K-402 in wood!

kodomo

I have completely changed what I am doing and decided to make a big project. I will continue working on it till it sounds right :)

hORNS.pl is making my horns. I bought the drivers from various dealers. I have minidsp to work on crossover adjustments and then I will build a passive one for 160hz upwards.

This is the system:

20hz - 38hz - Eminence Tapped horn I built with hypex plate amp

38hz - 160hz - Sealed bass arrays with Scanspeak 30W4558t00 driven by 1200watt x 2 amps

160hz - 600hz - 110cf round tractrix with Supravox 285-2000 alnico 

600hz - 1800hz - 200cf round tractrix with Radian 850pb

1800hz - 10800hz - 1000cf JMLC with Radian 475 beryllium

10800hz - 45000hz - Fostex t500amkII

post-55716-0-69940000-1436773172_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have experienced a round horn and I really liked what I heard. I have the original klipschorn squawker, the volti v-trac and a rectangular cf190hz tractrix horn I have built. The cf200 round tractrix horn sounded less coloured. I could also hear instruments seperation better as if they had air around them. The sound didn't strain. I thought it didn't sound strained before but after hearing the round one I was surprised. 

I think having multi-channels and having the jmlc between 1800 to 10800, will help the system not being beamy. I also am not planning to push any driver or any horn in the system to its limits.

My ceilings are 3meters tall. There will be acoustic absorbers on the ceiling in the first reflection zone and carpet on the floor.

• 2 months later...

That is lovely and I would love to hear it.  Well done Arash.

it's not my job. I wish it was :(  I've been looking for K402 profile with no luck. I'll start building a paif with a nive veneer on them as soon as I have the plans. If I have the plan of K402 I'll find the best way to build a wooden version and submit a well-documented topic (like this) about it and hopefully more people can build it.

Edited by Arash
  • Like 2

that's just a veneer on the lense, is it not?

Thats what I thought, but look where the compression driver mounts, its a wooden mount.

I did see that, but there is no way to control such a multiple plain bend in the wood in such a manner along it's fibers, even with steam is there?

look at the throat... the wood ends at the mouth.

11959980_817824044997389_2696340365038986973_n.jpg

to me that looks like Veneer... which is still not bad!

That's also the place where you don't want discontinuities or any other changes in the horn profile. 

The rest of the horn profile outside of the throat area is fairly trivial by comparison--in terms of acoustic performance (the reason why we have horns).  The throat area needs to be true to original form within a millimetre to hold its polar performance without HOMs being generated.

I once measured the TAD TD-4002s on the K-402s  and found a FR discontinuity on one of them (a couple of dB from 8-20 kHz).  After I centered up each TAD compression driver on its horn using an accurate shimming device, the FR discontinuities disappeared.

See the difference between the orange and blue curves around 8-20 kHz:

front three spks - one metre + sub on jubs.png

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

that's just a veneer on the lense, is it not?

Thats what I thought, but look where the compression driver mounts, its a wooden mount.

I did see that, but there is no way to control such a multiple plain bend in the wood in such a manner along it's fibers, even with steam is there?

look at the throat... the wood ends at the mouth.

11959980_817824044997389_2696340365038986973_n.jpg

to me that looks like Veneer... which is still not bad!

it's very nice work and well worth being proud of. that said as a wooden k402 it seems to be missing the "speed bumps" on the side walls that are towards the mouth of the real McCoy. Many of the Klipsch horns have such correction bumps to fix reflections from the point where the bump(s) are back toward the diaphragm. hard to see most of them with the mat finish but they are there on my KLF 20 mid horn my CF3 horns and the K402 as well. if the builder of these fine horns has actually included these and I have not seen them then I must apologize but from this photo it dose not look to be so. in any event a nice horn and I expect that with some modeling clay the throat can be adjusted to perform well. I must admit that the challenge of building such a copy seems to present a very strong attraction for many builders. It requires a lot of work and much skill to build a horn like this one. I am amazed that so very few ever opt to experiment with the incredibly simple yet extremely effective Karlson K-Tube where a few minutes with a piece of paper some tape and a pair of scissors can yield astounding results for pennies. I think that the complexity of the horn is a very strong lure one which the lowly tube will never overcome. My days of buying and trying horns is over. Paper tubes with double cutaway profiles are far more to my liking. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1