having recently spent time with a friends Heresey set up, I was underwhelmed. Always liked the look, concept, size and history of the model but...

They just seem lacking. In a perfect world (any Klipsch wigs reading?), I'd love to see a 21rst century reimagining of the model. A three way design has in my opinion always produced the smoothest sound. A rethought Heresey of roughly the same height and width but perhaps twice as deep (or more to fill in the missing bass), with a modern cermatillic woofer and a Reference tweeter would be just the ticket. Something to bridge the gap between bookshelf and floorstander.

Sort of a Heresy Millenium/palladium.

Just sayin'

Do you know what the source material was and the amps etc? Klipsch are highly sensitive to any weak links. I cant even listed to Digital music on my KG 5.5's unless its run through my DAC with a really smooth tube in the buffer stage and from Fidelify bypassing any computer EQ. Even running the current "high quality" Spotify sounds like garbage since they took away the ability to turn off the "Auto volume level" feature.

That being said, if you went with Scrappy's Palladium bookshelves and sub it would be an amazing setup. I go to his thread and sigh to myself now and again. :(

• Like 1

A rethought Heresey of roughly the same height and width but perhaps twice as deep (or more to fill in the missing bass), with a modern cermatillic woofer and a Reference tweeter would be just the ticket. Something to bridge the gap between bookshelf and floorstander.

A lot of folks already consider the Heresy too large for a bookshelf, but back in the day the Heresy speakers started and when JBL had the L100 Century, they were still considered bookshelf speakers. My Heresy II speakers are on a cabinet on each side of my tv and sound great.

Even the Heresy II guts in a larger cabinet (Tangent 400) is way better on the bass side, and for most, that is what is lacking.

For many, a small modification to the original Heresy crossover will smooth out the sound, and make it more aurally palatable, but not add any bass. However, smoothing out the response allows you to turn them up more without taking your head off, and will make you think you have more bass.

Oh... welcome to the forums.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 4

A rethought Heresey of roughly the same height and width but perhaps twice as deep (or more to fill in the missing bass), with a modern cermatillic woofer and a Reference tweeter would be just the ticket. Something to bridge the gap between bookshelf and floorstander.

A lot of folks already consider the Heresy too large for a bookshelf, but back in the day the Heresy speakers started and when JBL had the L100 Century, they were still considered bookshelf speakers. My Heresy II speakers are on a cabinet on each side of my tv and sound great.

Even the Heresy II guts in a larger cabinet (Tangent 400) is way better on the bass side, and for most, that is what is lacking.

For many, a small modification to the original Heresy crossover will smooth out the sound, and make it more aurally palatable, but not add any bass. However, smoothing out the response allows you to turn them up more without taking your head off, and will make you think you have more bass.

Bruce

What is this small crossover modification that you speak of?

Bruce

What is this small crossover modification that you speak of?

Jeff,

Look at post #35 here:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/21969-heresy-crossover-mod-less-bright/page-2

John Albright changed the schematic by adding an 11 ohm resistor across the autoformer taps and changing the  cap to 21uFd. Dropping the tap and adding the resistor changes the crossover point, so changing the cap brings it back to the proper place. Later he mentions switching the tweeter cap to 2uFd from the 3 shown on the schematic. This is fairly simple and will smooth out the sound quite a bit.

You can read the whole thread, but it gets a tad tedious.  :(   This is for the original Heresy, and NOT the II or III.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

I believe it was Chad (maybe Alex?) that showed some prototype speakers.  Heritage inspired looks, wireless, 3 way internally triamped.  They were very cool.

They are indeed a hybrid of the things everyone loves :)

• Like 1

We don't know a lot about your friends set up.  What did he use for a source?  What electronics?  H 1's or 2's?  Have they ever been recapped?  What type room, size and treatments where there?  There are a lot of variables that can certainly make those speakers sound underwhelming.

Very true. For a lark we brought them over to my place this week. Hooked the Hereyes up to my Marantz- not a fancy schmancy Marantz, an SR5008 AVR, which is the heart of my system. They did sound much better; my freind noticed it as well. Could be the Marantz vs his Yamaha or a combo of that and the room. I have carpet and some old style Europen type furniture. His model was the IIs.

I did like them but don't think they sound as nice, warm or balanced as my mounted RB 61 IIs.

It may be my tastes or perhaps the Heritage line sound better in a larger room. Whatever it is, I prefer the Reference bookshelf series. I've heard other speakers costing considerably more, but for Jazz (which I mainly listen to),nothing has come close.

I appreciate the Heritage line and if I had more space (condo), they may be the ticket, but I am impressed with modern Klipsh and what they can deliver. Palladium is my future.

We don't know a lot about your friends set up.  What did he use for a source?  What electronics?  H 1's or 2's?  Have they ever been recapped?  What type room, size and treatments where there?  There are a lot of variables that can certainly make those speakers sound underwhelming.

Very true. For a lark we brought them over to my place this week. Hooked the Heresys up to my Marantz- not a fancy schmancy Marantz, an SR5008 AVR, which is the heart of my system. They did sound much better; my freind noticed it as well. Could be the Marantz vs his Yamaha or a combo of that and the room. I have carpet and some old style Europen type furniture. His model was the IIs.

I did like them but don't think they sound as nice, warm or balanced as my mounted RB 61 IIs.

It may be my tastes or perhaps the Heritage line sound better in a larger room. Whatever it is, I prefer the Reference bookshelf series. I've heard other speakers costing considerably more, but for Jazz (which I mainly listen to),nothing has come close.

I appreciate the Heritage line and if I had more space (condo), they may be the ticket, but I am impressed with modern Klipsh and what they can deliver. Palladium is my future.

• 8 months later...

I have actually always preferred the Reference line over the Heritage line. Not to say the Heritage line is "bad" or anything, I just like the Reference sound better. Plus, there are no matching center or surrounds when you go Heritage, they are pretty much for music listening only.

Edited by ninjai18
  • Like 1

I have actually always preferred the Reference line over the Heritage line. Not to say the Heritage line is "bad" or anything, I just like the Reference sound better. Plus, there are no matching center or surrounds when you go Heritage, they are pretty much for music listening only.

I hear you and agree. I prefer my reference to the Heresy by a long shot. I have enjoyed KHorns in a very large room but they are far from suitable for my living space. Have been hearing good things about the new RP line of stand mounts especially when compared to the Palladium.

• Like 1

with a modern cermatillic woofer

Please, NO! They are too fragile. The Heresy line are tanks and very robust. What model Heresy? Original, a II or III?

Bruce

They were IIs. Just didn't do it for me, thought they would as I usually prefer a three way.